Thai Nuclear Power Plant Feasibility Study Ready By Year-End

webfact

We did have a solar "oven " such as described up thread in France late 60- beg. 70's.It was said to be powerful and working ;however, it was not publicized at all , journalists were discouraged from visiting it, it was a no-go area . I heard about it in a small 'green' paper only (the word ' ecology' wasn't even known back then). Because at that time we had all the media explaining how magic N power was, there was an old scientist of note paid to teach us how safe and healthy it is, zero risk of leaks, no waste problem.People got their skull smashed by riot police to pretend to the contrary. I got ridiculed by my friends to pretend the vaunted future 'clean' electric cars would rely on polluting N power. However to day all things considered I feel it's better than oil , for geo-political reasons among others .

Small Thaï islands would benefit from solar panels + wind mills (can't bear them diesel engines humming at night ).

(I've just seen a school bag for sale for a few euros , complete with attached solar panel and multipurpose mp3 -phone charger !)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If North Korea can have nuclear energy, why not Thailand? I don't think Thailand is less advance than North Korea.

If North Korea jumps off a cliff, so can Thailand?

Me... I'm still waiting for "New and Improved NUKE-AWAY!"

The false flag that wind is pointless -is just that.

It takes a combo: wind, solar, and battery storage - when it's WINDY you can store it for when it isn't windy. Same with sun for non-Thailand locales.

Edited by ding

when it's WINDY you can store it for when it isn't windy.

This is not done anywhere in the world on a commercial basis, as far as I am aware.

The first trial, of a 1-megawatt system with an 80-ton battery costing $1 million, began last year. It just isn't that simple to do, nice though the idea might be.

Edited by RickBradford

""when it's WINDY you can store it for when it isn't windy""

yep, simple, all you need is a giant rubber attached to the propeller .

undocumented underage workers can work gears from reformed Chines bicycles for a bowl of third rate rice too (suspect it is already implemented in some factories).

" Kasetsart University to conduct a research in using nuclear radiation for agricultural activities such as food preservation. " :ermm:

Edit:

Quick note: if they come up with similar result of that Ramkhameng Uni in doing buffalo's mozzarella cheese is better we start escaping now !

That is nothing unusual and common practice for fruits, vegetables and meat in a the big scale. makes your global traded apples and bell papers and pork loin always look fresh on the supermarket shelves.

Has actually nothing to do with Nuclear power plants.

Edit:

Side note: And for the "buffalo's mozzarella cheese"... Using milk of water buffalos -that is the original and traditional way to make mozzarella. the real mozzarella, a product quite different from many other version of cow milk products that supermarkets sell as mozzarella cheese.

Indeed, the original Italian mozzarella cheese is made of buffalo milk.

And it is more expensive than mozzarella cheese made of cow milk.

Thailand have have the French to build and run the Nuclear facilities. I think France have the most nuclear power experience than any other counties. From memory, 70% of French electric comes from nuclear. This should be acceptable to ThaiVisa members, I suppose.

God how I love answering Piengrudee's trolls...

Aside from the fact that nuclear is not a particularly safe or economical option, are the French going to be given total control in building and running the plants, or will they still be working for Thai politicians and civil servants with vested interests? Will the site foremen be Thai or French? The workers? The French advisors/contractors can have all the expertise you like, but if vested interests become involved (ie: a Thai person in a powerful position sees an opportunity to steal piles of money from the project), then the French will just be flapping their gums and shrugging their shoulders, and letting it slide because the contract is worth so much to both the French and the Thais.

If the country can't build runways that don't crack, (and an airport with toilet facilities), what do you reckon the chances are of building a reliable nuclear reactor?

It is ridiculous, laughable, arrogant, silly and deluded to imagine that Thailand could even dream of handling a nuke plant.

""a Thai person in a powerful position sees an opportunity to steal piles of money from the project), then the French will just be flapping their gums and shrugging their shoulders, and letting it slide ""

why should the French shrug it off ? of course they must have their fair share of this pile of money. :rolleyes:

wonder what "flap one's gums " is, nothing the French do I hope.

I gather at the moment nobody wants our trains, jetfighters , or nuke plants. (some arab country recently chose another country for a nuke plant) .We'd do anything to oblige I'm afraid. We need the dough.

