My Photos From Some Of Yesterdays Bangkok Chaos

Tokay

I thought I would share a few of them. But first, some notes about what I saw.

What I mostly saw were Thais scared to death of "snipers" in the taller buildings. They are burning the tires to make it difficult for shooters to get a clear shot. I was pinned down TWICE by gunfire and I'm not sure who was shooting in our direction but they were not only horrible shots but I do not believe any rounds were coming from above. Based on everything I was hearing from gun fire, it sounded like it was coming from straight ahead, not from the roof tops or windows as the Thais believe.

The Thais fought these aerial ghosts back with fireworks and molotov cocktails, which I also witnessed them making in large numbers, putting them into boxes and then into trucks that drove away.

The Thais are also taking this opportunity to simple destroy property. They are breaking anything they can just for the sake of breaking it. It is clearly a mob rule and this chaos has brought out the very worst in the Thais who simply want to be violent and destructive. It is very sad to see this, but too many are not fighting for any cause.

I was given food, lots of water and a LOT of conversation as they tried to convince me of snipers on just about every large building. Every zone I was in was the same story, including once the sun set and these areas were in total darkness, the Thais would not drive through with their motobike lights on out of fear of being a moving target.

I saw a reporter get shot in the leg and two Thais killed.

My final thoughts on the "snipers" is that right now, they do not exist. If they did, it would be a bloodbath and you would not have random bullets shooting into the ground or the sides of buildings. I could just as easily see some punks shooting random shots into the reds just to keep them fired up and motivated to fight. The shots that did rain on us were not from professional shooters.

Having said all of that, here are a few photos from the day.

image-78CD_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-8687_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-76C5_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-AD87_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-D509_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-9C76_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-E406_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-CDB2_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-B00E_4BEFB03A.jpg

image-F86E_4BEFB327.jpg

image-4D65_4BEFB327.jpg

image-A164_4BEFB327.jpg

Thanks for the photos. It's nice to be informed. The prospect of the Thai army being left alone without journalists and others shooting photos while they pick off protesters and then deny involvement is very frightening.

Thanks for the photos. It's nice to be informed. The prospect of the Thai army being left alone without journalists and others shooting photos while they pick off protesters and then deny involvement is very frightening.

But perhaps not a frightening as your comment, which seeems to completely ignore the activities of the Reds.

But perhaps not a frightening as your comment, which seeems to completely ignore the activities of the Reds.

I did not write a historical book on the subject. I wrote two sentences regarding the necessity of a journalistic presence to chronicle government abuses as have occured many times in the past.

image-D509_4BEFB03A.jpg

3469140828_c4b22ac856.jpg

The "Barricade Illustration" from Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo

"Theorists of social movements have long recognized that the "ecology" of an environment-its physical features, the ways in which people live, communicate and conduct their personal relations-have been an essential components in developing a repertoire of collective actions. The dense, labyrinthine streets of pre-Haussmann Paris, twisting without order, unmapped and unknown to provincial troops, suggested an extremely simple and effective tool of urban revolution: les barricades. Formed from cobblestones, carts, construction material, trees, and anything the urban poor could get their hands on, a barricade turned a street into a fortress. In the days before modern weapons, a soldier's clumsy musket would have little advantage over a rioter's iron club, wooden slab or hurled stone.

"The Parisians took to the streets often. UCSC History professor Mark Traugott documents over 150 discrete barricade-forming events between the first barricades in 1588 and the student barricades in 1968. (Recent Parisian uprisings, such as those in 2005 and 2008, have been more mobile. Indeed, industrially-manufactured barricades have been used at the Sorbonne to control space and prevent riots.)

"Each generation took a turn at the barricades. Some took several. Victor Hugo places the climax of his masterwork, Les Miserables, at a barricade during an unsuccessful 1832 uprising. This engraving is from the first edition of Les Miserables. It depicts the work of the urban poor and students in building the barricade."

