Where Can I Find Golf Instructor

mengyen

From chatting to people, the best tuition seems to be at the All Star range in the same Soi as the Loas Embassy. Not close to Rama 3 but if you want the best.......I had a coach called David Duccone who is an ex-Asian TOur player.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Be aware that apart from making you better, golf lessons can also make you a lot worse, know your limitations, if you have lots of natural ability everything will just fall in to place, if you do not have lots of natural ability then the golf swing can become a nightmare, have you ever seen people at the range miss hitting balls in fact they can not hit the ball, then stopping in the middle of there swing and looking back at the position of there hands etc, these people do not have a clue what they are looking at, this is what the teaching pro has been teaching them, swing analysis is only for the very very good players who are able to practice many hours a day many days a week, take a few lessons and just concentrate on hitting the ball straight or straightish, if after a few games you feel you have this natural ability then you can take further lessons and go into the swing in more detail, I have been playing for over 35yrs and was a 9 handicap back in the UK, lessons destroyed me because analyzing the swing only works if you are very good and can practice a lot, get out there and enjoy the game maybe you will be one of the few with natural ability and find the game easy.. good lucki!!

• 3 weeks later...

Be aware that apart from making you better, golf lessons can also make you a lot worse, know your limitations, if you have lots of natural ability everything will just fall in to place, if you do not have lots of natural ability then the golf swing can become a nightmare, have you ever seen people at the range miss hitting balls in fact they can not hit the ball, then stopping in the middle of there swing and looking back at the position of there hands etc, these people do not have a clue what they are looking at, this is what the teaching pro has been teaching them, swing analysis is only for the very very good players who are able to practice many hours a day many days a week, take a few lessons and just concentrate on hitting the ball straight or straightish, if after a few games you feel you have this natural ability then you can take further lessons and go into the swing in more detail, I have been playing for over 35yrs and was a 9 handicap back in the UK, lessons destroyed me because analyzing the swing only works if you are very good and can practice a lot, get out there and enjoy the game maybe you will be one of the few with natural ability and find the game easy.. good lucki!!

I TOTALLY AGREE with Kenny on this,

However sometimes it is good to see your swing to instill a better image and understanding on what you need to change.

I always avoided looking at my swing all the years i was on tour - was introduced to Jim Furyk at a Johnnie Walker event in Taipei,

and I said to him that my swing was like his and he said "Is that good or bad?" HA.... he won the US OPEN later that year !!

Anyway my swing has changed for the better since working on it with video, probably gonna play Senior tours in the future....but always available to help in the mean time.

I TOTALLY AGREE with Kenny on this,

However sometimes it is good to see your swing to instill a better image and understanding on what you need to change.

I always avoided looking at my swing all the years i was on tour - was introduced to Jim Furyk at a Johnnie Walker event in Taipei,

and I said to him that my swing was like his and he said "Is that good or bad?" HA.... he won the US OPEN later that year !!

Anyway my swing has changed for the better since working on it with video, probably gonna play Senior tours in the future....but always available to help in the mean time.

Hi Greg where are you based? been practicing a lot over the last few months, my game is now probably back to the 9 handicap I was in the UK, I am striking the ball a lot better now and my short game is far better so hopefully I can get down to maybe a 5, unfortunately for me I live on Phuket where playing golf is so so expensive, my golf is pretty much limited to the local course(Phunaka) where the green fee is a lot more reasonable, this course is a 9 hole with 6 par 3's but it's a good test with a couple of testing drives. hope you get on well on the Senior tour(would love to play pro golf but like most things it's all about money) good luck!!

if you have lots of natural ability everything will just fall in to place, if you do not have lots of natural ability then the golf swing can become a nightmare, have you ever seen people at the range miss hitting balls in fact they can not hit the ball, then stopping in the middle of there swing and looking back at the position of there hands etc, these people do not have a clue what they are looking at, this is what the teaching pro has been teaching them, swing analysis is only for the very very good players who are able to practice many hours a day many days a week.

I disagree.

