Drunk Norwegian Amok In Air

george

Drunk Norwegian amok in air

A drunken Norwegian terrorized fellow passengers aboard a flight from Bangkok to Copenhagen, hitting a stewardess and going on a rampage that not even tranquilizers could control, newspaper Dagbladet reports.

The 40-year-old man seemed normal enough when boarding flight TG 950 to Copenhagen, but after an hour in the air he went completely berserk. With ten hours left before landing, the drunken Norwegian began his frightening tirade.

"He wanted to get out of the plane at an altitude of 10 kilometers (32,800 feet) and hit a stewardess. There is no doubt the passengers were terrified. Because he was so noisy and violent many of them noticed the disturbance," said police inspector Carsten Holder at Copenhagen's Kastrup Airport.

The crew tried to calm the man but this only made him more violent.

"Suddenly he threw himself towards the emergency exit. He grabbed the handle and tried to open the door," a passenger told the newspaper Expressen.

The crew and a few passengers joined in the struggle to get the inebriated man away from the door, and four or five people were needed to get control.

A doctor was requested over the plane's loudspeakers and a Danish physician gave the berserk Norwegian a tranquilizing injection.

"It's possible the shot helped a little, but it couldn't have been much. In any case the Norwegian must have been extremely drunk because he just kept yelling and fighting," Holder said.

Finally the crew handcuffed the violent drunk and bound him to a chair using plastic strips. When he refused to stop shouting and screaming, they stuffed his mouth full of paper and tied this in place using a strap around his neck.

Fearing further violence, the crew refused to release the man to use the toilet, leaving him strapped into his seat for about ten hours.

"He was pretty wet when the plane landed," Holder told Dagbladet.

Upon landing the unusually difficult passenger was charged with endangering the lives of fellow passengers and assaulting a stewardess.

The man told police he remembered nothing about the trip, except being fed like a baby by a stewardess at one point.

The passenger was turned over to Norwegian police after blood samples were taken.

--Aftenposten, Norway

It really is preposterous that airlines serve people unlimited alcoholic drinks and then get startled when the same passengers get drunk.

Logic dictates that alcohol should not be served, as passengers are too unreliable to exercise self-control.

( I recall that a couple of years ago, a drunken US passenger lowered his trousers and shat on the beverage trolley).

Boy,This thing is sure slow today..

I think that everyone should drop their drawers and shit on the beverage trolley..

I have seen some of the same things on long flights,

On one from Daharan Saudi to Frankfort, the Lufthansa stewardess's were selling booze by the bottle from a cart,no single drinks,just full unopened bottles,and there were to men and an ugly woman,one guy got so drunk that he thought the woman[she was married to the other guy] looked like Rachel Welsh and started trying to get into her pants right there,so everyone on the plane [except me] punched him a couple of licks and he ended up chained in his seat.

And I think that who ever sold him the booze on the plane should have to go to jail with him as an accomplice and do what ever time is given him,preferably death as he could have killed everyone on the plane had he been able to open the door.

And at least take his passport and prohibit any future flight for that ###### for life.

Airlines succeeded in banning smoking and mobile phone usage. Ditto for folk wanting to sashay on to the flight deck (that ban now seems common sense)

Some rat-assed nitwit will eventually kill some or all the passengers, then they will bar drinking as well.

Unfortunately, it always takes a death or two, or 4,000, for airlines to implement safety precautions.

Alcohol ban makes sense, it makes people unreasonable and in some cases aggressive, why take the chance?

I personnaly would like to see alcohol banned on flights,.... and if i have to eat my food with a plastic knife and fork,......... how come people are bringing on glass bottles when they buy duty free?

All the elaborate security measures are in place to confiscate even a nail file, yet people take on board huge glass bottles, now i dont know about you, but i feel that a huge glass bottle filled with an inflammable liquid is a lot more dangerous in the wrong hands than a nail file.

Ban Alcohol on Flights, good idea, ban duty free carried on Flights also. Personnaly i hate sitting next to some guy that is drunk and talking crap to me.