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37019042@N06/3469140828/

Actually, my photo I took on my last trip to Paris in 1832. :) Interesting: I wonder what historical/sociological/ecological insights we could gain from the Thais' use of old tires? :D

Edited by toptuan

They never denied anything as such. They have always said that they will use live ammo to kill if there are shot are and they are in danger. This is no longer a peaceful demonstration by the RED. They are trying to disrupt and kill the army. I have no sympathy for any one that tries to kill first.

Regarding the ARMY, I was treated with absolute respect by them everywhere I went. Nothing but smiles and friendly conversation. But I also know they now carry live rounds and have the green light to use them should they need to. For as much as I want to think that is a horrible idea, I also have to remember (as we all do) that being in the military is about following orders. Those poor boys are following orders passed to them and will kill when ordered to. To fire against your fellow countrymen would be a horrible situation to be in, and even worse if you're a red shirt under your uniform.

"Contained Chaos" are the only real words that comes to mind when trying to describe everything I saw. The army has most of the red areas contained, yet within that area some the reds are in full self destruct mode. Also, within that containment, there are always a few sois here and there unguarded allowing the reds to slip in and out. The whole thing is very confusing when you look at it from a tactile standpoint.

The gunfire I did encounter was not from the ARMY. It was too sporadic and poorly aimed to be from trained riflemen. The shots were sloppy and lacked any real focus. Like I said before, it could be other reds keeping the mass amount of reds fired up and in attack mode, or it's yellows or random thugs causing trouble.

Interesting stuff, especially about the army. Can I ask if you were scared walking around at all? I don't consider myself that cautious a person but I'd be running at the first sound of gunfire. Some very nice photos too- especially this one-

image-76C5_4BEFB03A.jpg

They have always said that they will use live ammo to kill if there are shot are and they are in danger. This is no longer a peaceful demonstration by the RED. They are trying to disrupt and kill the army. I have no sympathy for any one that tries to kill first.

At Suk and Soi 0, where the entrance and exit tolls are, there is a check-point there. At about 2am I watched a speeding taxi coming towards the point and the entire group of ARMY jumped up, took position and aimed rifles at the taxi. I'm not sure what the driver was trying to prove but he saw this and came to a rapid stop. The group approached the car with caution and there was some scolding going on, then the driver went on his way. I thought for sure he was going to get a car full of lead.

Edited by Tokay

Thanks for the photos. It's nice to be informed. The prospect of the redshirts being left alone without journalists and others (or CCTV cameras) shooting photos while they pick off people and then blame it on the army is very frightening.

Regarding the ARMY, I was treated with absolute respect by them everywhere I went. Nothing but smiles and friendly conversation. But I also know they now carry live rounds and have the green light to use them should they need to. For as much as I want to think that is a horrible idea, I also have to remember (as we all do) that being in the military is about following orders. Those poor boys are following orders passed to them and will kill when ordered to. To fire against your fellow countrymen would be a horrible situation to be in, and even worse if you're a red shirt under your uniform.

"Contained Chaos" are the only real words that comes to mind when trying to describe everything I saw. The army has most of the red areas contained, yet within that area some the reds are in full self destruct mode. Also, within that containment, there are always a few sois here and there unguarded allowing the reds to slip in and out. The whole thing is very confusing when you look at it from a tactile standpoint.

The gunfire I did encounter was not from the ARMY. It was too sporadic and poorly aimed to be from trained riflemen. The shots were sloppy and lacked any real focus. Like I said before, it could be other reds keeping the mass amount of reds fired up and in attack mode, or it's yellows or random thugs causing trouble.

I agree with a bit of your post, but "trained riflemen". We are in Thailand, some are trained, most are not. I've watched Thai army paratroopers jump into lakes and drown, several of them at a time. It's appalling what they are asked to do sometimes with piss-poor training and equipment. "Shots sloppy and lacking any real focus", sounds like military to me, but perhaps not.

Can I ask if you were scared walking around at all? I don't consider myself that cautious a person but I'd be running at the first sound of gunfire.

Of course I was afraid. I'm just one of those who are able to remain calm in such situations and think straight, even if I am scared to death.

Running at the first sound of gunfire is actually the smart thing to do.

Good pictures and an informative post. But I have to ask why you are putting yourself in danger wandering into hot spots during this time? Are you a budding journalist, a danger seeker, Thai, or just bored? After all a level of interest that leads to being 'pinned down by gun fire' is not normal.