First of all I would say that most players make the crucial mistake of never taking lessons in the first place. But more importantly, a majority of hackers on a driving range (and on the golf course) are a result of a combination of not knowing what to do, and an faulty perception of what their body is actually doing. If I am allowed to speculate, I would say that the majority of hackers hits shots using 85% arm and wrist power. Injuries are common, mainly because of an incorrect swing plane and complete absence of balance. The reason for all of this is that they don't understand or know what to do. This is why they look at their hands. They want to know what they are doing, so that they can compare with what they think they should do.

take a few lessons and just concentrate on hitting the ball straight or straightish, if after a few games you feel you have this natural ability then you can take further lessons and go into the swing in more detail,

I agree. In addition, a trained instructor will make sure that you both have a common understanding of your goals AND what level of commitment your prepared to make to make it happen. There 's a huge difference teaching someone to hit a golf ball to the point where he can enjoy golf compared to making a drastic swing change in order to achieve perfection. Other things, like physical conditions, will also limit your goals as well as the instructors approach (well, hopefully). Personally, I would want to see players get an understanding of the basics. Today, that's not the case.

I have been playing for over 35yrs and was a 9 handicap back in the UK, lessons destroyed me because analyzing the swing only works if you are very good and can practice a lot, get out there and enjoy the game maybe you will be one of the few with natural ability and find the game easy.. good lucki!!

I disagree to some extent.

Lessons doesn't destroy anything, bad instructors do. It is, unfortunately, common that instructors (yes, PGA instructors as well!) have a model view of the golf swing and tries to teach the same swing to everybody. I don't agree with this approach, neither does PGA. Each player is individual and the swing should be looked at from this perspective and these conditions and limitations (as well as abilities) should be kept in mind. Not everybody can swing like Tiger Woods, or Jim Furyk for that matter.

if you have lots of natural ability everything will just fall in to place, if you do not have lots of natural ability then the golf swing can become a nightmare, have you ever seen people at the range miss hitting balls in fact they can not hit the ball, then stopping in the middle of there swing and looking back at the position of there hands etc, these people do not have a clue what they are looking at, this is what the teaching pro has been teaching them, swing analysis is only for the very very good players who are able to practice many hours a day many days a week.

I disagree.

First of all I would say that most players make the crucial mistake of never taking lessons in the first place. But more importantly, a majority of hackers on a driving range (and on the golf course) are a result of a combination of not knowing what to do, and an faulty perception of what their body is actually doing. If I am allowed to speculate, I would say that the majority of hackers hits shots using 85% arm and wrist power. Injuries are common, mainly because of an incorrect swing plane and complete absence of balance. The reason for all of this is that they don't understand or know what to do. This is why they look at their hands. They want to know what they are doing, so that they can compare with what they think they should do.

take a few lessons and just concentrate on hitting the ball straight or straightish, if after a few games you feel you have this natural ability then you can take further lessons and go into the swing in more detail,

I agree. In addition, a trained instructor will make sure that you both have a common understanding of your goals AND what level of commitment your prepared to make to make it happen. There 's a huge difference teaching someone to hit a golf ball to the point where he can enjoy golf compared to making a drastic swing change in order to achieve perfection. Other things, like physical conditions, will also limit your goals as well as the instructors approach (well, hopefully). Personally, I would want to see players get an understanding of the basics. Today, that's not the case.

I have been playing for over 35yrs and was a 9 handicap back in the UK, lessons destroyed me because analyzing the swing only works if you are very good and can practice a lot, get out there and enjoy the game maybe you will be one of the few with natural ability and find the game easy.. good lucki!!

I disagree to some extent.

Lessons doesn't destroy anything, bad instructors do. It is, unfortunately, common that instructors (yes, PGA instructors as well!) have a model view of the golf swing and tries to teach the same swing to everybody. I don't agree with this approach, neither does PGA. Each player is individual and the swing should be looked at from this perspective and these conditions and limitations (as well as abilities) should be kept in mind. Not everybody can swing like Tiger Woods, or Jim Furyk for that matter.

I can not disagree with anything you have quoted me on, if you do not take a course of lessons where the Instructor takes you from being a complete novice to a competent golfer then lessons can indeed destroy you, case in note, my mate who's golf was okay recently took one lesson, he played the next day and it was as if he had never hit a ball in his life, so yes I stand by what I said, I only took maybe 2 lessons when I was around 15 yrs old and from that point on I worked out every thing else myself, I learn by watching others!!!

case in note, my mate who's golf was okay recently took one lesson, he played the next day and it was as if he had never hit a ball in his life, so yes I stand by what I said

Well all right then, there's living proof right there...

