3 Adults On A Motorbike-is It Legal?

Utterlyuseful

BTW, if you carry one person in the back of your pickup, your insurance cover is immediately void. And it's illegal. But I've counted more than a dozen kids on their way to a team game in the back of a brand-new, red-plated truck. Amazing Thailand. Who cares about the truck anyway - it's the kids who get thrown out and killed or maimed when there's an accident. And sadly, there are accidents like that.

a bit like this one . . .

BTW, if you carry one person in the back of your pickup, your insurance cover is immediately void. And it's illegal. But I've counted more than a dozen kids on their way to a team game in the back of a brand-new, red-plated truck. Amazing Thailand. Who cares about the truck anyway - it's the kids who get thrown out and killed or maimed when there's an accident. And sadly, there are accidents like that.

years ago a small engineering company in Ban Chang lost most of its workforce because they were sitting in the back of a pick up and had an accident. They were all catapulted out of the car and dead on impact. :)

Interesting statement, my truck is insured for about 11 people, (truck and insurance papers are out on the road at the moment, so I have to look it up later).

Either way there is no way they all would fit in the cab. Actually I don't think I'm allowed to have more then 5 passenger inside, 6 with the driver.

Is there anywhere you can actually find the traffic laws/rules in Thailand in English?

With all these questions it would be nice to be able to read it somewhere, and so prevent that you do something like putting 10 people in the back of the pick up if that's illegal also?

Michael

There is an English translation of the Thai Traffic Rules posted here: Link

Nothing about how many are allowed on the bed of truck though.

Got stopped and fined (paid at Soi 9) for this offense once. It is not legal.

I've also been stopped and fined for this. On that occasion I paid a plain clothes "fixer" around the corner because I didn't have the time to go to Soi 9. They were careful to make sure a uniformed cop wasn't receiving the "fine".

It's only illegal for foreigners. They may fine some Thais in an area where they're fleecing foreigners to make them (cops) appear legit, but only if some foreigners who are being fined are watching.

Has anyone ever seen a Thai family fined for this, or school kids with 3 or 4 up?

The whole idea of fining anyone for traffic infringments in Pattaya is ridiculous considering the roads are absolute mayhem 24/7.

My biggest pet hates (from a long list):

1. Thais speeding down one way streets in the wrong direction expecting people in the right direction to move out of their way.

2. Thais driving through red lights way after they've turned, expecting you to wait for them.

3. Thais driving through red lights and then blocking the intersection because the traffic is too heavy for them to clear it.

4. Here's a really good one: Thai mother holding baby in one hand on a motorcycle while riding at considerable speed.

5. Another good one: Thai mother riding motorcycle one handed with Thai child up front and one sitting behind (none wearing helmets, of course) while speaking on cell phone and riding at considerable speed. (Talk about multi-tasking)

And lastly: Thais holding umbrellas while riding motorcycles one handed.

Tropo, you really hit the nail on those pet peeves…

I was quite surprised a few years back, came down soi Wat Bun without a helmet. Turned right on Jomtien Beach road and there where the BIBs ticketing EVERYONE without a helmet. As I was waiting for my turn to get a ticket, I talked to a Thai lady driving a motorbike with a side cart. She had been fined for everyone not wearing a helmet, herself the pillion passenger and the passenger on the side cart. That's quite the fine for a local… :)

Edited by MTH

Why are various posters on here complaining about getting stopped for not having a helmet on? It's called a "muak kan nok" not a "muak kan tamruat". That's what I've tried to drum into all members of my extended family. It seems to have worked.

Wear a bloody helmet when riding a motorbike. Anyone who doesn't is a 'kin idjit

For those who don't know transliterated Thai - muak is a hat, kan means 'against', nok is to hit something and tamruat is a policeman. Understand?

Tropo, you really hit the nail on those pet peeves…

I forgot to add some really good ones.

1. Thai in car or truck racing on heavily conjested road toward the next red light while risking taking out motorcycles and pedestrians along the way. A few moments later they'll be waiting for 5 minutes at the next red light. They'll use their horn if you're holding them up too. They'll think nothing of crossing into oncoming traffic while they're at it. For some weird reason it is most important that they reach the next red light as quickly as possible.

2. Thai in car or truck overtaking on blind bends on the right side of double solid yellow lines forcing motorcycles coming in the opposite direction to pull over to the curb to avoid a head on collision. This is quite common on Pratumnak Hill and the same car will be standing in traffic a few minutes later cancelling out any advange of overtaking in the first place.

In these 2 examples you'll often see the crazed driver chatting on his cell phone. Although there are many dangerous activities which can be documented, these are among the most dangerous of all.

Why are various posters on here complaining about getting stopped for not having a helmet on? It's called a "muak kan nok" not a "muak kan tamruat". That's what I've tried to drum into all members of my extended family. It seems to have worked.

Wear a bloody helmet when riding a motorbike. Anyone who doesn't is a 'kin idjit

For those who don't know transliterated Thai - muak is a hat, kan means 'against', nok is to hit something and tamruat is a policeman. Understand?