Edited by souvenirdeparis

It is ridiculous, laughable, arrogant, silly and deluded to imagine that Thailand could even dream of handling a nuke plant.

Reply from a very nice looking friend of mine: "...look youl fliend in intelnet so stupid! you see here plant, there nok plant, you just need look plants upstairs not down, many many noke plants" ... :whistling::partytime2:

Side note: And for the "buffalo's mozzarella cheese"... Using milk of water buffalos -that is the original and traditional way to make mozzarella. the real mozzarella, a product quite different from many other version of cow milk products that supermarkets sell as mozzarella cheese.

The thing is that for whom knows what this product should taste like is quite easy to spot the difference and the VERY poor results achieved by this university, in fact, any of the exports (coming from Italy) that you can purchase on the supermarkets here, will be far better of what they are producing locally, even the cow's mozzarella are better than this buffalo ones they are making here (just to give you an idea, as it should really be the reverse in comparing them), i hope they can do some serious improvements because the imports are not coming cheap..

The thing is that for whom knows what this product should taste like is quite easy to spot the difference and the VERY poor results achieved by this university, in fact, any of the exports (coming from Italy) that you can purchase on the supermarkets here, will be far better of what they are producing locally, even the cow's mozzarella are better than this buffalo ones they are making here (just to give you an idea, as it should really be the reverse in comparing them), i hope they can do some serious improvements because the imports are not coming cheap..

:offtopic2: cases of " blue" mozzarella in Europe (salmonella or somethin) ; last year, scandal of tons of rotten cheese from Italy; various non-cheese and tacky substances inside.

Camembert is good for you.

RickBradford makes it look like wind is bad in all scenarios - or at least he's keen on publicizing the worst news in that regard. Wind power works well in some places and doesn't work well in other places. What studies have been done in Thailand?

However, concentrated solar would work in parts of Thailand. It would be more efficient and cheaper than nuclear, besides all the other advantages over nuclear (safer, free fuel, less security, no decommissioning costs, no cost to hide radioactive garbage, etc.) Plus there's small chance rowdies like the Reds or Muslim insurgents will be tempted to take it over a solar field for political leverage. Seeing how easily the Reds commandeered downtown Bkk, it would likely be as easy or easier to take over a nuclear power plant. They could do it with a pick-up truck full of rowdies waving bamboo sticks.

Here's a URL of what a sensible energy future for Thailand could look like,

if EGAT authorities weren't so hel_l-bent on joining the nuclear club:

Some of the text (I boldified some it): Located in Sicily and operated by the utility ENEL (BIT:ENEL), Archimede is a 5 megawatt CSP plant that uses molten salts to capture the heat generated by the sun's energy. Archimede is the world's first concentrating solar power plant to use molten salts to capture heat. Most conventional CSP plants use pressurized oil to capture heat and molten salts to store heat so the plant can run during the night or on days where there is no sun.

However, molten salts have several advantages over pressurized oil. First, they can operate at higher temperatures (550°C instead of 390°C). This means the power output and energy efficiency of concentrating solar power plants will be increased. Using molten salts for both heat capture and storage will allow a CSP plant to run 24 hours a day for multiple days without sun.

Additionally, the non-toxic, cheap molten salts are safe for the environment. Finally, using molten salts allows the steam turbines used in the CSP process to operate at the standard pressure/temperature regulations that fossil fuel plants run on -- meaning conventional power plants could easily be retrofitted to be CSP plants.

post-10297-060346000 1280150683_thumb.jp

Thailand have have the French to build and run the Nuclear facilities. I think France have the most nuclear power experience than any other counties. From memory, 70% of French electric comes from nuclear. This should be acceptable to ThaiVisa members, I suppose.

God how I love answering Piengrudee's trolls...

Aside from the fact that nuclear is not a particularly safe or economical option, are the French going to be given total control in building and running the plants, or will they still be working for Thai politicians and civil servants with vested interests? Will the site foremen be Thai or French? The workers? The French advisors/contractors can have all the expertise you like, but if vested interests become involved (ie: a Thai person in a powerful position sees an opportunity to steal piles of money from the project), then the French will just be flapping their gums and shrugging their shoulders, and letting it slide because the contract is worth so much to both the French and the Thais.

