Robbed In Phuket

TaoNow

After a year and a half of living in a low-rent apartment in town near the Phuket provincial bus station, I had become compacent about the risk of a hold-up or theft.

But last night, a very quiet intruder picked the lock on my door (unbolted) and made off with my wallet and a pocket calendar in which I keep basic reference information such as account numbers, login names and passwords (all encrypted).

My wallet contained a few thousand baht cash, an ATM/debit card, my Phuket driver's license, a fitness club membership card, two health insurance cards (accident and in-patient), and assorted name cards and other items of no monetary value.

When I woke up at 6 a.m. I noticed the door to my room was standing open -- unusual since I lock it every night but, as said, don't usually bolt it.

I then did a quick inventory of my few possession and discovered the loss. After a few moments of Taoist reflection (a la my avatar) I had a cup of coffee and planned next steps.

1. I called the bank hotline number (around 6:15 a.m.) to cancel the ATM/debit card. I also verified that the balance was untouched from the day before when I last used the card.

2. Next, I assembled my passport, bank book, and photocopies of the plastic cards in my wallet. These items I keep under lock and key in an inconspicuous part of my one-room apartment.

3. Then I went to the nearest bank branch and processed a replacement ATM card. This took 15 minutes and cost 300 baht.

4. Now, at about 8:45, I went to the Office of Motor Vehcles ("khon song" in Thai) and waited in line for about 20 minutes before getting to the information desk. They informed me that I would need a police report of the loss -- note that this is required even if you lose your license accidentally. I would also need the residence certificate from Immo and photocopies of my passport photo and visa pages.

5. Next I went to Immo for the residence certificate. That took about five minutes and, thankfully, did not require the photocopy of my landlady's ID card. They used my 90-day report as a valid statement of residence.

6. Now, on to the Sam Gong police station to do the police report. Very fast: just 5 minutes and a processing fee of 10 baht.

7. Then it was back to Motor Vehicles with said documents (at about 10 a.m.). I waited about 20 minutes to be called, paid 105 baht for the processing fee, then waited to have my photo taken for the replacement license. That was quick (5 minutes) and another fee of 110 baht for the card.

8. So, by 10:30 I had the two key cards I needed to be viable.

9. Then I went to the local internet cafe, informed my insurance agent of the need for replacement cards, and began checking my on-line accounts for any suspicious activity. I didn't think the thief would be able to easily crack my encryption codes -- but better to change the passwords as a routine precaution anyway.

I was able to get from place to place quickly this morning through the use of motorcycle taxis -- remember, no license. And all the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful.

I report this just as a statement of how efficient and relatively inexpensive these simple -- but vital -- services are in Phuket. And as a reference to the process for anyone having to go through the same experience of replacing a lost or stolen wallet here.

To OP - you sound remarkably calm and organised in the circumstances.

We were burgled three days before our planned departure from Phuket, April 4. It took me a long time to calm down/get over it. Police attended withing 10min of being called (Chalong) then went to station to make a statement. Another policeman visited that evening. Told 'no chance' sold for Chang or yaba.

We lost all the 'ready-sale' items, laptop, cellphone, Nikon camera (new - hadn't even put the battery in), overseas curency etc. Fortunately burglar decided against taking cards and passports - had taken them out of the drawer but left them behind.

All very stressful; people say 'only possessions' but that only made it worse.

We have since been told it was a neighbour's son, about 30m diagonally from our place, clear view of our departure, he was caught inside another local's house. But no charges, nothing recovered. We are now living Sa Kaeo, too far to follow up on anything.

Made us very conscious of security, though a determined thief hard to beat - he wrecked the front door lock before resorting to popping a window from its frame. An alarm would have worked - but rental property . . .

Best wishes, try not to punch anyone who says 'could have been worse' !!

note to self : continue NOT to live in a "low rent" apartment in phuket

You must be running out of notepads with so many notes to self, how can you keep track of all your notes to self?

Yep, note to self to note to self......

Bad luck to the OP, cool reaction...kudos to you...

I find security issues in our rental house a worry, have the frame things on windows and doors, and 2 paddlocks on the front door, but bolt cutters would kill them anyway....

why not?

i been living in a "low rent" 2500tbh apartment for 3 years, the apartment complex is 1 year old,living room,bedroom,toilett and some outdoor stuff, no problem at all!

we were in a 2yo villa, one of six in a 'compound' with the property owner's house. Sunday afternoon between 1-3pm, people and resident dogs about (likely snoozing in both cases); incredibly bold however as had view of all the properties and main entrance could simply walk in, try and fail with the door, jemmy the window open and inside; likely gone in under 5min.

The policeman that came around in the evening showed how easily the aluminium joinery could be 'popped' with a medium size screwdriver. Scary.

As for revenge - it's a 22hr bus trip from where we're now living. Foiled! Was seriously offered a 'deal' involving 5000 baht and a piece of scaffold pipe but I'm over it.

Note to Jack Dawson. You are obviously a witty and highly intelligent individual. :)

Note to Midder Ping:

Yes he is. I know the man very well and can confirm that he is indeed a witty and highly intelligent individual. :D