Uk Visa For Wife And Son

Hello. i married my thai wife 2.5 years ago and we now have a 2 month old son. when i first decided to build a house up in issan i thought life would be easy, as at the time i was working as a sub contractor (in uk)and getting work was really easy, plenty overtime, plenty cash really and lots of flexibility as not having set contract. but now times have changed and the last time i went back to scotland(14 months ago) i couldnt find work, so after 3 months came back over to thailand with the last of my savings. The thing is now i have pretty much exhausted all funds. But the job propects in my field(welding) are looking bleaker than ever back in scotland, and i have 3 months left on my multiple entry visa, can't afford to stay longer than that.

Here is my question/questions....can someone else sponsor/provide accommodation for my wife if i can't find employment in scotland/uk? as my parents have said they will be able to.

i am really worried about going back alone and this time being stuck with no job and none in the near future, as now its not only my wife i will be leaving but also our little boy, i couldn't bare to be without them for a lengthy period.

Also my wife owes around 100 000 baht for her old car, which we planned to pay by now but have had to put on hold due to my failure to find work...will this count against her visa? or does this not come into the equation?

but i can sell the pick up to cover that if necessary.

we are a young family with plenty to look forward too, im only 30 so have 35 years working life in me, but the uk is kinda screwed jobs wise. any advice would be much appreciated

ps if i get the boy a uk passport aswell as a thai one, will he not need any visa? for either country?

thanks in advance

Tough situation, mate. Don't worry, though, it'll right itself.

As far as the prerequisites for a Settlement Visa for you all goes, I'll leave that to others. Plenty of good expertise here.

Just wanted to state that, get your boys British nationality and passport sorted out soon. It won't be awkward, assuming you're a Brit already and the birth & marriage certificates are kosher. Once he's got that, he's as much a Brit as you or me and come and go from UK as he pleases.

Maybe not obvious, but get his Thai passport sorted out as well.

Know nowt about welding, but I'd suggest you could be flexible in work location. Look over Hadrian's Wall until something closer to home comes up.

Edited by Lannatyne

Hi bigmac

I'm in the same boat as you sub-contact work in construction in the UK, have been here in Thailand all this year, hoping things will improve back in the UK, but hasn't so far, maybe things will improve next year. My wife already has a UK passport so we can go back anytime if work does pick up.

Regarding your son get both a UK and Thai passport, then its that much easier, enter UK on UK passport no visa required, and enter Thailand on Thai passport no visa required.

I will leave the settlement visa question for others.

Have you thought about working here yourself?

Good luck for the future and welcome to thaivisa

Lannatyne beat me to the punch, but i agree be flexible with looking for work in the uk.

Edited by steve187

Tough situation, mate. Don't worry, though, it'll right itself.

As far as the prerequisites for a Settlement Visa for you all goes, I'll leave that to others. Plenty of good expertise here.

Just wanted to state that, get your boys British nationality and passport sorted out soon. It won't be awkward, assuming you're a Brit already and the birth & marriage certificates are kosher. Once he's got that, he's as much a Brit as you or me and come and go from UK as he pleases.

Maybe not obvious, but get his Thai passport sorted out as well.

Know nowt about welding, but I'd suggest you could be flexible in work location. Look over Hadrian's Wall until something closer to home comes up.

thanks very much for the advice, maybe i will have to go down south for work as scotland is in a dire situation

Hi bigmac

I'm in the same boat as you sub-contact work in construction in the UK, have been here in Thailand all this year, hoping things will improve back in the UK, but hasn't so far, maybe things will improve next year. My wife already has a UK passport so we can go back anytime if work does pick up.

Regarding your son get both a UK and Thai passport, then its that much easier, enter UK on UK passport no visa required, and enter Thailand on Thai passport no visa required.

I will leave the settlement visa question for others.

Have you thought about working here yourself?

Good luck for the future and welcome to thaivisa

Lannatyne beat me to the punch, but i agree be flexible with looking for work in the uk.

hey thanks also for the advice. can i ask how your wife has a uk passport? and haven't really considered working here as i stay in a really remote area. what kind of work where you thinking? teaching english? im scottish so have enough problems speaking english my self!:lol:

Third party support is acceptable, as TVE says. However, the ECO will want to see what steps you have taken to find work once you are back in the UK.

Remember that whoever is offering financial support will need to provide evidence of their ability to do so.

Whoever is offering you accommodation will need to show that they either own the property or have their landlord's permission for you to live there if they rent. They should also provide evidence that there is room for you.

See Maintenance and accommodation.

You may also find Settlement; Spouses helpful.