If the country can't build runways that don't crack, (and an airport with toilet facilities), what do you reckon the chances are of building a reliable nuclear reactor?

The roof of French airport collapsed. The roof of Thai airport don't.

I guess Khun Piengrudee could be half French to be so supportive of those snail eaters.

RickBradford makes it look like wind is bad in all scenarios - or at least he's keen on publicizing the worst news in that regard. Wind power works well in some places and doesn't work well in other places. What studies have been done in Thailand?

However, concentrated solar would work in parts of Thailand. It would be more efficient and cheaper than nuclear, besides all the other advantages over nuclear (safer, free fuel, less security, no decommissioning costs, no cost to hide radioactive garbage, etc.) Plus there's small chance rowdies like the Reds or Muslim insurgents will be tempted to take it over a solar field for political leverage. Seeing how easily the Reds commandeered downtown Bkk, it would likely be as easy or easier to take over a nuclear power plant. They could do it with a pick-up truck full of rowdies waving bamboo sticks.

Here's a URL of what a sensible energy future for Thailand could look like,

if EGAT authorities weren't so hel_l-bent on joining the nuclear club:

Some of the text (I boldified some it): Located in Sicily and operated by the utility ENEL (BIT:ENEL), Archimede is a 5 megawatt CSP plant that uses molten salts to capture the heat generated by the sun's energy. Archimede is the world's first concentrating solar power plant to use molten salts to capture heat. Most conventional CSP plants use pressurized oil to capture heat and molten salts to store heat so the plant can run during the night or on days where there is no sun.

However, molten salts have several advantages over pressurized oil. First, they can operate at higher temperatures (550°C instead of 390°C). This means the power output and energy efficiency of concentrating solar power plants will be increased. Using molten salts for both heat capture and storage will allow a CSP plant to run 24 hours a day for multiple days without sun.

Additionally, the non-toxic, cheap molten salts are safe for the environment. Finally, using molten salts allows the steam turbines used in the CSP process to operate at the standard pressure/temperature regulations that fossil fuel plants run on -- meaning conventional power plants could easily be retrofitted to be CSP plants.

when it comes to fear-mongering of nuclear energy the civil protesters and poor victims of Thaksin in the south suddenly turn out to be muslim rowdies and insurgents who would attack such a plant.

Hydroelectricity has really some power, but we all know what happen if you mess with the water ways.

Solar PV isn't that clean energy either. The panels have to be produced, that is a dirty toxic process, they contain toxic chemicals and will become scrap one day.

I agree, concentrated solar power is clever but you should have boldified the capacity of that fancy mirror field too, how many MW you can get with good sunshine and no rain or clouds.

And don' argue like EGAT would plan and invest nothing in renewable energy. Solar energy is hot in Thailand. They want build the world largest solar power plant, but even the world largest one will have 'only' a capacity of 78 MW. Your average solar power plant has a much lesser output. like the 5 MW of your example, at high noon, on a sunshiny day.

The nukes makes 1000 MW each, day and night, no matter if it rains or not and its kinda cheap.

"The nukes makes 1000 MW each, day and night, no matter if it rains or not and its kinda cheap." ... Fully agree.

'kinda cheap' ....is that a joke? Name one large municipal Thai project that has not had allegations of corruption and/or rigged bidding.

...and the fuel. Refined U comes from Yellowcake. Yellowcake has to be mined. It all comes from overseas from a mere handful of countries. If any step in the process is glitched, then the price goes up, if it's available at all. Here are some of the steps in the processing and delivery of refined U that could go wrong:

1. Less of the stuff in the ground to be cost-effectively mined

2. Equipment breakdowns and/or labor disputes

3. Diplomatic relationships between source and user countries, and countries along the transport route.

4. When U becomes scarce and/or prices skyrocket, will Thailand be in the front of the queue compared to European countries, the US, China, Japan and other countries which are wealthier and have greater int'l clout?

5. Transport, by ship and railroad and truck - every phase are potential plum targets for insurgents.

6. Allegations, whether true or not, of weapons manufacturing. Every new member of the nuclear club is having to deal with those prickly issues.

