Growing Dates In Thailand

I am working in the Middle East right now and collecting date seeds to bring back to Thailand.

Here in Qatar for example, grade A dates fetch 700 bht/kilo!

Even small date plants sell for 100 bht each.

By the way I'm new to this farming life but my wife has a degree in agriculture (I hope that will help :).

Our land is 20 rai connecting to the River Kwai in Kachanaburi. Very furtile and needless to say plenty of water.

Anyone out there know about growing dates?

Edited by Livinginexile

Well, I don't know about the cash crop of the future but I grow them successfully for our own enjoyment.

The Pak Chong agricultural station has a small grove and they might help if you ask nicely.

Collecting seeds is a risky proposition because most seedlings will be male and there is no way of identifying the females until they flower.(5/6 years )

What you want is a large ratio of females to one male, females are obtained by removing shoots from mature trees.

In Thailand drying the dates is problematic, start thinking about a solar food drier.

Two pictures for you:

Young Medjool dates from earlier this year, male and female flowers side by side.

good luck !

post-14625-032267200 1286370062_thumb.jp

post-14625-098234800 1286370101_thumb.jp

Dates are grown on the Phoenix spp (dactifolia i think it is) and Phoenix spp would grow in tropical Thailand as well as cool temperate climates. I think it takes up to ten years to get a commercial crop. They are quite an attractive ornamental palm as well.

There are at least one very large scale commercial date plantation in the Northern Terriorty of Australia so you may like to research that if you are interested in "non- traditional" methods of date production .

Well, I don't know about the cash crop of the future but I grow them successfully for our own enjoyment.

The Pak Chong agricultural station has a small grove and they might help if you ask nicely.

Collecting seeds is a risky proposition because most seedlings will be male and there is no way of identifying the females until they flower.(5/6 years )

What you want is a large ratio of females to one male, females are obtained by removing shoots from mature trees.

In Thailand drying the dates is problematic, start thinking about a solar food drier.

Two pictures for you:

Young Medjool dates from earlier this year, male and female flowers side by side.

good luck !

Fascinating.The humidity has caused you no Fungal problems?Is the humidity the reason they are difficult to dry?Or plain and simple, not hot enough?

Two pictures for you:

good luck !

Fascinating.The humidity has caused you no Fungal problems?Is the humidity the reason they are difficult to dry?Or plain and simple, not hot enough?

The fruit matures in August/Sept. when is quite rainy. Drying them to bring out the sweetness is the biggest challenge.

Other than that not too many problems, Need to watch out for ants when the dates start maturing.

The trees themselves are fine.

See the ripe fruit bellow, extra super yummy !!!

regards

post-14625-020952300 1286420873_thumb.jp

Two pictures for you:

good luck !

The fruit matures in August/Sept. when is quite rainy. Drying them to bring out the sweetness is the biggest challenge.

Other than that not too many problems, Need to watch out for ants when the dates start maturing.

regards

Any chance of buying some of them yummy date of yours?? I have a soft spot for this fruits from way back but buying them locally is at premium,

Two pictures for you:

good luck !

regards

Any chance of buying some of them yummy date of yours?? I have a soft spot for this fruits from way back but buying them locally is at premium,

Right now, I only have frozen ones, very nice cold snack but not shippable.

If you are around here, happy to give you a taste.

Ask again next August for fresh ones, not for sale but will share.

Regards