The "12-2" And "5-12" Drinking Law

I noticed this weekend that the 7-11 and the other convenience stores in my soi (4 in total) are no longer displaying the signs regarding limited sale hours for booze.

As it was already after 5 pm I had no way of testing whether they would have sold it earlier (my Thai's probably not "quite" up to asking about this kind of stuff :o ).

Anyone else noticed this, or has heard of any possible change to this law?

The signs are no longer on display at the supermarket or adjacent liquor store at The Mall in Korat. In fact, about ten days ago I bought an eight pack of Heineken at the supermarket at about 3:00 PM. The cashier didn't bat an eye. Just rang up the purchase and I was good to go.

The signs are still up at my local mom and pop shop, as well as at TOPS Supermarket.

At Tops Chidlom there's actually an addendum to the notice I've never seen before:

You can buy liquor during off-hours ONLY if the liquor is 10 liters and over!

Bulk Buy ...Wholesale/Retail license...........not booze lic.

Used to be the same over here....but now de-regulated :D

New rules in Blighty start next week if you want to open/sell hooch 24 hours a day........even from a florist shop...but you NEED the chitti :o

The signs are still up at my local mom and pop shop, as well as at TOPS Supermarket.

At Tops Chidlom there's actually an addendum to the notice I've never seen before:

Noticed that at Tops in Rangsit too.

Had me wondering as to whether the check out girls would know how many mls makes up a litre. :o

Noticed that at Tops in Rangsit too.

Had me wondering as to whether the check out girls would know how many mls makes up a litre. :o

The 10 Litre ruling has always been there, kind of rules out the reason for the limit being 'to prevent binge drinking', I can have a very good binge on 10 litres of Chang.

A while ago I had a very nice chat with the manager of Tesco Rangsit. Having been refused sale of 10.23 Litres (31 cans) of Chang by both the sales girl and the checkout supervisor, and in the face of a growing queue at the checkout I requested to see the manager (paid for my other goods so the queue would not lynch me).

A very nice man (I forget his name) arrived with a calculator, multiplied 31x330ml and instucted the checkout lady to let me have my beer. He also said it was a stupid rule and had no effect whatever on drinking habits. I've never had the same problem since so I assume that some re-training hs occured.

Had an early dinner - 16:45 - at Fuji Restaurant in the Carrefour Center in Pattaya yesterday and was told no beer until 17:00. And it's so printed on the drinks menu, which I hadn't bothered to look at. No beer 14:00-17:00 :o

-redwood