Uk Settlement

Thai TV Global Network is available on Hotbird - this satellite is close to Astra (Sky) and is free to watch. A second dish is required or a second LNB (the gismo on the arm of the dish). It has the usual range of news and soap operas.

My wife and daughter spend endless hours watching high-brow intellectual programmes from Bangkok via Youtube (actually rubbishy soap operas that put Coronation St to shame).

• 1 month later...

The Mrs spent 7 years in the UK with me. We met in Thailand when I lived here previously. She came to the UK in her own right as a student before we got married and had our son, born in London.

She was able to find work because she had a UK Masters and relevant experience from Bangkok. So after graduating, she got a job as Manager of a business centre in Central London. In fact, this is what prompted us to sort out ILR etc. She was paid decent money too, starting salary of £30k, although I imagine this is probably impossible in today's climate in the UK.

Being cold was a big problem, but, having travelled a lot before, there was not too much of a culture shock. She even grew to like sandwiches lol!

Me and the Mrs are actually quite similar. We hate going to places like Thai Square, Earls Court karaoke etc. But lots of time in Chinatown for shopping and eating, which suited me anyway.

We eventually decided to leave the UK because we grew tired of how expensive it is. Granted, London is in it's own little bubble, but still. Also, commuting to work I detest, being a salary man (and woman) was annoying. Conservatives looked like they were to win the General Election.

So we buggered off and moved back to Thailand. Much, much happier. Although, decisions need to be made about educating our children. But from her time in the UK the Mrs certainly isn't anti-UK - it's probably me, who's more anti than her!

My misses has been here over 4 years and has got her British citizenship earlier this year. She started out as a waitress of a very big Chinese restaurant (Malay/ Chinese) and is now manager of the place she averages around 60 hours a week. She has no degree Thai or British and is self taught in English and now knows cockney and Scots, aye. She catches up on the Thai soaps on you tube.

We where in London but have since moved to Edinburgh.

In London we used to go to Oriental city in Colindale just pass Brent cross which was good place you could get Japanese, Chinese, Philippine, Thai and Korean food there. I don’t know if it is still there I thing it was due to move. Just checked google maps and it look like it it still there.

Thanks again for all your help we revived.:jap: