Moving With Teenager To Ao Nang

MariaCornwell

We are currently seriously considering a move to the Krabi area within the next two years as my husband has an oportunity he would not like to miss. Our concern is our daughter who is at present 14. I have communicated with the international school and have been told that they will have at least 2 other pupils of her age in the school. This is obviously not very many and I am worried about the social scene for teenagers in the Ao Nang , Krabi area. Does anyone live with teenagers in this area and can reassure me that there will be opportunities ror her to socalise with peers. Thanks in advance

Do you currently live in Thailand? If not it sounds like an awful lot of upheaval for a 14 year old to be going through so close to examination age. She can always make friends with older/younger classmates at the international school but without any Thai language skills she's unlikely to have many 'normal' Thai friends.

Do you currently live in Thailand? If not it sounds like an awful lot of upheaval for a 14 year old to be going through so close to examination age. She can always make friends with older/younger classmates at the international school but without any Thai language skills she's unlikely to have many 'normal' Thai friends.

My older sister did boarding school at 16, I don't know if financially thats an option for you but I think that would be better than life in Ao Nang at 14-16 yrs.

Thanks for the repiles. We are not going until she is 16 and has finished the first lot of examinations. She does not want to go to boarding school, which I agree would have been an option. Are there not many western teenagers in Ao Nang then? She could start lessons in Thai now, as I suppose we all should, although it seems very daunting!!

Thanks for the repiles. We are not going until she is 16 and has finished the first lot of examinations. She does not want to go to boarding school, which I agree would have been an option. Are there not many western teenagers in Ao Nang then? She could start lessons in Thai now, as I suppose we all should, although it seems very daunting!!

Correct.

Without going into the dangers of living in Thailand, just probably not the safest place for a 16 year old foreign girl.

That being said, be sure she get some good self defense courses (before the Thai language) and if you are coming in high season, maybe get her interested in scuba diving as she'll meet some o.k. people there (other than the tatted boat boys who will be all over her).

Edited by grumpyoldman