What Do You Call Your In-laws?

isanbirder

If you're lucky enough to be on reasonably good terms with your partner's family, what do you call them (a) face-to-face, and (:) when referring to them in conversation with other people? (I know this question let's itself in for silly posts, but please can we take those as said?)

I think I call my 'mother-in-law' and 'father-in-law' mae and poh; silly really, as they're both younger than I am! More often, I don't call them anything.

To other people, I call them 'in-law'... and all the remoter relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins and what-have-you) I call by name. But there doesn't really seem to be any alternative, except clumsy periphrases like 'my partner's mother'.

Edited by isanbirder

I call MIL Mae, and I don't call my wife's stepfather anything. This is on the grounds of him walking into the house and walking out with a bpttle of rum. All without asking, and I'm still waiting for a replacement. I've been waiting 5 years now. May be I should call him Wor Dor? :)

My partner and I have discussed this issue. I've met most of the family, except I guess for one brother who always seems to be out working in the rice paddies. It was suggested I call them by their names or their family title...my choice, except for one sister who has a name that if I butcher the pronunciation will come out as an expletive...so I should call her "older sister" (in Thai, of course).

:D Although no longer a resident of Thailand, sadly, but of Australia. My partner is here for 6 months, tourist Visa....He told me this story from the village, in thai...His mother was asked who is the farang whose name is on the envelope that are everywhere to make donations to the village Wat, and she replied to the woman, oh that is my son in law, in Isaan thai...thought it rather sweet considering I am a zillion years older...I called them in person mer and por, the others by first name..and during our 5 year relationship I am always addressed by all generations as Ajarn...my partner never uses my first name until now in Melbourne where "Ajarn' just doesnt work.....special hi to Ajarn PB from a grey and dull Melbourne day...yes missing Thailand terribly but hey, impermanance... :) Dukkha