Importing New And 2nd Hand Engines Into Thailand

I am attempting to import a gasoline engine from the USA

I have been told there is no problem by the customs....Then my import co tell me that they have hundreds of engines stacked up in customs air frieght warehouses.

This seems to be because you need a license from the Ministry of commerce that they DONT tell you about.

If your engine is actually here and not imported...then it is NOT here.

Therefore it is stuck.

You cannot get backdated licences .

Because it is not imported here you then cannot send it back...because it has not had the duty paid...and is not here....

Catch yisip song...

I have also been told you cannot import a diesel at all...

Does anyone know why there is a difference between new and second hand engines .

Why are so many engines from Japan at the Bang Na auto sell,,,???

If your engine is actually here and not imported...then it is NOT here.

Pardon my confusion but could you clarify this part please, I understand you're saying it is not considered "imported" without the clearance by customs but what is the above highlighted portion to be certain...

Jaysus! TIT! one says can't do it as per shipping company, one says has done it already, while I don't necessarily blame either of you since as I said TIT, it is very contradictory information without facts and would be nice to get some REAL information one can put into practice instead of this cock fight of who can and who can't in brief, summarized and secretive one liners...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Done it twice with both a car and bike engine with no import permit.

The engines you imported ..were they air frieght or sea shipping ??

I have purchased 3 Subaru engines before ...the Thai gov. apparently have an agreement and they are imported as

weighed scrap. From Japan

Unfortunately a Toyota V8 does not sound like a Chevy V8

Edited by Kaptainstingray

The engines I imported were both sea freight.

Declared as:

Used benzene car engine

Brand name

Displacement in liters

HP

Serial number

The car engine came from the USA. The broker hinted that I needed to state benzene as the fuel and that it was used.

Duty as I recall was 10%

A new crate engine may be another story, and I have not tried this.

Thank you both for the clarification it is useful information.. I have plans at some point to build myself a nice watercooled VW for the track and might have to import some of the necessary parts to make it top form..

I have purchased 3 Subaru engines before ...the Thai gov. apparently have an agreement and they are imported as

I think there you are wrong. You can't tell the difference if i do it. First of all: Important is the "fireordering" Each V8 has different sound if different "fire ordering". Chevy Pontiac or Olds, doesn't sound the same). Second: you have to make twin exhoust (left and rigt side). Put the 2 bigger muffler on the end of each pipe and the small muffler (if you need) under (in the middle) the car (not opposite way as many peaple do). Important is that left and rightside is separated (no H pipe, no X pipe) etc. If you want a softer sound you can make a H Pipe and the car sounds softer at idlespeed, but not on full trottle. But personally i wouldn't do H Pipe. So you get the "deep V8 Sound" I can built exhoust systems that way, that you can't find out that it's a Toyota V8. Lexus and Toyota V8 can provide great Sound. You would be suprised if you hear the ones i built.

Mercedes Benz 500 for example can not get any nice V8 sound, even if the exhoust are seperated. But Audi A8 can do as well.

Edited by stingray

I would look at shipping the engine in pieces. In one box a bare block. Another box a crank etc.

Declare them as auto parts.

I have the names of freight forwarders both in USA & Thailand. Let the pros handle it & be prepared to pay.

It doesn't work that way. You need "custom documents" for that engine (not for the parts). The engine has to be declared as a engine, not as parts. Must pay the import tax. With the custom documents you get a Thai engine number and this number have to be registered in the blue book of the vehicle where you place that engine in. It would be illegal if you just swap a engine without the correct paperwork. Changing ownership of the vehicle or yearly tax maybe even insurance would be impossible.

Maybe the sea frieght is a way to go...

My importer at suvarbumi is airfrieght...

This is where the engines are backing up because of insufficient paper

ie..licences from Ministry of Commerce....this is only recent ,,,so it may cover ALL imports of engines.

I tried to contact you via PM to discuss a serious inquiry regarding your 356 shells but your PM is shut off, please contact me VIA PM with your email address so I can send it, Thanks

Edited by WarpSpeed

Stingray. If a person needed a 350 small block Chevrolet engine or a 454 big block engine are those available through the Thai salvage system?

If I understand you right when you buy a second hand engine the seller includes paperwork so that engine can be added to ones tabien lote.

Stingray. If a person needed a 350 small block Chevrolet engine or a 454 big block engine are those available through the Thai salvage system?

If I understand you right when you buy a second hand engine the seller includes paperwork so that engine can be added to ones tabien lote.

Overhere almost no GM engine, but they can be imported as well, even from the states. It doesn't cost that much. I never imported a engine as i allways was lucky to get it here if i needed, so i just imported parts only. But now it's more difficuld to find "real" V8 engines (exept the 1UZ). But i know a couple of my friends who imported US V8s. Another friend imported some V8 engines from Switzerland (for a Speedboot). There should be no problem with that. One of my friend, the owner of classic carage in Pattaya is in the states now to buy and collect one or two containers with engines and parts. He should be back next mount or so. If you want i can PM his phone number.

But for the avearge Joe who wants one 454 Bowtie Rat motor for that classic Impala - he has to arrange a permit to import the engine BEFORE shipping it? Is that right?
Only if you want do the custom clearance by your self, which i would not recomment, because it's a hassle, but possible. If you using a agent or, for example, if the engine comes by a delivery company, like FEDEX or what ever, they usually call you, whan the parts, or in this case the engine, is arrived and ask if the should do the custom clearance as well. Let them do, because they have the import permit. So you pay some money, but you not get involved with the headaches. So there you don't need a import permit.

Are there any Chevrolet Engines here with paperwork?
I guewss you mean V8s. If you lucky you can get one of a older Chevy Van, where they replaced it with a diesel. But ususaly i never found Chevy V8. There is a better chance to get a Ols V8 maybe. Most american cars was Oldsmobile 40 years ago, not Chevrolet.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but came across this today and thought it might be of relevance to those looking for V8 engines in TH:

http://www.cm-club.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60499

Scroll down past the 1,001 ads to get to the juicy stuff :D

For those who can't read Thai, note that ราคา xxx000 บาท is the Thai Baht price.. :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but came across this today and thought it might be of relevance to those looking for V8 engines in TH:

http://www.cm-club.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60499

Scroll down past the 1,001 ads to get to the juicy stuff :D

For those who can't read Thai, note that ราคา xxx000 บาท is the Thai Baht price.. :)

whats the story with that website, seems to be based in US but gives prices in B? Obviously the engines aren't in LOS

does anyone know if those prices are reasonable?

cheers

DM

whats the story with that website, seems to be based in US but gives prices in B? Obviously the engines aren't in LOS

does anyone know if those prices are reasonable?

cheers

DM

That's the Chiangmai Club website, which is used by various Thai vendors to pimp their wares.. The vendor states that the prices are fully inclusive of shipping and all taxes to Thailand. As for the prices being reasonable, I dunno - ask someone who's modified them in a similar way and gone through the process of importing one to Thailand I guess :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

But it's sound like a Oldsmobile

Edited by stingray