Toyota Aircon Service Scam

casava

I took my Vigo into Toyota Hua Hin 0n 27th October for a routine service. After they had the car for about an hour, they told me the aircon needed servicing at an additional cost of B2,023.00. The price for the whole 100,000 km service had already been quoted at B2,800.00. I told them the aircon was working well and I did not want it serviced. They then said my tires needed replacing. I know they have 3 mm of tread and are therefore okay. They then said I need new windscreen wipers. I don't.

So they came back to the story that the aircon needed servicing and showed me a brochure with photos of extremely dirty and corroded radiators inside an ENGINE BAY and told me mine was like that.

I asked them to show me this on my car. It was obvious they did not want to do this but I insisted on being taken to see my car in the workshop. Here they pointed out the blower unit under the dash board inside the CAB, (nothing remotely like the brochure I had been shown in the office), and said it needed a new filter.

Foolishly I gave in and said okay. I stood and watched for half an hour as one man removed the fan unit, which was slightly dusty. He squirted some detergent like solution into the blower box for a few minutes. He spent thirty seconds blowing air through the fan unit and then re-installed it. He then installed a single layer paper concertina type filter, less than 300 mm square. There was no filter in the original installation. Toyota told me this item cost B450.00 but looked like it was worth B50.00 maximum. Job done in 30 minutes.

I complained to a senior member of staff that the B2,023.00 price was ridiculous but she was joined by several other staff who assured me this was the standard Toyota charge and even a Thai would be charged the same.

Having paid and left, I phoned a friend who owns a Toyota and, last time he took it in to Toyota Hua Hin for a service, he had also been told that his aircon needed servicing when he knew it didn't.

I ALSO KNOW MY AIRCON DID NOT NEED SERVICING.

I cannot speak for others but I have generally found that auto mechanics, AC technicians as well as others generally think we as farangs are stupid and no nothing about how to fix things.

I used to be in charge of an air conditioning section in the military which was not my specialty. Had the rank and was put in charge and had to learn enough to be dangerous to explain problems to the higher-ups. I was teaching here in Thailand after my retirement and the AC in the classroom kept losing freon every month and blowing only hot air. The repair that was done was just gas it up again and see you next month. I asked the AC guy in Thai why he did not repair the leak once and for good and got a look like 'who the hel_l are you to question me?' I found out later, they did not fix it as they should so they could put more hours on the clock for overtime.

I really don't understand why in the maintenance schedule why they change the power steering and brake fluid. Motor oil, yes, understandable but the others, no way they even get dirty as they are almost closed systems. I can't speak for any other country but when I was young, I had to learn how to fix my own car. I had students here in Thailand who did not even know where to check the oil in the car or even change a flat tire. They know how to drive fast but repair a car, hire a mechanic.

I have a friend who with his family went to the US for over a month. The wife returned early and the car would not start. She had a mechanic look at it and the bill was 20-30 thousand baht. This car had only been sitting for a month with no mileage on the car. She as a woman was considered too stupid to know better. The next year, my friend gave me the keys and I kept the battery charged and no 20-30 thousand baht bill. We men get taken advantage of but the women get screwed royally as no Thai man thinks a woman has any knowledge of auto mechanics.

Edited by puyaidon

That Toyota service story along with others I've heard about Toyota Hua Hin makes me glad I bought a Honda. Both Honda Pranburi and Honda Hua Hin have given me the best and cheapest service I've ever had anywhere in the world on two autos over the last six years. I take them in every 5000 kilometers to get the oil and oil filter changed and they always top up all fluids, and run about 50 other checks. They've found a few needed minor service items from time to time but my average bill is always between 1000 and 2000 baht no matter what they have done and they always wash and vacuum the car before returning it to me. :)

I had the same experience with a Fortuner at 30,000km. I made it clear that if the service was required it would be specified in the maintenance manual and that if there was any problem with the aircon at 30,00 then it should be fixed under warranty. The mechanic removed the filter blow some dust out and replaced it without additional charge.

This is not particular to Hua Hin as I have also been given the same story by Toyota in Chiang Mai. They also want to sell oil additives which is something that I also refuse, it appears that the staff are encouraged to sell additional services which in most cases are not necessary and certainly not on a relatively new vehicle.

I cannot speak for others but I have generally found that auto mechanics, AC technicians as well as others generally think we as farangs are stupid and no nothing about how to fix things.

I used to be in charge of an air conditioning section in the military which was not my specialty. Had the rank and was put in charge and had to learn enough to be dangerous to explain problems to the higher-ups. I was teaching here in Thailand after my retirement and the AC in the classroom kept losing freon every month and blowing only hot air. The repair that was done was just gas it up again and see you next month. I asked the AC guy in Thai why he did not repair the leak once and for good and got a look like 'who the hel_l are you to question me?' I found out later, they did not fix it as they should so they could put more hours on the clock for overtime.