BTW, none of the above problems would be issues in regard to solar, because the fuel source is free - as is its transport, ....and the fuel crosses no int'l boundaries to get to doing its work. It doesn't need to be guarded, and the fuel (nuclear fusion of the sun), doesn't need billions of baht to be dealt with (spent rods and other radioactive garbage).

In the big crap shoot known as Wall Street, investment in Yellowcake futures is probably a smart bet (because there's more demand for less supply of the stuff). However, betting someone's village on it is not a smart bet. It's always in someone else's backyard, not your own. If EGAT was planning to build a N power plant within 30 KM of Pattaya or Bangkok or Hua Hin or Phuket .....well, they're obviously not going to do it, because they know 90% of the ex-pats there would pack their bags and relocate. Same for 90% of rich Thais and Chinese-Thais in those places. Some might sing nuclear's praises when the facility is being built far from their homes, but they'll sing a lot different tune when it's in their backyard - you can bet on it.

Wind power works well in some places and doesn't work well in other places.

I don't know of any windmill set-ups which work profitably on their own (i.e. without government subsidies) delivering reliable and competitively priced electricity to consumers.

What studies have been done in Thailand?

One major study was done in Thailand in 2008, called Potential of wind power for Thailand: an assessment by Stuart Major, Terry Commins, and Annop Noppharatana for King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi.

They wrote:

It is concluded that for Thailand in the foreseeable future the benefits of economic wind power electricity generation will probably be confined to small remote isolated installations including traditional applications.

:offtopic2:

That is not helping the uni in question with their results :D , so many of us are still concerned on what their colleagues might be able to achieve with their nuclear idea

In reality the nuclear power plant will no doubt save money and power.

If we judge the maintenance and running the plant and safety standards by the Thai norm the locals for at least 100 kilometres around the plant will be exposed to radiation in large dosages and thus glow brightly in the dark and give off heat thus enabling them to cease using electricity for lighting and cooking etc.

The savings to the country will be manifold. Scrap dealers will be able to process nuclear waste as in the past thus a larger work force will be contributing to the tax revenues of Thailand ,it's a WIN WIN situation.

Let us make sure the the new proposed parliament building is situated adjacent to the nuclear power plant so as our admirable leaders can constantly monitor the situation.

Nuclear power plant feasibility study to be finished by year-end

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) affirms that within this year-end the feasibility study on nuclear power plant will be completed to be proposed to the Cabinet for approval next year.

EGAT Deputy Governor Somboon Arayasakul stated that the feasibility study of five power plants with a total capacity of 5,000 megawatts currently was on the process of location research and reaching understanding with local people. He said in some area the people were still opposed to the nuclear power plant construction. By the end of this year, the conclusion will be made on three locations for such a construction.

According to the plan, the first plant will be formed in January 2020 with the production capacity of 1,000 megawatts. Those studied projects will be proposed to the Cabinet for further approval made next year whether to continue power plant construction.

EGAT, meanwhile, is confident with security standard of nuclear power plant to meet international quality, while nuclear waste from production process will be kept inside the plants until those plants become expired with 40 years lifetime.

The term 'feasibility study' is a misnomer. EGAT should use the term 'confirmation study' or '....announcement.'

Using the word 'feasibility' makes it sound like EGAT is honestly gauging the pros and cons to see whether the whole idea is 'feasible.' That's not what's happening. EGAT is already hel_l-bent on getting nuclear for Thailand and their over-paid foreign 'research firm' has one assignement and one assignement only: MAKE THE NUCLEAR OPTION LOOK AS ROSY AS POSSIBLE FOR THE THAI AUDIENCE. If any members of the research group had the gall to find negative aspects of nuclear for Thailand, they'd be stupid to voice it anywhere except behind closed doors.

Let's take the final paragraph of the excerpt (from the OP) above and look at it closer. They say they'll keep forty years worth of nuclear waste withing the plant itself. Assuming, and it's a BIG assumption, that the radioactive waste and spent fuel rods will not be a problem while sitting at the back end of the property for forty years .....what happens after the forty years? And what does forty years mean in Thai construction-speak? Is that using the same units of time in which it was proposed to build the overhead train to Don Muang airport - which is a massive stretched out multi-monolithic monument to Thai municipal construction ineptitude.

