Legendary Rapper 'ice T' In Bkk This Week!

Mr Helper

Ice T and his music does real rap music an injustice. Gil Scott Heron is THE MAN. Never mind what colour your skin or your background is, try Gil's music, it is relevant to anyone and everyone. He is an unrecognised Hero. ICE T gives lip service to the likes of Iceberg Slim, but it is Gil who makes the difference, shit ,he invented Rap!!! Rant ebbing away....

Ice T and his music does real rap music an injustice. Gil Scott Heron is THE MAN. Never mind what colour your skin or your background is, try Gil's music, it is relevant to anyone and everyone. He is an unrecognised Hero. ICE T gives lip service to the likes of Iceberg Slim, but it is Gil who makes the difference, shit ,he invented Rap!!! Rant ebbing away....

Ice-T was one of the first to put social issues of the inner city into the homes of America, along with N.W.A. In his time he was taken seriourly as was Chuck D, Da La Soul, Jungle Brothers, Tribe Called Quest. If it wasn't for Rap music much of the problems facing inner city youth and racial divides that exsited at the time would never have been dealt with.

I have no clue who Gil is, founding fathers of Rap are people like Curtis Blow, Grand Master Flash, Doug E. Fresh, Houdini, Run D.M.C & Jam Master J. All of those guys were over 20yrs ago, you have you been. I have never heard of Gil.

And I never made a comment about skin color. However, Blacks invented this music, and it was all Black in the begining. Just like Blues and Jazz.

I must say that when I hear Eminem, rap or hip hop, it gets under my skin. I cannot explain it but it brings out a rage in me far beyond anything I have ever experienced. It caused me on one occasion to spit on a DJ who was playing it loudly in an establishment I was in. I told him to take it off after an hour of ear deafening mother f'ing lick my dick or whatever it was. He laughed at me. I spit on him. I spit on the garbage. If that nonsense represents any kind of culture then I spit on that too. Why don't you play some Philly soul music. now that's culture. Burn all rap and hip hop records in one giant firey blaze

rap is Crapp and has always been and will always be, just wish it would go like disco and DIE. Disco is dead and rap is CRAPP. I even like some of the old disco but NO rap crapp.

Edited by Kringle

A lot of the people on here who just say rap is crap have listened to the wrong music or just don't appreciate the genre. Download and listen to Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique album, one of the best hip hop albums of all time made by 3 white boys in 1989 long before Eminem.

I must say that when I hear Eminem, rap or hip hop, it gets under my skin. I cannot explain it but it brings out a rage in me far beyond anything I have ever experienced. It caused me on one occasion to spit on a DJ who was playing it loudly in an establishment I was in. I told him to take it off after an hour of ear deafening mother f'ing lick my dick or whatever it was. He laughed at me. I spit on him. I spit on the garbage. If that nonsense represents any kind of culture then I spit on that too. Why don't you play some Philly soul music. now that's culture. Burn all rap and hip hop records in one giant firey blaze

Trust me I understand your anger. When Rap was young and I was still listen the topics were much different. Some rappers never touched the topic of sex or drugs, now however, all that is being played is sex, murder, and money. It is now a reflection of how shallow the American culture has become. What was a vehicle for the expression of intellgent ideas or such plain fun has become an ego manic my dick is bigger than yours and has more gold on it. Yes, today's rap is crap.

thaibebop, I think you may have taken my post the wrong way. When I said "never mind about skin colour...", what I meant was that Gil Scott Heron's music is for everyone and is relevant to all, no offense intended. :o I agree with your posts and enjoy music by lots of those named. Please try these links and see what you think.

http://www.globaldarkness.com/articles/gil...e_televised.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/profiles/scottherongil.shtml

thaibebop, I think you may have taken my post the wrong way. When I said "never mind about skin colour...", what I meant was that Gil Scott Heron's music is for everyone and is relevant to all, no offense intended. :o  I agree with your posts and enjoy music by lots of those named. Please try these links and see what you think.

http://www.globaldarkness.com/articles/gil...e_televised.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/profiles/scottherongil.shtml

Okay, I did not know the name but I know those songs. I looked at those songs more as a beat-nik, poetry kind of thing. A blend of 50's poetry and 70's funk, I guess I never really looked at those songs as rap. Thanks I will have check out more. No offense taken by the way. :D

I remember when rap was somewhat an intelligent & creative expression. Well at least not the derogatory, self important CRAP that it has DEvolved to... "I'm the biggest, I'm the baddest" blah, blah, blah :o:D ZzzZzzzzz....

The sad result of capital "C" rap, is there is NO passion, or creativity, just the "dumbing down" breeding of narrcisism displayed in emerging class cultures exported from the west and now throughout the world. Don't believe me?- just see the pikey chav thread here for evidence of Britains new ruling "class"... :D

The cynical joke is, this isn't art anymore, it's pure exploitation, particularily of the so called fans whom emulate further exploitation, thinking this is "cool". Either they just don't get that, or I'm getting old... :D

Hard to put a finger on where the wheels came off this form of musical artistic expression that started out as rap and IS now CRAP but I draw the line at what it is now for the most part, just basic degradation (and <deleted> boring adding insult to injury!)

