Viktor Bout's Extradition Depends On Thai Court Ruling Over Charges

webfact

As Craig said it is not only the USA wanting him,

but the USA has the clout to get him and so are doing so.

Or to abuse a metaphor, ' when the little dogs yap loud enough ,

the big dog moves in to restore order, or at least relative quiet'

Not disregarding due process which seems to be applied here to a fare thee well,

he has far to much presumption of bad actions attached to him NOT to bring him to justice.

Bringing him to court is not the same as conviction, but you must have 'a preponderance of evidence'

in order to extradite and prosecute. It appears this threshold is reached, and only

dotting the due proces i's is going on to allow political latitude and cover vs russia.

Regardless if some elements of ANY government used his services.

Remember not all governments departments are on the same page as others.

There are pragmatists and idealists in all governments and their aims don't always coincide.

Do you know anything about the FARC? If not, again do some research before replying to posts here. The FARC are responsible for killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people. How you could support somebody who clearly supported them is beyond me. :blink:

Bout don't support the FARC.

You argument is a typical fallacy. Selling any goods to someone do NOT indicate support. It only indicate a lack of discrimination.

Again, why is it ok when some sell arms to guerrilla groups ('freedom fighters') but not others?

And believe me, politically the FARC are as far away from me as they can get. But that doesn't change the facts of the world.

The latest attack in Iran, performed by contra-revolutionaries, has indicated links to being founded and supported by the CIA. While I support their struggle to over-throw the regime in Iran, I cannot help to wonder...why hasn't the US worked to put all of those groups on the terrorist watch list?

I am sure it is a coincident...

Do you know anything about the FARC? If not, again do some research before replying to posts here. The FARC are responsible for killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people. How you could support somebody who clearly supported them is beyond me. :blink:

Bout don't support the FARC.

You argument is a typical fallacy. Selling any goods to someone do NOT indicate support. It only indicate a lack of discrimination.

Again, why is it ok when some sell arms to guerrilla groups ('freedom fighters') but not others?

And believe me, politically the FARC are as far away from me as they can get. But that doesn't change the facts of the world.

The latest attack in Iran, performed by contra-revolutionaries, has indicated links to being founded and supported by the CIA. While I support their struggle to over-throw the regime in Iran, I cannot help to wonder...why hasn't the US worked to put all of those groups on the terrorist watch list?

I am sure it is a coincident...

In this case I think they already have the Iran Government on a terrorist list.

So it would be redundant.

• Like 1

Isn't the long and the short of it that Victor Bout pissed off the US by supplying arms (some say for the Russian government) to many countries and groups that the US opposes? There is nothing idealistic about the problems Victor Bout now faces, although I do find it quite humorous to read the righteous indignation of many on this thread. The reason it is called covert and why such money is to be made is exactly because Mr Bouts actions run counter to many powerful governments interests. Did Mr. Bout know that he was doing? He seems to be quite an intelligent man. Why insult his (and your) intelligence now by crying foul?

Isn't the long and the short of it that Victor Bout pissed off the US by supplying arms (some say for the Russian government) to many countries and groups that the US opposes? There is nothing idealistic about the problems Victor Bout now faces, although I do find it quite humorous to read the righteous indignation of many on this thread. The reason it is called covert and why such money is to be made is exactly because Mr Bouts actions run counter to many powerful governments interests. Did Mr. Bout know that he was doing? He seems to be quite an intelligent man. Why insult his (and your) intelligence now by crying foul?

Again, it was not the US who first pursued him. It's a complicated matter for sure.

It's not so much the US opposes these groups, as much as it is the civilians that are being killed because of these arms. Is that so wrong? I could careless about the US. If this was an Albanian citizen being pursued by Zambia, and if he caused innocent deaths, he deserves to be punished. Is that so hard to agree with? I'm amazed at the support for this guy...or is it the bashing of America that is so popular?

Hitler was an intelligent man. Should we not cry foul for what he did?

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but that reply doesn't make sense. The government of Iran and contra-revolutionary groups that oppose them are on the opposite sides.

• 3 weeks later...

And this is OK ?????

The response by Washington and its cornerstone Arab ally, Saudi Arabia, moved a step ahead Wednesday. The Obama administration notified Congress of plans to sell as many as 84 new F-15 fighter jets, helicopters and other gear with an estimated $60 billion price tag.

The proposed deal — one of the biggest single U.S. arms sales — is clearly aimed at countering Iran's rising military might and efforts to expand its influence.

I'm sorry, but that reply doesn't make sense. The government of Iran and contra-revolutionary groups that oppose them are on the opposite sides.

Exactly,

so if the Iran 'government' is already listed as a 'terrorist entity' ,

why would they list organizations fighting a terrorist entity, as being terrorists,

and thus put on a terrorist watch list? It's only terrorist in Iran's view.

Of course it is still violent and calls for arms and insurgency.

I just watched the movie, Lord of War. I know it is not 100% factual, but a part of it is. He was responsible for many, many, many deaths. The opening scenes were probably not far from the truth....

lol.

He watched the movie - now he knows everything. He is from ....