Really folks, what happens to the 40 year accumulation of radioactive waste and spent fuel rods? Radioactivity remains potentially harmful for tens of thousands of years. Not just for humans, but for all living things. If the US, China, Japan, and Europe don't have viable ways to deal with radioactivity, what makes anyone believe the tech-challenged famously irresponsible Thais will do any better? Maybe they'll bury the waste at Government House, and put a Buddhist structure over it (hoping chanting and religious vibes will make all things right).

I've built many structures, and one of the very first things I do, when building a residence, is put in the septic system. I take as much care in building the system to treat effluent as the care I put in to any other facet of the building.

Most people would rather not concern themselves about dealing with it, but all people produce waste. Therefore, rather than having waste go out the back window or trickle out through the floorboards, there are ways to responsibly and hygenically deal with that waste.

Now back on topic: Just as important as any other facet of the nuclear power plant concept - is dealing responsibly with the seious waste it produces. If/when EGAT holds community meetings to discuss nuclear sites, it will attempt to gloss over this aspect, if it can't avoid addressing it altogether. But the issue of how to responsibly deal with radioactive waste is as important as any other issue revolving around the 4 or 5 proposed N plants.

Let's take the final paragraph of the excerpt (from the OP) above and look at it closer. They say they'll keep forty years worth of nuclear waste withing the plant itself. Assuming, and it's a BIG assumption, that the radioactive waste and spent fuel rods will not be a problem while sitting at the back end of the property for forty years .....what happens after the forty years? And what does forty years mean in Thai construction-speak? Is that using the same units of time in which it was proposed to build the overhead train to Don Muang airport - which is a massive stretched out multi-monolithic monument to Thai municipal construction ineptitude.

Really folks, what happens to the 40 year accumulation of radioactive waste and spent fuel rods? Radioactivity remains potentially harmful for tens of thousands of years. Not just for humans, but for all living things. If the US, China, Japan, and Europe don't have viable ways to deal with radioactivity, what makes anyone believe the tech-challenged famously irresponsible Thais will do any better? Maybe they'll bury the waste at Government House, and put a Buddhist structure over it (hoping chanting and religious vibes will make all things right).

First of all, EGAT dont know <deleted> they are talking about, spent fuel rods are not maintained in site for the life of the plant, after enough rods are accumulated in the fuel pool inside the reactor building, they are shipped off for reprocessing, fuel rods for PWR's are not drummed or buried as some of the hysterical farangs on TV seem to think.

Secondly - "Thai construction" has nothing to do with it, prior to a unit being comissioned (ie fuel being put in) each unit is subjected to an IAC (international atomic energy commission) inspection which grants the license and allows fuel to be supplied to the unit, if anything dodgey is found, no license, no fuel, if maintenance is not to standard during the life cycle, same same...its that simple

First of all, EGAT dont know <deleted> they are talking about, spent fuel rods are not maintained in site for the life of the plant, after enough rods are accumulated in the fuel pool inside the reactor building, they are shipped off for reprocessing, fuel rods for PWR's are not drummed or buried as some of the hysterical farangs on TV seem to think.

Secondly - "Thai construction" has nothing to do with it, prior to a unit being comissioned (ie fuel being put in) each unit is subjected to an IAC (international atomic energy commission) inspection which grants the license and allows fuel to be supplied to the unit, if anything dodgey is found, no license, no fuel, if maintenance is not to standard during the life cycle, same same...its that simple

Would also seriously question what brahmburgers actually knows about Thai industrial construction as well.

TH

I wrote about waste begin of thread; as I said, German waste is sent to France for treatment, and goes back, by TRAIN , not in the glove box of an EGAT Merc. Then , stored in thick glass canisters (I think) it waits for ultimate burying deeeeeep in some salty , quake-free soil ; never been done yet.A site has already been chosen in France , forgot where, they say it will become " a kind of theme park and a tourist attraction for the villages around "(sic)

Now there's a solution to solve both waste and Uranium avalaibility, called MOX , which is fuel rods made out of waste .Said to be more powerful than Uranium. The Germans built such a factory , but it was never used , it was de -commissionned before starting due to political uproar .Because it's deemed extra dangerous. So they keep having nuke plants, but no waste facility, which is a bit hypocritical, but they pay us well (it COSTS ).

