How To Make Corn Tortillas?

can I use the Corn flour sold at the markets to make corn tortillas? I have never made my own tortillas before but now I mus have tacos. All the recipe's I've read online say i need mesa harina. Any way some help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Thumpusurilicus Maximus

They are available from larger supermarkets to my knowledge, no idea where you live. Corn meal, not corn flour is required, there must be a Thai equivalent. Also whether you want tortillas to roll or whether you want them fried crispy is another consideration as you probably know. Good luck.

:)

No. Corn Flour is the same as Corn Starch. You need Corn Meal, which I have not seen sold in Thailand. There's a lot of good videos on YouTube on how to make corn tortillas.

Maybe someone should explain how to make Corn Meal. Shouldn't be hard.

As Chef Heat mentioned, none of the aforementioned products will work in making corn tortillas!

Masa Harina is processed just like hominy and then is grown into Masa,

Here is a picture of Maceca Masa , I recently purchased in the states!

post-91962-022935100 1276989689_thumb.jp

I have given up on trying to find Masa Harina in Thailand, and grow my own corn to make Masa from seed I also brought back from my trip!

There are two corn tortilla factories in Bangkok -Danita's and Mission, and one Masa producing plant in China and another in Malaysia.

None of which responded to my e-mails concerning , availability of purchasing home use portions of Masa Harina.

Cheerssmile.gif:

There are two corn tortilla factories in Bangkok -Danita's and Mission, and one Masa producing plant in China and another in Malaysia.

None of which responded to my e-mails concerning , availability of purchasing home use portions of Masa Harina.

There's one more factory that makes corn tortillas: El Charro

They make the best tortilla chips in Thailand.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Regular cornmeal will not work.

You need masa (not mesa), which is nixtamalized corn (see wikipedia: nixtamalization)

Probably easier to pick up some corn tortillas at Villa Market, FoodLand, etc.

Went to Villa Market yesterday, and under all the 30 or 40 packages of flour tortillas, I found one lonely package of corn tortillas. They looked a little shaky, but they were actually pretty decent, surprisingly enough.

Made a huge bowl of guacamole with some avocados I brought back from the Philippines and carnitas--I was a happy man! :)

an'...when ye got a nice big bowl of masa ready to go whaddaya gonna do if ye ain't got a tortilla press or a comal?...ye gots t'be creative...('here, darling...just wear yer hair in braids and wear a shawl and then pat, pat, pat until it gets flat an' then put it on that hot iron over dere...')

I brought masa mix and a tortilla press wid me from CA to London when I moved in wid my ex-wife and wowed de assembly wid my fresh made corn tortillas...dey never seen 'em before (1988)...

den my ex-wife divorced me an' kept de tortilla press...

I had de last laugh 'cause yew can't get masa mix in England neither :lol:

Edited by tutsiwarrior