Whole Wheat/Grain Natural Baked Goods

Ulysses G.

I just wanted to mention again that Butter is Better is experimenting with several whole grain products that are very difficult to find locally.

They have Whole-Wheat buttermilk biscuits,  WW oatmeal cookies, WW cinnamon rolls, WW pancakes of several varieties, WW bagels and different wholegrain breads as well. The quality is much better than the very few other places that offer such things (although Bake and Bite does have some good WW pancakes). They do not have all these items every day, but they almost always have a few.

If you have missed natural treats, check them out so they will add even more in the future!  :wai:

They mentioned to me that they are starting with Meals on Wheels in just a few days. I think that the boss is working on their online menu

I forgot to mention that they sometimes have whole-wheat peanut butter cookies with unrefined palm sugar and virgin coconut oil. They taste great and the ingredients are about as healthy and natural as you can get.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I guess that we could eat powdered spirulina and chlorella on poached, fertile egg whites instead, but how many people do? :bah:

Whole grain bakery goods are much better than the alternative.

Edited by Ulysses G.

do they make baguettes? I'm dying for really good bread to make Bahn mi/ pate sandwich. lol

Because I'm a stickler for accuracy when it comes to baking terminology, I can't say we offer baguettes. What we do offer is a baguette shaped Italian style bread. Like a baguette it is allowed to rise slowly to develop it's flavor. It has a crunchy crust like a baguette too. And the big holes and chewy texture of a baguette. Unlike a properly made baguette, the dough isn't a combination of old and new dough. Rather, each batch is 100% freshly made dough.

We used to make baguettes but because they took extra work, we charged more and had a hard time selling them except to a few desperate French expats.

Wow all those Whole Wheat options - the healthier way to put on weight and increase your sugar levels. :rolleyes:

Why don't the emoticons go where they are placed????? :annoyed:

As ulyssesg noted, whole wheat is a lot better for you than white flour. Not only does it have a much lower glycemic index than refined flour, but it still has lots of those annoying nutrients we apparently require.

And when we label one of our products as." whole wheat", that means it's 100% whole wheat. Most of the baked goods sold in Chiang Mai as whole wheat are really mixed wheat, often with no more than 25% whole wheat We are fortunate to have sourced a really good supplier of freshly ground whole wheat flour that doesn't have the bitter taste that whole wheat flour often carries. Possibly because it is so freshly ground.

do they make baguettes? I'm dying for really good bread to make Bahn mi/ pate sandwich. lol

Because I'm a stickler for accuracy when it comes to baking terminology, I can't say we offer baguettes. What we do offer is a baguette shaped Italian style bread. Like a baguette it is allowed to rise slowly to develop it's flavor. It has a crunchy crust like a baguette too. And the big holes and chewy texture of a baguette. Unlike a properly made baguette, the dough isn't a combination of old and new dough. Rather, each batch is 100% freshly made dough.

We used to make baguettes but because they took extra work, we charged more and had a hard time selling them except to a few desperate French expats.

Ahh okay, that actually sounds more like what I'm looking for. One thing I miss about Laos... insanely cheap, to the point of almost free, baguettes. Everyone and their mom makes them there. lol

Wow all those Whole Wheat options - the healthier way to put on weight and increase your sugar levels. :rolleyes:

Why don't the emoticons go where they are placed????? :annoyed:

As ulyssesg noted, whole wheat is a lot better for you than white flour. Not only does it have a much lower glycemic index than refined flour, but it still has lots of those annoying nutrients we apparently require.

And when we label one of our products as." whole wheat", that means it's 100% whole wheat. Most of the baked goods sold in Chiang Mai as whole wheat are really mixed wheat, often with no more than 25% whole wheat We are fortunate to have sourced a really good supplier of freshly ground whole wheat flour that doesn't have the bitter taste that whole wheat flour often carries. Possibly because it is so freshly ground.

If it's 100% whole wheat, then that's really good. You are quite right, most things labelled whole wheat in Chiang Mai probably have a LOT less than 25% you mention and nutritionally certainly no different from white flour.

