Loy Krathong Festival Day Wimbledon

Hello

A while back it was suggested that some of us could meet who had been successful in obtaining settlement visas at this event, trouble is the temples website http://www.buddhapadipa.org/0/9169FFDD201D1A3E80257157007117CB is not giving too much away.

It suggests it starts at 16:00 is that not too late, someone did tell me it gets very very busy, any ideas of what there is to see/do and ideas of timescales and times which would be good?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance hoping someone has been before!

If we can find out some more information then maybe we can arrange a meeting point!

Steve

We went last year (sadly unlikely to go this year - unless incredibly lucky with Visa app).

Got there about 2:30 and it was in full swing - and had been for a while; I got the impression it kicked off a lot earlier. VERY busy though.

Last year we got there at about 16:00 and yes it was busy, parking is a challenge, it was in full swing.

It was very cold so we only stayed for a couple of hours.

There was a show in progress, plenty of Thai food and also a good opportunity to stock up on Thai ingredients.

We will be going this year, probably to arrive some time around 14:00.

Visit the temple, eat some food, see the show, float an arrangement on the lake/pond, do some shopping, maybe meet some people.

That's the rough plan anyway.

By 4pm in November it's already getting dark. It's cold, the ground is damp (take something to sit on), the food is overpriced and, from memory, no booze is allowed. The poor girls who have been cajoled into parading on the stage in traditional costume are shivering and struggle to raise a smile. You're lucky if you can find anywhere within half a mile to park your car.

If there's anything, absolutely anything else you'd rather be doing, give that sad place a miss.

No booze :( really??

can you just walk in it sounds all very busy best to go by train/bus maybe?

My memory may be faulty, but I can't remember alcohol being on offer there. It is after all a temple, and a religious ceremony, although the the beer and whisky flow freely at the equivalent shindig at Phala Beach.

It's not a long walk from the bus stops on the main road alongside Wimbledon Common. If it's practical, public transport would be a better bet.

Wrap up warm....

The 4pm time is just when they go to the small lake in the grounds and float the kratongs. It's towards the end of the day's festivities and only lasts a short while.

Before that they have all the food, Thai traditional dancing and beauty contests etc.

Yes, it can be cold but the dancers do their best and it might be considered a small oasis of Thailand that helps break the monotony of an otherwise cold winter's day in the UK!

By 4pm in November it's already getting dark. It's cold, the ground is damp (take something to sit on), the food is overpriced and, from memory, no booze is allowed. The poor girls who have been cajoled into parading on the stage in traditional costume are shivering and struggle to raise a smile. You're lucky if you can find anywhere within half a mile to park your car.

If there's anything, absolutely anything else you'd rather be doing, give that sad place a miss.

I have to say I agree. Just reading this brings back the memory of the miserable day I spent there with my Thai wife when we visited the UK in 2002. Watching the Thais try to enjoy an event that is normally carried out in the warmth of Thailand, in the cold, wet and dark of a wet and windy winters day in Wimbledon - was a sad sight indeed. However, it did at least start early , we had lunch there at about midday and it had been going for a while then as I recall.

i'm going to take the missus there and suffer the pain, if it is as bad as some say it is then at least she won't be asking to go again....

just for a bit of interaction with some fellow somchais for her really and these market stalls....plus theres no football on that day that I will be missing B)