Just a comment about the Reds and their so called peaceful protest. On Friday on the Nation web board there was a video of the execution of a Thai Army truck driver at Din Daeng. The guy was pulled from his cab, he waied at everyone , regardless he was beaten, fell to the ground, there was a shot, everyone jumped back , the shooter patted him on the chest, an ambulance pulled up , the body was thrown it and that was it.

The video was shown on Thai TV. The shooter and other participants are clear to see. There were two other soldiers in the truck as well , one on the back with a weapon. The destroyed army truck often shows up in clips

Just a comment about the Reds and their so called peaceful protest. On Friday on the Nation web board there was a video of the execution of a Thai Army truck driver at Din Daeng. The guy was pulled from his cab, he waied at everyone , regardless he was beaten, fell to the ground, there was a shot, everyone jumped back , the shooter patted him on the chest, an ambulance pulled up , the body was thrown it and that was it.

The video was shown on Thai TV. The shooter and other participants are clear to see. There were two other soldiers in the truck as well , one on the back with a weapon. The destroyed army truck often shows up in clips

I saw that clip too, perhaps someone could send it to the BBC whose reporting has been extremley Bad against the CURRENT PM and the army IMHO.

BT

I agree with a bit of your post, but "trained riflemen". We are in Thailand, some are trained, most are not. I've watched Thai army paratroopers jump into lakes and drown, several of them at a time. It's appalling what they are asked to do sometimes with piss-poor training and equipment. "Shots sloppy and lacking any real focus", sounds like military to me, but perhaps not.

You may be 100% right on this one. I was unable to see who was firing. I just know it was very sloppy work, almost random shots through the smoke (with what sounded like small caliper weapons) hoping to hit something on the other side.

Thanks for the posting and pics.....very hard to train military to shoot at moving targets within a city....knowing the people are from places and backgrounds as yourself...I would not be surprised if ordered to shoot it is easier for some young recruits to shoot Farangs walking around taking pics....who knows when some messed up bargirl's brother, boyfriend, husband or Dad has live rounds and an order to shoot....no need to have pics of you laying in the street !!!! :)

These soldiers could have easily fought off the mob as they had at least one automatic assault weapon. They surrendered and were beaten badly and shot. I bet none of them will make that mistake again. :)

ulysses....

did you see that referenced video clip as well, post #16?

could you provide the source and location of that video clip, pls? thx much.

Edited by nakachalet

These soldiers could have easily fought off the mob as they had at least one automatic assault weapon. They surrendered and were beaten badly and shot. I bet none of them will make that mistake again. :)

ulysses....

did you see that referenced video clip as well?

Nakachalet it's all over yesterdays 'Red Shirt Rally - live update Saturday' thread and I think there are 2 of them, different viewpoints....repeated in replies many many timeszzzzzz. Dont have time to hunt but likely you should start around Page 40+ :D

These soldiers could have easily fought off the mob as they had at least one automatic assault weapon. They surrendered and were beaten badly and shot. I bet none of them will make that mistake again. :D

ulysses....

Nakachalet it's all over yesterdays 'Red Shirt Rally - live update Saturday' thread and I think there are 2 of them, different viewpoints....repeated in replies many many timeszzzzzz. Dont have time to hunt but likely you should start around Page 40+ :D

Ooops - I mean the 'More Bloodshed...' thread :)

These soldiers could have easily fought off the mob as they had at least one automatic assault weapon. They surrendered and were beaten badly and shot. I bet none of them will make that mistake again. :D

ulysses....

