Bangkok Shopping

kamarada

Hello everybody. Just did a quick tour today in the afternoon around some shopping areas in Bangkok and thought that this info will be useful to people interested in shopping.

- MBK - Closed. No information about the opening date, just "(Closed) Due to increasing political tension"

- Platinum - Closed. No information about the opening date.

- Pantip Plaza - Closed. But there's a sign that says they will open the 24th (Monday)

- Emporium - Open. Closing at 06:00 pm

- Robinson and Tops Supermarket (at Asoke) - Open. Closing at 06:00 pm

- The Emporium Stadium (the area across the street from the Emporium with huge discounts from expensive clothing) was closed today.

- Times Square - Open. Closing at 06:00 pm

- The area around Nana is quite alive as usual, with almost all shops and street vendors working.

From Siam Square till Chid Lom, Shukumvit is a disaster, with a lot of rubbish and smelling of dead corpses (probably dogs or rats). No question of shopping there the next few days, although they are cleaning everything quite fast. I don't have to mention Central World or Big C. The first, at least, will be out of order for a while.

Most 7-11 and fast food restaurants in the area are open, although closing at 06:00pm.

Regards.

Edited by kamarada

Haven't heard anything about the state of Siam Paragon, I know there was a fire there but haven't heard anything else since... then I came across this on wikipedia.

Destruction in 2010

On the night of May 20, 2010, the Paragon building and several adjacent structures, including Dicovery Center and Central World, were virtually destroyed by fire. On May 21, some walls still stand but early reports indicate a total loss of the building and its contents. Reports of the fate of the expensive automobiles on display and of the Ocean World aquarium water life, as well as other aspects of the property remain undetermined. The iMax theater was totally gutted, but the huge screen itself remains standing with only minor smoke stains. The fire is widely reported in Thai and international media to be the work of hard-core protesters following the collapse of the "Red Shirts" (a protest group, UDD) two-month long seige of the centeral area of Bangkok, seeking the resignation of the current Prime Minister and the disolving of the current Parliment. The Paragon was fully closed and locked up at the time of the fire in anticipation of any destructive acts of the of the protesters.

It won't let me post a URL but go to wikipedia and do a search for Siam Paragon

Does anyone have any news on this??

Haven't heard anything about the state of Siam Paragon, I know there was a fire there but haven't heard anything else since... then I came across this on wikipedia.

Destruction in 2010

On the night of May 20, 2010, the Paragon building and several adjacent structures, including Dicovery Center and Central World, were virtually destroyed by fire. On May 21, some walls still stand but early reports indicate a total loss of the building and its contents. Reports of the fate of the expensive automobiles on display and of the Ocean World aquarium water life, as well as other aspects of the property remain undetermined. The iMax theater was totally gutted, but the huge screen itself remains standing with only minor smoke stains. The fire is widely reported in Thai and international media to be the work of hard-core protesters following the collapse of the "Red Shirts" (a protest group, UDD) two-month long seige of the centeral area of Bangkok, seeking the resignation of the current Prime Minister and the disolving of the current Parliment. The Paragon was fully closed and locked up at the time of the fire in anticipation of any destructive acts of the of the protesters.

It won't let me post a URL but go to wikipedia and do a search for Siam Paragon

Does anyone have any news on this??

If it's true, then it's good news except for the animals at the aquarium below. I hope that they will rebuild the Siam Intercontinental Hotel as it was.

If you search "siam paragon destruction" one of the links is to JohnnyForeigners website and there is a pic of the destruction inside the Paragon cinema complex.

Actually that is a picture of the SIAM Theatre across the street. There were no visible signs of destruction of Siam Paragon, at least from the Sukhumvit side.