I really don't understand why in the maintenance schedule why they change the power steering and brake fluid. Motor oil, yes, understandable but the others, no way they even get dirty as they are almost closed systems. I can't speak for any other country but when I was young, I had to learn how to fix my own car. I had students here in Thailand who did not even know where to check the oil in the car or even change a flat tire. They know how to drive fast but repair a car, hire a mechanic.

I have a friend who with his family went to the US for over a month. The wife returned early and the car would not start. She had a mechanic look at it and the bill was 20-30 thousand baht. This car had only been sitting for a month with no mileage on the car. She as a woman was considered too stupid to know better. The next year, my friend gave me the keys and I kept the battery charged and no 20-30 thousand baht bill. We men get taken advantage of but the women get screwed royally as no Thai man thinks a woman has any knowledge of auto mechanics.

The "Dealers" either need, or just want the money, and not only from us farangs, my wife went with her new Fortuner-TRD for the normal first service and she was also told that her air-con needed servicing, she agreed instantly, whether they really did anything I don't know, since the air-con was working alright, the charge was in excess of 2,000 THB

The costs of servicing my Fortuner in Kantaralak (Si Saket) have been absurdly cheap compared to main dealers in the UK (about one-third to one-fifth).

Thanks for the heads up though - I shall be on guard at the next 30,000 service.

To the OP. My advice would be .Go after the ' senior member of staff ' . Try to get her Full real name, also even better can get some sort of Photo of her at her place of work. With her name and Photo , Send them by email with you bill ( signed by her if possbile ) To Toyota head office in Japan. Dont bother with Toyota in Thailand. Write a little letter to them in English telling them what has happened. Making sure you include that you have always thought of Totota as your first choice of Car no matter what country you lived in before, saying now after the service you have recived from this woman in the dealership you will look to other car makers in the furture. Also in the letter put something in about you thought you where getting ripped off just becuase you where a Farang. I bet within in 2 weeks this girl will get fired and lose her job. It can be done and it has been done. The people fixing the car in on the scam yes, but they will be getting orders from senior members of staff. Get this girl fired and maybe the others will learn for the furture.

To the OP. My advice would be .Go after the ' senior member of staff ' . Try to get her Full real name, also even better can get some sort of Photo of her at her place of work. With her name and Photo , Send them by email with you bill ( signed by her if possbile ) To Toyota head office in Japan. Dont bother with Toyota in Thailand. Write a little letter to them in English telling them what has happened. Making sure you include that you have always thought of Totota as your first choice of Car no matter what country you lived in before, saying now after the service you have recived from this woman in the dealership you will look to other car makers in the furture. Also in the letter put something in about you thought you where getting ripped off just becuase you where a Farang. I bet within in 2 weeks this girl will get fired and lose her job. It can be done and it has been done. The people fixing the car in on the scam yes, but they will be getting orders from senior members of staff. Get this girl fired and maybe the others will learn for the furture.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to find Toyota Japan's address but failed. If you can let me know I'll send my complaint to them. Meanwhile I've sent it to Toyota Thailand who have got onto Toyota Prachuab Khiri Khan who are the parent of Toyota Hua Hin. They (Prachuab) phoned me today and offered me a 20% discount on what had been charged for the aircon service. I said "NO". They raised the offer to 50% and I said "NO' again. I explained I want 100% back as the job did not need doing and the staff had lied about what the problem was.

Toyota Prachuab said they will discuss it at a meeting on Monday. I'll let you know what happens.

If you do a search you may find a somewhat satirical thread of mine relating to the Toyota dealer at the north end of town, charging me a whopping Bt 79 for repairing a brake light switch. On another occasion they made a parking area call to jump start me after a dead battery .. no charge.

On neither trip did they try any sort of "hustle".

As for tires with remaining tread, "hard" tires should be replaced regardless of the tread thickness.

Quite surprsed at the number of posters that own up to being Fortuner owners.

I have a CRV, but what's wrong with owning a Fortuner?

I have a CRV also, but I have driven the Fortuner and it has all the characteristics of a pick-up, so there in lies the Toyota scam pick-up dressed as a SUV.

Quite surprsed at the number of posters that own up to being Fortuner owners.

I have a CRV, but what's wrong with owning a Fortuner?

I have a CRV also, but I have driven the Fortuner and it has all the characteristics of a pick-up, so there in lies the Toyota scam pick-up dressed as a SUV.

The CRV is an excellent vehicle for shopping and taking the kids to school but it is not a true 4x4 and off road there is no comparison with the Fortuner which is much more than a SUV. It also bears very little resemblance to a pick-up except perhaps for the basic chassis.

The Fortuner...............

To all intends and purposes it's a dolled up Vigo.

It has the Vigo chassis.

It handles like the Vigo.

It looks very much like the Vigo from the front.

Its top speed is that of a Vigo.

The interior is very much the same as the Vigo double cab

It's fuel consuption is much the same as the Vigo.

It's overall perfomane is very much on a Par with it's sister the Vigo.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig, but hey never mind I bet it is handy for all the off-road school runs and shopping trips.