I will pop by for sure - well done.

I guess that we could eat powdered spirulina and chlorella on poached, fertile egg whites instead, but how many people do? :bah:

Whole grain bakery goods are much better than the alternative.

Oh dear, I feel so alone. :(

Carbohydrates often get a bad rap: they make us fat, they cause diabetes, and they stimulate our appetites. When people think of carbs, they often conjure up images of cake, bread, or pasta. The truth is that carbohydrates are one of the three major nutrients found in our diet, along with protein and fat — and we need them to stay healthy.

Our bodies need carbohydrates for energy. Yet, unlike protein and fat, there is no daily recommended requirement. Carbohydrates are the bodies' preferred energy source — whether as a ready source (consumed as a carbohydrate) or a longer-term one (converted from protein and fat). However, we need carbohydrates for energy (it takes too long to convert protein to carbohydrates for quick energy).

Calories are fattening, not carbs. In fact, each carbohydrate contains four calories per gram of food — the exact same calories as a gram of protein. Fat, on the other hand, has nine calories per gram. Even though carbohydrates have the same calories as protein, they have different metabolic effects on the body. Protein has a neurochemical effect on the brain to make you feel more satisfied, or fuller, when you eat.

Good carbs:

Seek out foods containing complex carbohydrates and fiber, like those found in fruits, vegetables and whole grains. There are two kinds of carbohydrates: starchy ones found in potatoes and whole grains, and non-starchy ones found in fruits and vegetables. The basic rule is to focus on fruits and vegetables as your main source of carbohydrates and limit the starchy ones. Keep in mind that you should eat five fruits and vegetables a day.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/13802613

Edited by Ulysses G.

Where do I find their store?

We have 2 stores, Inside the Rim Ping Supermarket Mee Chok we have our bakery outlet. It sells our baked goods but it's not a restaurant. No chairs or tables. There is however, free coffee. it's open 7 days per week from 9 to 9 PM. But often the deliveries don't get there until 10 PM.

Our restaurant /bakery is located on Chang Klan Ave about 100 meters south of Pantip Plaza and almost opposite Giorgio's Restaurant. There is 1 hour free parking here. This store is CLOSED ON TUESDAYS. Hours are 8-5 every day it's open except Sunday when it's open 8-3.

Our still-under-development web site does have maps: www.butterisbetterbakery.com

Also, do they have Whole Wheat breads that are dairy free??

Our whole wheat bread is dairy free. I'm ashamed to say that we don't even have any butter in it. I double checked with the baking staff and re-read the recipe just to make sure.

That's perfect for me because I am a vegan and cannot tolerate dairy I am going to your store today!! Thank you!

Our whole wheat bread is dairy free. I'm ashamed to say that we don't even have any butter in it. I double checked with the baking staff and re-read the recipe just to make sure.

That's perfect for me because I am a vegan and cannot tolerate dairy I am going to your store today!! Thank you!

Please don't go to our store today. We are sold out.

If it's 100% whole wheat, then that's really good. You are quite right, most things labelled whole wheat in Chiang Mai probably have a LOT less than 25% you mention and nutritionally certainly no different from white flour.

It'll be right up your street, Mr Pastry.

It can't be easy being a vegan in Chiang Mai. Krupnik. All that fish sauce and even a portion of mixed veg has often got a bit of pork fat in it for flavouring

I didn't realise that bread stall in the Rimping was yours B-i-B. I'll definitely test out your non baguette Italian style bread. Sounds very tasty!

It'll be right up your street, Mr Pastry.

Richard Hearne to you sir.:rolleyes:

Funny, when the Changklan Road branch was Bake & Bite, I was in there all the time. I'm not really sure why I stopped going when it changed to BiB....maybe it closed down for a while. However, it sounds like it's time to sample some of their wares and I've heard their breakfasts are pretty good too.

Please don't go to our store today. We are sold out.

Are you normally sold out this early??