"Registering" My Mobile Phone Number

allane

I posed a question as an add-on to a thread on another topic. I didn't get much of a response, so will pose it here as a new thread:

It was stated there that one can register one's mobile phone number, so that the number is yours on a permanent basis, i.e if your phone is ever stolen, or, if you leave Thailand for some period of time.

If this is true, how does a person with an existing mobile phone number go about doing it? I am an AIS customer in Pattaya. I am in Bangkok often, so would also be interested in replies from people there.

well, I lost my phone more than once here, and was always able to get the number back by just going to the office and telling them the number, showing my id, and confirming some of the numbers I use to dial. One time it was over 6 months, I still got it back.

different accounts (simcards) have different valdities and limations, aks @ AIS or DTAC for the options.

with a postpaid account you won't loose the number anyway, as long as you keep paying the monthly fee, when going home you can pay a year in advance etc.

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Never had a problem - lost my phone numerous times and still have the same number. Don't even have to do police report like before. Just go to the particular office (AIS DTAC etc) and tell them you lost your phone and get a new sim card with the same number. Mine is prepaid as well.

Edited by aussiechick