Illegal Factory - Pollution

ChickenTonight

I live in the suburbs on Bangkok. The place I live in is near to a big factory. This place is built out of corrogated metal tied together with string, and looks like a soviet missile silo. They are producing some kind of metals there. There are some really nasty fumes all day and night, most people in the street have breathing problems including myself, I throw up because of the pollution every morning.

I know this factory is illegal, they are paying off the police. They are not meant to be producing this stuff, also they hire illegal Cambodian and Burmese workers, I wouldnt be surprised if they are chained to their desks. I often hear shouting and fighting in there.

I am moving house as soon as possible, but I would also like to report this place. Someone reported it before, the police went and shut it down but then the "big police" opened it up again.

Its discusting that this place can continue, I imagine the smoke is carcinogenic many local kids look sick and have glazed eyes.

I am reluctant to report this to the police, because I know they are corrupt. I dont want any come back from the police or the factory owners.

Is there an international body I can report this place to? How about a journalist?

What should I do?

I live in the suburbs on Bangkok.

I live in central Bangkok.

The place I live in is near to a big factory.
The city I live in looks like a junkyard of a big factory.
There are some really nasty fumes all day and night,

There are some really nasty fumes all day and night,

most people in the street have breathing problems including myself
most people in the street have breathing problems including myself
Is there an international body I can report this place to? How about a journalist?

What should I do?

You'll be telling an old story, I'm afraid.

Edited by ~G~

I can relate to having a 'factory' so near to you home and disrupting your life. I have an electronics distribution company 3 houses down the road - this means delivery trucks taking all the parking spaces, obscuring the view across the lake and generally having a load of workers waiting for jobs or deliverys. It sure pisses me off a touch.

You certainly wont be able to shift this little operation easily.

Advice: move.

Phazey!

Its a small world. It must be you. I am octave from b0rk, you might remember we met in Bangkok with Pog and your friend the bank robber!

Hows life?

HFS!! \o/

I'm in BKK tomorrow evening, out on the town with the missus sunday night - swift bevvy ?

PM us your mobile :o

Try the Ministry of Public Health at Nonthaburi, be sure to emphasise the respiratory symptoms. You'll have to google the contact details. I don't know if they are "bigger" than the "big police" but I'd be interested to know the outcome if you go ahead.

What should I do?

Write an email/letter to the Bangkok Post using a pseudonym. Mention the story last week where a minister claimed that half of Bangkok's inhabitants have respiratory problems due to pollution. Wear a good-quality mask when you are outside. You may easily get asthma or bronchitis (which permamently damages your lungs), as I did. Then you'll have to wear a mask all the time and stay away from cigarette smoke, incense and mosquito coils for the rest of your life.