Ok, rant over :D

"if you have a brain, please stand up, pls stand up- everybody in da house say YO!"... :D :D

Edited by baht&sold

Baht&sold (did you have a name change coz I'm sure you never had the & sign before?), anyway not exactly 'rap' but a good new breed of rap from the UK chav generation is 'The Streets'. 2 Great albums so far, a UK hip hop scene is really emerging away from all the "I'm the biggest, baddest crap" you get now on mtv.

streets lyrics describing a rave

"The night slowly fades and goes slow motion

All the commotion becomes floatin emotions

Same piano loops over

Arms wave eyes roll back and jaws fall open

I see in soft focus

Chattin to this bloke in the toilets

Dizzy new heights blinded by the lights

These people are for life its all back to his place at the end of the night

They could settle wars with this

If only they will imagine the worlds leaders on pills then imagine the mornin after

Wars causing disaster don't talk to me i don't know ya

But this aint tommorow and for now i still love ya

Hours fly over sail round diamonds and pearls never seen so many fit girls

Discover new worlds look at my watch can't focus

Last two hours i lost every move fills me with lust

All of life's problems i just shake off

Mad little events happen things map out and a few blue maddens alight the toilets

Big beefy bouncers out to reveal us geezers on e's and first timers kids on whizz darlins on

Charlie

All come together for this party

All races many faces from places you never heard of

Where you from what's your name and what you want

Sing to the words flex to the fat one

The tribal drums the sun's risin we all smile we all sing"

Edited by bkkmadness

Will def check that out Bkk, thx

Of course there are exceptions (thankfully). For example, who is that tall skinny extremely talented black UK rapper preaching about civilisation? Brilliant actually, if only I could remember the artist's name :o

(I'm still me btw...) :D

Edited by baht&sold

Just remembered- "Weapons of Mass destruction", by Faithless.

Low bandwidth vid is here.

[CHORUS]

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber

Wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction

Whether you're soar away Sun or BBC 1

Misinformation is a weapon of mass destruct

You could a Caucasian or a poor Asian

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

Whether inflation or globalization

Fear is a weapon of mass destruction

Whether Halliburton, Enron or anyone

Greed is a weapon of mass destruction

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Edited by baht&sold

Just remembered- "Weapons of Mass destruction", by Faithless.

Low bandwidth vid is here.

[CHORUS]

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber

Wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction

Whether you're soar away Sun or BBC 1

Misinformation is a weapon of mass destruct

You could a Caucasian or a poor Asian

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

Whether inflation or globalization

Fear is a weapon of mass destruction

Whether Halliburton, Enron or anyone

Greed is a weapon of mass destruction

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Now that's cool.

rap is Crapp and has always been and will always be, just wish it would go like disco and DIE. Disco is dead and rap is CRAPP. I even like some of the old disco but NO rap crapp.

I 2nd that emotion in a big big big way. I don't care if it's Beastly Boys or <deleted> it is. Only truly twisted mindsets could listen to the crappola and say with a straight face that it is decent

I request this thread gets closed. The gig is over and this has turned into debates about rap, race, and even Gil Scott-Heron vs. Eminem! All this thread was about was Ice-T coming to Bangkok. Come to my board which the mods here won't let me plug.

A lot of the people on here who just say rap is crap have listened to the wrong music or just don't appreciate the genre.  Download and listen to  Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique album, one of the best hip hop albums of all time made by 3 white boys in 1989 long before Eminem.

I 2nd that emotion in a big big big way. I don't care if it's Beastly Boys or <deleted> it is. Only truly twisted mindsets could listen to the crappola and say with a straight face that it is decent

This just in...it's official. bkkmadness has a truly twisted mindset :o

• 4 years later...

I've met Ice-T a couple of times.  Once, we changed dance partners (I danced with his g/f and he danced with my ex and her friend).  He invited us to his table after. He is a down-to-earth, nice guy. Pretty intelligent, too, with a wide array of interests.

He is also one of the few  rappers, such as Queen Latifah,  who have transcended rap to enter the main-stream entertainment arena with some critically acclaimed television and movie roles.

Whether anyone really likes rap or not as a musical genre, Ice-T is an interesting guy who I think most people would like if they met him over a beer. 

And both from America....home of the really, really, strangest of them all....... HINT.....Only in America can a poor black man become a rich white woman

Michael Jackson :D

And get a $250,000,000 recording contract posthumously. :)

I lament that the rap genre survived the 1980s, but also feel the same way about U2.

Edited by bendejo

I've met Ice-T a couple of times. Once, we changed dance partners (I danced with his g/f and he danced with my ex and her friend). He invited us to his table after. He is a down-to-earth, nice guy. Pretty intelligent, too, with a wide array of interests.

He is also one of the few rappers, such as Queen Latifah, who have transcended rap to enter the main-stream entertainment arena with some critically acclaimed television and movie roles.

Whether anyone really likes rap or not as a musical genre, Ice-T is an interesting guy who I think most people would like if they met him over a beer.

So you honestly saying u danced with His Hot Sexy Blond Sex Bomb????????????

coco_nicole_austin_car_pic_1.jpg

coco1.jpg

:)RESPECT MEN!!!! :D

Edited by Lammbock

You know what. I wish more white pepole felt the way you do. You wanna know why most moderen rap is shit (and this comming from someone who loves real rap music)? It's because tons of young white kids listen to it as a outlet for their meaningless suburban angst. Thus over the years it has been manipulated and "de-Souled" by the industry to cross over to a segment that was dominated by heavy metal.

When I was comming up (in the 80's) the white kids listened to metal and rock and the black kids listened to rap. And it was real Rap, rap about things we could relate too, rap for and by young black pepole. And it wasn't all about shaking booty and nakkid bitches every where (Mc Lyte for exsample) or selling drugs, or gangs, and shooting pepole ...no. It was just about our way of life, and it was often Afrocentric and empowering (KRS-1 and Public Enemy). In thouse days rap was totaly underground it was hardly on MTV or the radio and most pepole if they wern't black didn't really appreciate it. Then came the gang centric west coast rap, groups like NWA and Ice T who started making rap a violent thing. The record lables saw a cross over opportunity and slowly started promoting violent gang rap and more consious rappers were phased out.

All so they could sell it to white kids in the subberbs who wanted to be "Down"... I wish NO ONE that looked like you liked rap music. It was so much better when it was for us by us.