It has the Vigo chassis.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig, but hey never mind I bet it is handy for all the off-road school runs and shopping trips.

I will not get into a long argument with you but I suggest that you test drive a Fortuner and study the specs. You will find that it has a completely different suspension from the Vigo and with Traction control and Stability control it handles completely differently. You have of course shifted the goal posts because the earlier comments were regarding comparing the Fortuner with a CRV not a Vigo and you can not compare the Vigo with the CRV or perhaps you can. In fact living up country I would rather have a Vigo than a CRV any day. The Fortuner adds more comfort in the cab, a better and safer ride and ensures that the shopping in back does not get wet.

It has the Vigo chassis.

I will not get into a long argument with you but I suggest that you test drive a Fortuner and study the specs. You will find that it has a completely different suspension from the Vigo and with Traction control and Stability control it handles completely differently. You have of course shifted the goal posts because the earlier comments were regarding comparing the Fortuner with a CRV not a Vigo and you can not compare the Vigo with the CRV or perhaps you can. In fact living up country I would rather have a Vigo than a CRV any day. The Fortuner adds more comfort in the cab, a better and safer ride and ensures that the shopping in back does not get wet.

I have driven the Fortuner several times, both long distance and around town and being the owner of both a CRV and a Vigo I am of the opinion that the drive and feel very much like my pick-up,

Anyway each to their own and I seeing it's popularity with the Hua Hin wideboy businessmen, property developers and estate agents, then what can you say......they deserve each other

It has the Vigo chassis.

I have driven the Fortuner several times, both long distance and around town and being the owner of both a CRV and a Vigo I am of the opinion that the drive and feel very much like my pick-up,

Anyway each to their own and I seeing it's popularity with the Hua Hin wideboy businessmen, property developers and estate agents, then what can you say......they deserve each other

Funny that, if you drive the same car, you must be the same type of person!

It has the Vigo chassis.

Funny that, if you drive the same car, you must be the same type of person!

That is not what I said or implied, what I said was

"Anyway each to their own and I seeing it's popularity with the Hua Hin wideboy businessmen, property developers and estate agents, then what can you say......they deserve each other"

hey, but if the hat fits!!

That Toyota service story along with others I've heard about Toyota Hua Hin makes me glad I bought a Honda. Both Honda Pranburi and Honda Hua Hin have given me the best and cheapest service I've ever had anywhere in the world on two autos over the last six years. I take them in every 5000 kilometers to get the oil and oil filter changed and they always top up all fluids, and run about 50 other checks. They've found a few needed minor service items from time to time but my average bill is always between 1000 and 2000 baht no matter what they have done and they always wash and vacuum the car before returning it to me. :)

I've got to say that Toyota at Pranburi have given me excellent service and I cannot praise them highly enough and have not had any of the 'scams' that have been mentioned, whereas I have heard that Toyota at Hua-Hin/Cha Am have not been upto the same standard.

I've got to say that Toyota at Pranburi have given me excellent service and I cannot praise them highly enough and have not had any of the 'scams' that have been mentioned, whereas I have heard that Toyota at Hua-Hin/Cha Am have not been upto the same standard.

Toyota Pranbury is the same company as Hua Hin, while Cha Am is Petchbury company.

Servicing aircon is not scheduled on LOS cars, to make maintaince cost look low. I just had my 2010 Vigo 20k km service at 12 months old, and choose to pay additional 2k baht for servicing/cleaning AC. I have done this on all my LOS cars (9 so far), and the aircon becomes more efficient, thus compressor running less often to keep a set interior temp.

In addition bacterias, funghi and bugs are cleaned out/ gone. No smoking car and seldom on resirculation air. Low price for fresh clean air :)

as for tyres more than 3 years old and 100k km, they are simply dangerous in any braking or traction situation even with 3mm tread. in addition unable to drain water.

comparing CRV and Fortuner, CRV is a car with slightly higher groundclearance and a very thirsty and lazy petrolengine. totally useless off road even with clutch/viscoseoperated awd. used to have one, will not get a second one

Fortuner is a off road seven seater with e very economical and powerful diesel engine, and its full time 4x4 is great off road and increases traction on road. build on a frame sourced from vigo pickup, but modified, shortened and with different suspension more oriented towards comfort. Extremely sturdy. These vehicles have very low excice tax (20%) in LOS, so purchase price is a bargain here. used to have one, wouldn hesitate to get another one

brake fluid. absolutely needs replacing, most say every second year. brake fluid takes up humidity from air, reducing boiling point. it takes usually max 2 years to lower boiling temp to dangerous levels, but some car manufactroers like honda and toyota require it replaced at 40k km for some models. when brake fluid boils, you have no brakes

Edited by katabeachbum

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find the email address of Toyota Japan, but sent my complaint to Toyota Bangkok. They contacted Toyota Prachuab Khiri Khan (parent company of Toyota Hua Hin) and instructed them to refund to me 100% of the charge for the aircon service.

The full amount was deposited into my bank account two days later so matter closed.