Thighlander

depending on what you see travelling is ,

best way is of cos Walk there ,

second best way is cycle there

third best is ride a bike

fourth is drive up

fifth is take a local bus .

last of cos is take inter flight .

i drove up to nong kai last month took me more then 10 hour , cos i keep stopping for view :)

I've done it in 6.5 hours by car without any breaks and going pretty hard. No idea how long the bus takes but I'm sure it would be at least 8 or 9 hours.

Don't take my word on it though, I've been wrong once or twice before.

What kind of jet were you flying?:lol:

I've done it in 6.5 hours by car without any breaks and going pretty hard. No idea how long the bus takes but I'm sure it would be at least 8 or 9 hours.

Done it a lot quicker on the bike.

If your butt held up on a bike I could believe the 6.5 hours.:D

If your butt held up on a bike I could believe the 6.5 hours.:D

7 hrs 15 mins Hua Hin to Chiang Mai (start to stop inc. fuel stops)

Edited by Blinky Bill

I know this post is way old but I dont drive enough round thjis country and if Im planning on leaving next year I wanna collect up some routes to try.

Ive done Chiang mai to Chang dao, Chiang Rai, Mae Sai and Pai and they are all quite simple... are the rest of the routes normally this easy from Chiang Mai.

Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai.. anyone got any idea how to drive there and perhaps some sites to check out on the way...?

Its either this one or to Bangkok but Im not sure I wont die in that traffic :-)

I know this post is way old but I dont drive enough round thjis country and if Im planning on leaving next year I wanna collect up some routes to try.

Ive done Chiang mai to Chang dao, Chiang Rai, Mae Sai and Pai and they are all quite simple... are the rest of the routes normally this easy from Chiang Mai.

Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai.. anyone got any idea how to drive there and perhaps some sites to check out on the way...?

Its either this one or to Bangkok but Im not sure I wont die in that traffic :-)

Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen. Take the super highway south, highway 11 to Phitsanulok about 5 hours, good highway allot 4 lane divided, some construction around the Den Chai area. At Phitsanulok pick up Highway 12 east about 3 hours to KK. Highway 12 is a very scenic drive Mountains beautiful, National Parks, rivers waterfalls The Lom Sake area is referred by the Thais as Switzerland. Highway 12 is mostly a 2 lane highway but very good road with some four lane areas and passing lanes, but always be aware for the unexpected. When I leave CM I usually stop at a PTT station in Den Chai for coffee and a break 2.5 hours then I drive on and stop at another PTT on 11 just before the 12 turn off in Phitsanulock. I advise you to top off your tank at this point before going east as fuel can be hard to come by until Chum Prae on 12. Most people drive this in about 8 hours with no problem.

Edited by gotlost

mmm that lake sounds interesting, wonder why they call it Switzerland...?

Cheers :-)

Could be that the mountains remind he Thais of the alphas but I thank it is because allot of Swiss have married and invested in the area. There are some nice resorts in the area and you can not help but notice the Swiss influence.

Edited by gotlost

On Highway 12 pass Lom Sak on your left just pass the the national park which has a huge turtle statues as their mascot, is good rest stop. It is called Route 12 Cafe, built on the design of the old Route 66 cafes in the USA. Old fuel pumps, motor bikes, good coffee stop and great views.

Cool that does sound interesting, Im quite looking forward to it, Ive hear there's lots to see

I agree with the roads in Thailand, they do seem to be quite direct, unlike U.k which is a maze in some places I think.

On 12 between Wang Thong and Lom Sake there is a river on your right side. This time of year it will be running full but after it goes down there will be some serious white water rafting. Numerous resorts and restaurants.

cheers guys, I just had a thought, Im doing this on my bike and if, god forbid anything happens who should I call..?

Ive always wondered this but as this is the biggest journey Ive done yet, any advice...?

Also if its too much for me, can I get a train back..? Im guessing there is no direct route..

Thanks again guys

P.S Just noticed I will be going past Sukothai, Ive always wanted to go there, it looks like a simple turn off, perhaps I go throuhg it, or is it out of the way a bit...?

PPS Nope thats look wrong actually, but there does seem to be interesting provinces on the way though, dont mid taking my time :-)

Edited by james24

cheers guys, I just had a thought, Im doing this on my bike and if, god forbid anything happens who should I call..?

Ive always wondered this but as this is the biggest journey Ive done yet, any advice...?

Also if its too much for me, can I get a train back..? Im guessing there is no direct route..

Thanks again guys

P.S Just noticed I will be going past Sukothai, Ive always wanted to go there, it looks like a simple turn off, perhaps I go throuhg it, or is it out of the way a bit...?

PPS Nope thats look wrong actually, but there does seem to be interesting provinces on the way though, dont mid taking my time :-)

Sokothai is about 100 kilometers west of Phitanulok. Excellent road will worth the trip. The Historical Park is worth the trip and there are guest house and resorts in the area. BTW they charge farang price to enter.

Hi again

Just a quick thing, can i get a train back if I want...? Is there a direct route or is it not possible..?

Is not possible. Because train lines go to Bangkok, there is no transfer from North Eastern Line to Northern line. (Well, there is at Bang Pachi but that's almost at Bangkok).

If you like rail you could take bus to Phitsanulok and then train to chiang Mai, but its much slower than bus all the way.

Cheers for your help guys.

I made it there and back in one piece, just! Was beautiful and was quite shocked to see the big waterfall about half way there, was really beautiful.

Had to rush back but I think I saw most of Khon Kaen in one day. Alot busier than I thought, I thought it was like a little village.

Anyway guys next trip is already in the making as driving for that long on your own really clears the head, well except when someone tries overtaking you on a blind corner

Thanks again.