Ooops - I mean the 'More Bloodshed...' thread :)

-------

ok thx

found the referenced video....

red shirt animals stop army truck kill soldier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rGqZDvRa_U...eos=GCdSFI_PejM

in reference to the above video....

the lady announcer sounded very much like a beginner.... or a redshirt sympathizer rather....

she said that the nor-por-shore (redshirts) was trying to cause bodily harm.... (the soldier was shot, lady....!)

i could only guess that those soldiers were thinking that they were 'watermellons' soldiers.... and thus no nor-por-shore would harm them, for they are on the same side and are serving the same master....

any soldier would have, as many posters suggested, open fire for self-protection and scattered the crowds....

a very expensive lesson is taught.... but not necessarily learnt.... :D

other soldiers on the truck, as the lady reporter continued, were beaten.... guns seized and vehicle damaged....

and that was the story that was.... very sad.... poor watermellons.... my deepest sympathy for everyone concerned....

apisit.... how could you be so naive.... ????????????

pls do exercise your entrusted and court confirmed constitutional rights to protect the ordinary citizen....

how many more innocent lives need to be sacrificed for the sake of being civil to the redshirts and their supporters....?

-------

in the not too many days ahead.... the ordinary people would also join other disobedient groups.... to call for your personal as well as govt accountability....

the terrorists demand your resignation for their obvious reasons....

but the ordinary citizen would demand your resignation as well.... but for the opposite reason....

your inactivity, your indecision, your lip-service, your non-caring for the defenseless citizen who depend on you... but instead....

you are depending on them to act on your behalf....

WHAT IS REALLY DETERRING YOU FROM TAKING DECISIVE ACTION AGAINST THE TERRORIST GROUP?

are your family members being held hostages....?

pls do let us know your difficulties.... so we might understand your indecisiveness and your fears....

we want to continue to support you that is for sure.... but you are creating circumstances that appear....

you value nor-por-shore, redshirts, more than law abinding citizen and your own supporters....

you surely do not.... do you, sir....?

pls do take decisive actions now, sir.... expeditiously sir.... to save yourself and the democratic party....

and especially thailand.... from unwanted lawlessness....

our beloved thailand surely deserves better performance and decision from a top notch politician like yourself sir....

if you do have personal reasons and reservation on the performance of your constitutional duty, we do understand.... but

pls do appoint someone else worthy to carry out this honorable duty, sir....

our family members are your friends and your supporter still sir.... but no one wants to see thailand suffers much longer.... sir

we implore you to act now sir.... and to act decisively sir.... and to take drastic action immediately sir.... to protect thailand.... sir

and i'll tell former pm mr chuan the same thing.... sir

Yesterday afternoon I was at Victory Monument and was surprised to hear the crowd there cheering up the guys bringing tires to burn on the barricade on Rajaprarop. I had the feeling all the people there were supporting the Red Shirts though most of them were just people trying to walk home. No one seemeed to support the Thai army which was trying to clear the barricade. Your pictures of today's events refelect exactly what I witnessed yesterday. They're great.

Besides I haven't been able to go home for 3 days now......

I did not write a historical book on the subject. I wrote two sentences regarding the necessity of a journalistic presence to chronicle government abuses as have occured many times in the past.

..so you just put on a green arm band and wander around..then cry foul when bullets come near you..come on..why not get the hel_l out of there like you should..after all you were in a LIFE FIRE AREA..don't you have a decent camera with a zoom lens..If you got hit where you were you'd endanger others lives and safety to come and get you out of there..you journos and other thrill-seekers really are something else.

The OP has obviously been in the "thick of it" and is now an expert on determining the direction of gunfire in urban warfare.

Abhisit said he would use snipers and they are at work picking off random civilians at will.

The tactic was/is to try and scare the protesters into giving up.

Like most of the government's plans they have failed.

They tried it on April 10 and it failed, now they try the same stupid tactics again!

It will not work!

They will have to go on killing and maiming with sniper fire for weeks or even months before the reds will give up!

How would you feel if your mates had been shot by snipers under orders from Abhisit?

I think you'd be as angry as hel_l and hel_l-bent on revenge, like I would be!

If you surrender you're going to be sent to prison for a long time (under Abhisit's regime) so what have you got to lose!?

Abhisit refused to allow all to go home with amnesty and now look what he has created!

The death toll are all civilians. No army men!

If the Reds are so heavily armed, where are all the dead army personel?

I've only seen reds with sticks and stones and burning tyres. A few home made rockets and firecrackers ..

Hardly a match for the army's weapons.