Now is that what they have in mind, a plant -cum MOX factory?

We built years ago a "surgenerator", Superphenyx, it never worked for more than a few weeks at a time, had to be stopped all the time, and finally it was permanently closed (cost a fortune).

Rumour is that it was thought so dangerous in its concept, several engineers decided to sabotage it at the building stage, introducing a number of defects that made it impossible to maintain in working order.

My amateur opinion is that it wouldn't be hard to find or train Thaï engineers and technicians to build and run a plant with some foreign help. Managing the common leaks , which implies shutting down the plant for some time, and workers sent home for a long period (once their rad sensor turns grey, they must not come for a while) , this would be the rub , because it costs . Plus the waste question.

@soutpeel

,"" fuel rods for PWR's are not drummed or buried as some of the hysterical farangs on TV seem to think.""

I've been over the whole thread and yes, seems I'm the some hysterical farang.

Young man , I've been interested in this matter since the 60's , byforce, because it's a prevalent question where I live ; one gets to read lots about it, and meet people who work for the N industry ,read worrying insider's info sheets and actually see the plants work, and read about river levels when it's hot-because they have to shut down the plant if there isn't enough water, but it's difficult to do for a long period; finally I lived in a Chernobyl-polluted area when it happened (giant mushrooms nobody ate) and currently live near another of these zones. What do YOU know about it ? low intensity waste IS drummed and may stay a long time in broken concrete under the rain , pics can be found. Others have twice been discovered last year in the vicinity of two plants , buried under a little earth and litters.A low rank official was blamed but i think kept his job; there was a mock inquiry and talks of "an independent panel etcetc" and finish.

I never talked of fuel rods sent straight to be buried.

Now WHO's hysterical ? :rolleyes:

Edited by souvenirdeparis

Every few years, a Thai ammunition dump explodes or a whole bunch of weapons and ammo go missing. If you were to talk to the authorities guarding such places before such episodes, without a doubt, you'd get something like the following rote response:

"We maintain the highest security at this site. It is near impossible that anything calamitous could happen, because we take precautions for every sort of mishap imaginable."

It's not only Thailand. Indeed, at every high security site in the world, the people in charge would say such things - before the crap hit the fan.

If top Thai authorities can't even find a starting point for finding the whereabouts for a bit of missing jewelry which was officially documented (supposedly) just hours before it was claimed to be missing ....some saying it was, some saying it wasn't there. Some saying it is there now, some saying it was never there. etc etc ad nauseum .......how can Thai citizens entrust enriched N fuel rods (and later; spent fuel rods and other radioactive garbage) to authorities who have never in their lives (personal or professional) taken responsibility for anything?

The radioactive rods going to the plant have a long journey. The spent rods, still radioactive, have a questionable journey (to where?, no one knows) after they're deemed useless. Is this the future you want to see for Thailand? ....fraught with potential mishaps every step of the way?

I've resided in Thailand 12 years, and have been visiting here for over a quarter century - longer than the age of most Thais alive today. I love Thailand and want to see the wisest decision on such an important matter as we're discussing here. The nuclear option is fraught with so many potential problems, that there is certain to be widespread dread (for the concept) for future generations. Your children and grandchildren will look back at the people making the decision in 2010 (to implement nuclear) and think "how could they have been so idiotic as to have chosen nuclear, when there were cheaper, cleaner and less troublesome options available?"

My amateur opinion is that it wouldn't be hard to find or train Thaï engineers and technicians to build and run a plant with some foreign help. Managing the common leaks , which implies shutting down the plant for some time, and workers sent home for a long period (once their rad sensor turns grey, they must not come for a while) , this would be the rub , because it costs . Plus the waste question.

It goes without saying that any NPS built in Thailand will be built and maintained, at least for the first 5 to 10 years by a foreign company with on-going training for the whole duration, anyone who even thinks that Thailand alone will design and build this sort of kit has really lost their grip on reality or hasnt got a f*kcing clue how things work

What do YOU know about it ? low intensity waste IS drummed

Abridged CV

- Operations & Maintenance on 1800 MW PWR (pressurised water reactor) various locations worldwide

- Nuclear construction 1800 MW PWR - Asia

- Nuclear inspection in USA - various plants

So <deleted> do YOU know about it ??