There is no such thing as the secret sauce recipe, you cant visit the PRO and expect to swing like Tiger the following day. In addition, most of us have experienced this sensation without taking lessons; the ability to play and strike the ball disappears over night. There's nothing wrong with this, this is golf, it happens all the time. Three weeks later we get a "aha"-sensation and think we have found the holy grail.

What I would want to ask your friend is why he went to the PRO in the first place if his golf was OK? If he wanted to change something, maybe he didn't fully understand that a change is something that will require some sort of commitment in terms of practicing.

One more thing that most players don't understand is that a swing changes VERY little over an entire life span. I very often hear players talk in terms like "my new swing" or "I have made a swing change", when in fact they are swinging exactly the same.

case in note, my mate who's golf was okay recently took one lesson, he played the next day and it was as if he had never hit a ball in his life, so yes I stand by what I said

There is no such thing as the secret sauce recipe, you cant visit the PRO and expect to swing like Tiger the following day. In addition, most of us have experienced this sensation without taking lessons; the ability to play and strike the ball disappears over night. There's nothing wrong with this, this is golf, it happens all the time. Three weeks later we get a "aha"-sensation and think we have found the holy grail.

What I would want to ask your friend is why he went to the PRO in the first place if his golf was OK? If he wanted to change something, maybe he didn't fully understand that a change is something that will require some sort of commitment in terms of practicing.

One more thing that most players don't understand is that a swing changes VERY little over an entire life span. I very often hear players talk in terms like "my new swing" or "I have made a swing change", when in fact they are swinging exactly the same.

Well his golf is okay but hits it left often and when playing the other day not hitting the ball at all most of the time, sometimes people get so frustrated the only thing they think about is having a lesson, and yes I always say I have found the secret and I have a new swing but I do it all myself purely from watching the pro's, I can't say I have changed anything major other than I now break my wrists very early and stand a bit further from the ball, these 2 changes have made a huge difference in how I hit the ball, for the first time in my life I am now taking a divot beyond the ball which I guess has given me the extra distance I now hit every club, as for the driver I struggled too hit this any great distance but now I can hit it well over 270 yds and I feel I can hit further, I certainly do not think I have found the secret maybe I have found a new confidence!! but my new game has taken many months of practice and hitting thousands of balls, I have tried many things in the effort to find that repeatable swing, I feel I have found it but it is now down to practice and more practice if I am to become a very low handicap golfer, unfortunately for me money is an issue living on Phuket 99% of golf is way beyond my means, I am more or less restricted to one course, thats life I suppose..

Well his golf is okay but hits it left often and when playing the other day not hitting the ball at all most of the time, sometimes people get so frustrated the only thing they think about is having a lesson, and yes I always say I have found the secret and I have a new swing but I do it all myself purely from watching the pro's, I can't say I have changed anything major other than I now break my wrists very early and stand a bit further from the ball, these 2 changes have made a huge difference in how I hit the ball, for the first time in my life I am now taking a divot beyond the ball which I guess has given me the extra distance I now hit every club, as for the driver I struggled too hit this any great distance but now I can hit it well over 270 yds and I feel I can hit further, I certainly do not think I have found the secret maybe I have found a new confidence!! but my new game has taken many months of practice and hitting thousands of balls, I have tried many things in the effort to find that repeatable swing, I feel I have found it but it is now down to practice and more practice if I am to become a very low handicap golfer, unfortunately for me money is an issue living on Phuket 99% of golf is way beyond my means, I am more or less restricted to one course, thats life I suppose..

Make a move to Hua Hin. It would do your golf a lot of good.Lots of expat to play with. Lots of cheap and good golf courses.

You should never underestimate the value of a bunch of playing partners with the right mindset. Right now there's the Hua Hin golf festival. Banyan, Springfield and other courses at 800 baht...

Welcome!

Make a move to Hua Hin. It would do your golf a lot of good.Lots of expat to play with. Lots of cheap and good golf courses.

You should never underestimate the value of a bunch of playing partners with the right mindset. Right now there's the Hua Hin golf festival. Banyan, Springfield and other courses at 800 baht...

Welcome!

That would make sense, I live in the most expensive place in Thailand, golf here 4000 bht and up!!! the one course I can play is 1000 bht including caddy fee and tip, I have been to Cha Am a few times which I liked a lot, maybe in the future I will have to think about a move, this place is just so over priced!!!