Army snipers in action, very clear & close up from the 50 second point onwards in this clip:

Abhisit can now be officially named "The Butcher of Bangkok"

Just wanted to comment on the Video clip that the soldier was shot dead that got taken from the VAN... that video isn't full... it was on the news as well but the full video clip... in the particular one

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D6rGqZDv...s%3DGCdSFI_PejM

parts have been snipped out in order to make the goverment look good and the reds look bad... (remember tv still under goverment control) altho I agree this is a very very sad incident... I do not blame all the reds as a result, just a few who I guess let their emotions take control. Prob the same for some of the military if they see their fellow gets shot like that.

In the FULL CLIP shown on the news a day or so ago, some of the red were really violent and bashing the truck up and trying to beat the soldiers up (tention was very high, if yur fellow reds get shot by military i guess you'd blame all the military).. some reds were like trying to punch him... HOWEVER some reds were genuinely trying to get the ARMY man into safety, and trying to shield him from his fellow reds... this wasn't the first incident that reds protected the individuals army personell when they were severly outnumbered... follow link below, this farang guy report who was present at the 10 april incident that the black guards (the so called terrorists, where actually protecting the caught army ppl)

http://www.thai-faq.com/thailand-political...red-protesters/

-the guy reported has a 3 part video clip of 10 april and report pretty un-biased, he was there himself...

As for me...

I pity the army as some are just following orders, and some do not take joy in shooting their fellow thai, however some soldier have shot randomly and hitting civilians, journalist even today reported 2 guys in a condo, just smoking, stray bullet hit them, one died one got wounded... the one who died body couldn't be taken away because it was to dangerous for police to enter...

What I think is why did all this started, my opinion is, when Taksin was in power, everybody (or for the majority) was pretty happy -sure you can't please everybody- but looking at the country as a whole, it ran.. yes there were mishaps and some things going wrong etc... but what you expect thailand is a HUGE country... but things were running, thailand was doing great for most part, yea there was room for improvement. But look at Thailand TODAY?!? Or for the past years after Taksin got kicked out...

Yea prob Taksin was corrupt but for GODSAKE who isn't in thailand or in other nations as well.. it is like saying there is no prostituation in thailand... but the charges that they charged him for was redicious, the same counts for kicking a PM for being on a cooking show... shows the safe face, corruption behind the scene at work.

I like abisit as a person but as a leader, i'm not to certain he has enough power, i believe he follows what he's more or less been told to do... he doesn't have full control... Unlike taksin he had control for most part he was powerful (and maybe that is what scared some ppl behind the scene to much), they waited until he was out of the country before doing the coup, kinda a bit low-balled. Abisit on the other hand, I think he is pretty genuine however he must bow to the powers that be... he has to tip-toe ... he has known crooked as Foreign minister and other well known crooks... anyways enuf rant...

Hope things stabilizes real soon as it is creating a huge divide, alot of thai ppl that I kno are either one side or the other... it is really sad and it is breakign the thai sociaty as a whole...

The OP has obviously been in the "thick of it" and is now an expert on determining the direction of gunfire in urban warfare.

Abhisit said he would use snipers and they are at work picking off random civilians at will.

They tried it on April 10 and it failed, now they try the same stupid tactics again!

It will not work!

They will have to go on killing and maiming with sniper fire for weeks or even months before the reds will give up!

How would you feel if your mates had been shot by snipers under orders from Abhisit?

If you surrender you're going to be sent to prison for a long time (under Abhisit's regime) so what have you got to lose!?

Abhisit refused to allow all to go home with amnesty and now look what he has created!

I've only seen reds with sticks and stones and burning tyres. A few home made rockets and firecrackers ..

Army snipers in action, very clear & close up from the 50 second point onwards in this clip:

NOT SO FAST.... XEROSTAR....

where have you been during the past weeks that you did not hear nor see any seriously injured policemen and military personnel....?

pls if you do not understand thai, you could search the youtube....

there are plenty of evidences to the contrary....

when you watch the thai news clips.... watch for those dressed in black with masks on.... they are reputedly main supporters of the redshirts....

the main supporters that the redshirts leaders have been claiming that would come to defend them and level bangkok into rambles and ashes....

in my opinion.... the thai soldiers are outmatched.... instead of the other way around....

