Help Help Lost Carry On Suitcase In Taxi With Laptop Inside

angelparadise

The taxi driver likely sold your laptop the same night to a pawnshop or computer shop the next morning. After that the shop owner would remove your pink sticker and erase all personal data (still possible to retrieve lost data) to make it next to impossible to recognize in case it was stolen. The reason for that is under Thai law whoever gets caught with the stolen goods is liable unless you can find the perpetrator and prove it. There is no such thing as buying in good faith here.

So your best bet after hiring a private investigator would be to find whoever removed your pink sticker and resold your notebook. For that you can post a reward for the computer or information leading to its retrieval on all major online thai second hand markets.

You should include serial number and as much information in Thai as you possibly can gather about the computer.

In addition to that you could go down to pantip plaza and ask around in the second hand notebook shops.

You would also have to make it very clear you are willing to pay a nice reward in addition to buying the notebook back at market price or higher.

The chances of actually finding the notebook are still extremely slim but that's how I would go about things if I found myself in your shoes.

Best of luck!

EDIT: The key for this to work is a good reward that makes shop owners ask around because few people lifts a finger here without being paid.

Edited by lfisgd

The taxi driver likely sold your laptop the same night to a pawnshop or computer shop the next morning. After that the shop owner would remove your pink sticker and erase all personal data (still possible to retrieve lost data) to make it next to impossible to recognize in case it was stolen. The reason for that is under Thai law whoever gets caught with the stolen goods is liable unless you can find the perpetrator and prove it. There is no such thing as buying in good faith here.

So your best bet after hiring a private investigator would be to find whoever removed your pink sticker and resold your notebook. For that you can post a reward for the computer or information leading to its retrieval on all major online thai second hand markets.

You should include serial number and as much information in Thai as you possibly can gather about the computer.

In addition to that you could go down to pantip plaza and ask around in the second hand notebook shops.

You would also have to make it very clear you are willing to pay a nice reward in addition to buying the notebook back at market price or higher.

The chances of actually finding the notebook are still extremely slim but that's how I would go about things if I found myself in your shoes.

Best of luck!

EDIT: The key for this to work is a good reward that makes shop owners ask around because few people lifts a finger here without being paid.

Thanks for your reply

this is what i actually did today

i went to pantip and distribute posters and flyers about it

i m also distributing flyers to taxi drivers...

i was going to say 50000baht for the returning of the suitcase...

do you think this is a good figure?

Have you ever considered that it is not the driver who has the bag? Perhaps the next fare he picked up took it.

it's not very possible,

cos the entire carry on was on the front seat...

no passenger can sit on the front seat nor can anyone took it without the driver's notice

What do you mean 'no passenger can sit on the front seat'?

Why was the bag in the front seat with you in the back seat?

Have you ever considered that it is not the driver who has the bag? Perhaps the next fare he picked up took it.

it's not very possible,

no passenger can sit on the front seat nor can anyone took it without the driver's notice

That's where i was confused. If it was my bag it would have been sitting next to me, attached to me etc. and I would have felt a bit lost without it if I had got out of the taxi without it.

Anyway, each to their own.

Good luck with your search.

it's not very possible,

That's where i was confused. If it was my bag it would have been sitting next to me, attached to me etc. and I would have felt a bit lost without it if I had got out of the taxi without it.

Anyway, each to their own.

Good luck with your search.

i know, usually the carry on suitcase is in the back trunk with the big luggage

but this time i have too many pieces of luggage, the back trunk is full, and i have two bags with me in the back seat

then the driver put the carry on suitcase on the front seat

sigh....i know..

i know i should have put it next to me

even though it will be pile up..

but....sigh...

Thanks for your reply

If 50,000 baht won't get your suitcase back, nothing will (along with some very tedious work on your part). Since you are still determined to try (against the odds), just get the word out every way you can. I'd go back to the exact location, same time, same everything and talk to any drivers or baggage helpers or whatever, distributing your flyers.

I hope you have a very lucky day soon Angel!

Thanks for your reply

If 50,000 baht won't get your suitcase back, nothing will (along with some very tedious work on your part). Since you are still determined to try (against the odds), just get the word out every way you can. I'd go back to the exact location, same time, same everything and talk to any drivers or baggage helpers or whatever, distributing your flyers.

I hope you have a very lucky day soon Angel!

Thank you so much

I mean,

This means so much for me

I uploaded the files of the flyers

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Lost-Suitcas...le-t360442.html

if you can, can u print out some and distribute them at your convenience?

I really really appreciated...

Persistence is the key and you seem to have plenty so good luck.Must be some serious shit on your PC,according to the daily mail in london, civil servants,MP'S etc keep leaving laptops and govt. papers on trains and in taxis as well.So you are not alone.

persistence is one thing..........sollyness is another :):D .

you lost pictures.......so what!

shouldnt you print flyers in thai :D:D:D . and you want someone else to distribute for you...........am i missing something here?

Edited by francoiis

dropbox.com <-- 8 million users and growing, it;'s the facebook of file storage...

FB gets virus' and hacked into all the time.... I wouldn't trust my personal files to be stored 'online' (but hey that's just me)

Op

Whenever i have laptop it's always with me. Also backup ALL your files somewhere - with Mac you can pay for an online backup service. Pictures are the worst thing to lose imo. And if you are any kind of artist with files on your computer that's bad too. GL