Should people be able to take a nail file on board an aircraft? NO

Should people be able to take a bottle filled with a volatile liquid aboard an Aircraft? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

TG is my preffered airline. I use to fly SAS to London but I had changed lately to TG as prefer the food and in flight service not that SAS is bad as they are just as good with very experience flight crews. I have seen the SAS flight crew tackling a drunk pasenger who had drunk to much during the flight from Singapore to Bangkok and they had to persuade him to get off the flight. Quite interesting as it is not the easiest thing to do.

I think that alcohol should be limited on flight, there are many passengers who drink too much. It's okay if you just fall asleep and don't disturb anyone.

Another problem is that some passengers are on medication and drink on flights, thuis can cause some very fstrange things to happen.

I guess the crew manage to handle the situation pretty but as a precaution why tempt the devil, one drink with a meal should be enough so that everybody can have a safe flight. -Dove

Hello to all,

I once spent the full lenght of a flight from BKK to Perth besides a drunken man who began speaking about his Thai wife, then asked for an unthinkable number of whiskies, and then he grab my arm and slept on my shoulder as if I WAS his wife (I am a man too). He snored like a pig all trip long, and his breathe smelled so much like alcohol that it must have been flammable. There was no way to get rid of him, and I was *VERY* embarrassed, as hostesses looked at me as if I was his partner.

They should limit the amount of alcohol that can be served on board.

I was recently on a Cathay flight from Hong to Bangkok, one large yank had a little too much, they refused further drinks, he abusively demanded more with vile language calling the stewardesses whores etc, went to the galley and tried to take cans of beer from the trolley, he was prevented by several passengers who quickly came to the aid of the stewardesses who had no chance of controlling the situation. The passengers concerned took him to a seat and he was tied down. He then demanded loudly, perhaps for the final 30 minutes of the flight that he be given 10 unopened cans when he left the aircraft. Obviously this didn't happen. He was taken off after all the other passengers had left the aircraft. Didn't see anything in local papers.

Cathay staff mentioned that they have a blacklist which they compile from incidents on their own aircraft and they add names they glean from newspaper reports etc. It was mentioned that there is no organized / consolidated global blacklist. Should be.

Fearing further violence, the crew refused to release the man to use the toilet, leaving him strapped into his seat for about ten hours.

"He was pretty wet when the plane landed," Holder told Dagbladet.

I would have been pleasant sitting next to him during the trip..... NOT

All I can say is the lad must have been doing bloody well getting pissed within an hour of take off. As the first half or so, they're not usually even serving booze, that gives him half an hour to get plastered. I reckon there's something else going on here, that the airline's not owning up to and blaming it all on this "drunk". Perhaps the guy was a schizophrenic and one drink and the change in pressure was enough to set off an attack. Needs a good hack on the case to squeeze the real story out of this one methinks. :o

Cathay staff mentioned that they have a blacklist which they compile from incidents on their own aircraft and they add names they glean from newspaper reports etc. It was mentioned that there is no organized / consolidated global blacklist. Should be.

I think there is a US list or two, but I guess they can not distribute that one worldwide for security reasons.

Hi folks,

I am quite sure that the Norwegian fellow had a good load of booze already before he went on that aircraft. For some reason - obviously an experienced man - he must have managed to get on the plane without suspicion. We all know that it takes at least one hour until we get served for the first time.

So I think we can't blame it to TG who really do a good service.

These are things that always happened and always will happen again. One of the daily events of our life.

Castelleone

I was recently flying TG from London to Bangkok - sitting towards the rear of Economy.

One berk drank about seven glasses of wine in his haste to get Economy value for money, didn't get aggressive, but vomited like a buffalo with dysentary.

So the bad news was that the whole of the cabin smelt of sick.

..the good news is that the berk was me, so I didn't mind the stench.

..the good news is that the berk was me, so I didn't mind the stench.

I would have opened the door myself to give you some fresh air. Just joking, anything can happen, but one should try to drink just one less than necessary. Don't they have this little bags anymore for 'motionsickness'?

BTW, interesting comments on glass bottles. Is it only my feeling that e.g. Black Label from duty free is no longer in glass but some material that cannot be used as sharp weapon when broken?