I think in this thread we were referring to 3 people on a motorcycle wearing helmets. The time I was caught we all had helmets.

People complain because the traffic police ignore the dangerous stuff and concentrate too much on stopping unhelmeted riders because it's easy to do. It's pure revenue seeking.

Here's the offenses I've seen them police in Pattaya in 4 years of riding around the streets on a motorcycle:

1. No helmet

2. Ticketing Farang riding the wrong way up insignificant one way streets.

3. Ticketing Farang with 3 up on motorcycles.

4. Ticketing Farang for standing in front of the white line at intersections if they're the only one doing it. They've really been getting into this the past week at the Pratumnak/Pattaya Tai intersection.

5. Registration & licence check.

There's another one they really like to catch Farang on. Turning right from Pattaya Klang to 2nd Road before the green arrow shows. It's not obvious that a green arrow will follow the green light.

Another good one for cops is ticketing tourists for turning left at red lights on intersections where it is not allowed. Nothing is ever indicated in English, so it's impossible for tourists to know where it can be done and where it is forbidden.

Another good one for cops is ticketing tourists for turning left at red lights on intersections where it is not allowed. Nothing is ever indicated in English, so it's impossible for tourists to know where it can be done and where it is forbidden.

The only junction I know where you can't turn left on red is the one from second onto klang. Right in front of the police box. And yes - the only sign is in Thai.

I do think three on a bike is daft, whether illegal or not. It's obviously unsafe. Surely that's why laws are made - to protect idiots from themselves and the rest of us from the idiots? The problem would seem to be the selective enforcement of said laws.

• 2 weeks later...

First day of school today and spotted this bike with sidecar in front of us; overtook it soon after and counted nine children in all, there were preschoolers on floor of sidecar obscured in this pic.

I was able to take this pic while on the bike, as Pat was in control at the time; unsure if her friends were impressed or not when she rode in to the grounds at school.

The only junction I know where you can't turn left on red is the one from second onto klang. Right in front of the police box. And yes - the only sign is in Thai.

Now that this thread has been bumped up I must make a correction:

Wonders will never cease - they have recently put up an English sign at the corner of 2nd Road and Pattaya Klang indicating that a left turn from 2nd Road to Pattaya Klang is not permitted on red. (Please wait for signal for left turn)

WELL DONE PATTAYA.

(Some good news for a change)

Just noticed recently that there is posted one of those police warning posters on this subject at the intersection of 3rd Road and Pattaya Klang (Central). It shows 3 people riding on a moto-cycle and the notation of 500 baht in red. It's all in Thai so it either means that the legal limit is 3 persons on and any more is a B500 fine or that the third rider is illegal and therefore the B500 fine.

My understanding is it's the latter that is true.

Edited by FarangBuddha

reminded of this thread tonight; saw a crew-cab ute pull up. In the back, bench seats and 19 school children in uniform; in the back seat of the cab - four children. Only one in the passenger seat though.

So 24 children and 1 adult driver. And this is the 'official' local school bus transport.

Just noticed recently that there is posted one of those police warning posters on this subject at the intersection of 3rd Road and Pattaya Klang (Central). It shows 3 people riding on a moto-cycle and the notation of 500 baht in red. It's all in Thai so it either means that the legal limit is 3 persons on and any more is a B500 fine or that the third rider is illegal and therefore the B500 fine.

My understanding is it's the latter that is true.

Imagine the revenue they could pull in if they starting ticketing 3 (or more) X Thais with no helmets on motorcycles in the 3rd Road/Sukhumvit area, but they prefer the Pattaya Klang/2nd Road intersection where the victims are mainly foreigners and for offences such as standing over the white line which is usually only partially visible.

They would do the health of the cummunity a huge favour if they stood near schools in the mornings and afternoons giving out tickets and checking the age and licences of the kids on bikes.

After 1 or 2 pm it is quite normal to take a motorbike taxi with 3 persons (incl. the driver). No helmet is offered usually.

So there might be different rules during day / night time :-)

In the green book I think the number of seats is mentioned. Not more than 2 on a motorbike.

Personally I was fined 2 time in 4 yrs or so. First for a modified loud exhaust on my Yamaha Nuovo and 2nd time for my big bike which seemed to be too loud for one cop. Never have been stopped for a traffic violation.

After 1 or 2 pm it is quite normal to take a motorbike taxi with 3 persons (incl. the driver). No helmet is offered usually.

You must mean 1 or 2am? There are no cops around to enforce traffic regulations in the early morning hours. The bike boys know.

You must mean 1 or 2am? There are no cops around to enforce traffic regulations in the early morning hours. The bike boys know.

lol sorry, am indeed :-)

I can't remember having two girls on my bike during daytime :)

Edited by moo9

lol sorry, am indeed :-)

I can't remember having two girls on my bike during daytime :)

how do they get home? :D