It will not work!

Read This:

QUOTE (timekeeper @ 2010-05-17 12:07:17) post_snapback.gifTHANONG:Nation 17 05 2010

The purpose of this post is to quickly impart law-based information to inquiries perplexing some Thais and non-Thais. I reckon this is in the interest of the State and national reconciliation. If possible, please disseminate the information to all across the land.

This is also to remind all Thais (and non-Thais living in Thailand) of our duty to be familiar with our own law. Ignorance is not an excuse. Self-imposed illiteracy is vice, particularly when the nation is under crisis.

NOTE: This post is not contending whether the prescribed law is right or wrong. The data presented are not avowing whether the current law is just or unjust. This is simply to brief Thais and non-Thais to the reality of our Thai law as it presently is.

QUESTION: Can the government freeze bank accounts of anyone residing within Thai territory under Emergency Decree?

ANSWER: Yes.

QUESTION: Does the government have to first obtain permission from the court?

ANSWER: No. That is one arbitrary right of the government under the Emergency Decree. Declaration of Emergency implies that the government can exercise actions which do not need court authorization as long as the actions are sanctioned by law.

Freezing back accounts of suspects the government deems as perpetrators of the national crisis is one arbitrary permit. The caveat is simply that there is sufficient reason to consider them as suspects assisting or perpetrating the crimes against the State.

QUESTION: If the government or security forces believe I am a perpetrator, can they also arrest me without a court-issued warrant?

ANSWER: Yes.

QUESTION: Do I not have any right to resist or defend myself?

ANSWER: No – at least not at that particular moment in time. Your only right – under that particular moment – is to surrender to the arrest. If you are placed under detention, you only right – under that particular moment – is to comply. You can file the appeals later with the court, if you consider the government or security forces behaved outside the confines of law under the Emergency Decree.

QUESTION: Can the security forces execute me if I resist?

ANSWER: That depends on the nature of your resistance:

If you use a non-penetrating weapon to fight the security forces (e.g., batons, clubs, sticks, nunchaks - or even empty hand strikes such as punching or kicking), the security forces can counter with a constraining force (i.e., beat you into submission or take you down using any mechanisms to accomplish this end - just short of actually killing you).

If you use a penetrating weapon (e.g, knife, spear, sword, guns or grenades), the security forces can counter with lethal force (kill you right on the spot).

QUESTION: What if I throw stones or use slingshots?

ANSWER: Objects based on propelled trajectories are commonly though loosely classified as penetrating weapons. Thus, throwing stones or using slingshots can legally be countered by the security forces with lethal (deadly) force.

QUESTION: What if I just fight empty-handed?

ANSWER: Two elements are generally considered with respect empty-hand resistance. One is the actual physical assault itself. The other is the "intent" of the empty-hand assault.

If the intent of the fist strike, elbow strike, knee strike, leg strike or even a head-butt is viewed as to "kill or severely injure" the security troops, the troops can counter with lethal force. If the strike is viewed as merely to detract the troops from advancing, then the troops are expected to just counter with constraining force.

QUESTION: Going strictly by the penal codes, can the security forces then execute me right on the spot if I just strike them with my fist or elbow or knee or leg or head butt - or even just throw stones or use slingshots at them?

ANSWER: If the security forces view your empty-hand strikes or stones or slingshots as with intent to "kill or severely injure", then yes – they can constitutionally and legally kill you right on the spot during an Emergency Decree.

QUESTION: So what should a person do when the region is under Emergency Decree?

ANSWER: Do what the government and the security forces tell you. Avoid confrontation with them at all times. Stay out of their path. If they arrest you, do not resist. If they place you under detention, follow their dictates until you can subsequently file the appeal with the court.

In other words, understand the law and use common sense. This also means that – under Emergency Decree – it is stark stupidity to claim "But I did not use a gun or grenade or knife or sward or spear. I was only fighting with my bare hands or just throwing stones or using slingshots." Illiterates of law commonly do that.

Edited by soundman
Fixed quote tags.