เรารึเด็ก

farangnahrak

I'm trying to understand this sentence, especially the second part.

ว่าแต่แฟนดูไฮโซเนอะ เรารึเด็กกะโปโลสุดๆๆ

My guess, which doesn't quite make sense to me:

I think that your gf looks very hi-so, no? I or a very very nonsensical child.

I think ว่าแต่ should be translated as "But (I think)..."

As for the second part รึ (หรือ) makes it question... like ฉันหรือ "Who, me?" เรา here could mean "you" or "me". Colloquially, I'd say "เด็กกะโปโล" means something like "little punk". It's kind of hard to understand without context, but here's my full translation:

But I think my/your girlfriend looks like a socialite-and me/you? I'm/You're just a little punk.

ว่าแต่แฟนดูไฮโซเนอะ เรารึเด็กกะโปโลสุดๆๆ

Does that make any sense in context?

"My girlfriend looks hi-so but as for me, I'm a total punk."

(I take 'punk' here to be a positive style statement, rather than self-deprecation, going by the double ๆๆ)

Credit to Peppy: I couldn't figure เด็กกะโปโล on my own, either.

Lexitron has

กะโปโล

[ADJ] nonsensical; childish Ex. ใครจะสนใจเด็กกะโปโลอย่างฉัน

(NECTEC Lexitron 2 TH-EN)

which I translate as:

"Who would be interested in a foolish child like me?"

Edited by SoftWater

So in other words, this phrase:

เรารึเด็กกะโปโลสุดๆๆ

is basically the same as saying:

เรารึ? เด็กกะโปโลสุดๆๆ

right?

If you were to translate it close to the literal meaning you would have, I am just saying that your girlfriend looks hi class whereas we are the 'polo shirt' wearing class.

Edit; I didn't realize that กะโปโล is an adjective meaning not getting the story or dirty, the example in the dictionary is เด็กกะโบโล meaning either มอมแมม ว. เปื่อนเปรอะ สกปรก or ไม่ได้รู้เรืองราว

I think that both the official English translation and the Thai both give the picture.

Edited by tgeezer

Rest assured.. กะโปโล has nothing to do with wearing polo shirts.

เด็กกะโปโล is like a grubby little kid. Think street urchin.

I know that, I only left that in after I edited to show that I am honest. :rolleyes:

In the 52 RID polo shirts are defined so didn't look for กะโปโล took กะ to be กับ

I was surprised to see that the 42 edition did not have Polo shirts but did have กะโปโล.

It is always awkward to know what a word means if the RID has given an example as in this case, because it tends to limit the meaning to that. But there is the other definition; ไม่ได้รู้เรื่องราว

Of course farangnarak should know the answer, are they scruffy, dirty, unkemp, or out of touch, not with it?

Of course farangnarak should know the answer, are they scruffy, dirty, unkemp, or out of touch, not with it?

Nope, that girl is just an average normal person, about age 30. She fits in well with the world.

That said, the hi-so chick is super hi-so - wealthy, travels the world, dresses very nice, well educated, etc.

Nope, that girl is just an average normal person, about age 30. She fits in well with the world.

That said, the hi-so chick is super hi-so - wealthy, travels the world, dresses very nice, well educated, etc.

What I do is subtitute the definitions for the word and read it a few times, see what you feel. The choice is between สกปรก and ไม่ได้รู้เรืองราว