Engine Oil; Change On My Ford Pick Up

riley76

Normally ithe vehicle goes into a ford dealer anywhere in thailand, always been happy with them untill recently

so i will do it myself

A friend advised me to put an oil additive in, the stuff thats supposed to give greater protection etc

[not molyslip] any members thoughts please, yes or no. i once put STP in a french car and it wrecked the engine they said

looking for help here, not silly comments thanks to all riley

Forget additives. Use synthetic oil for your application and forget. :)

Listen to what he says! only way to go ;)

yepp

If additives would even slightly reduce internal friction in engine, all engine makers would recommend them to reduce fuel and emision, improve compression and extend lifetime. Every enginemakers goal.:)

Unfortunately they dont do that. Most engine oils contain additives to give oil the desired spec. But diesel engine oil contains very lttle additives , as they are not needed. Replace oil with high quality synthetic turbodiesel oil and filter. Commonrail year 2005 and newer every 10.000km/6 months minimum. Older engines every 5k km/6 months minimum.

Good quality synthetic oil changed every 5000 km and you will look after your motor no problem. As said if additives were any good they would be included in the oil already but aren't. Believe me if the oil companies thought they were any use they would be adding them and charging you more for a premium product like they do with synthetic ;)

yepp

If additives would even slightly reduce internal friction in engine, all engine makers would recommend them to reduce fuel and emision, improve compression and extend lifetime. Every enginemakers goal.:)

Unfortunately they dont do that. Most engine oils contain additives to give oil the desired spec. But diesel engine oil contains very lttle additives , as they are not needed. Replace oil with high quality synthetic turbodiesel oil and filter. Commonrail year 2005 and newer every 10.000km/6 months minimum. Older engines every 5k km/6 months minimum.

ooops, bad advice, some commonrail diesels, like Isuzu, seem to require oil change every 5k km.

rather unbelievable old tech, when 10 year old diesels like VW,Audi, Benz and BMW are recommended every 25-30k km.

rather unbelievable old tech, when 10 year old diesels like VW,Audi, Benz and BMW are recommended every 25-30k km.

Yes, old design, does make one think eh. Even my 2001, 2.2, 4 pot Merc had a terrific diesel motor, unbelievably quiet and powerful and thats 10 years ago ;).

had same 2001 estate, dark blue metallic with cream leather, Avantgarde :D

27-30k km between services and oil change, sensors providing info on when needed, indicated on dash :D :D

today this 2150cc engine delivers 204hp and +400Nm, called 250CDi now.:P

at least Toyota and Nissan are 10k km between oil change :)

yepp

10,000 km or 1 year would be OK using synthetic turbodiesel oil surely ?

yepp

10,000 km or 1 year would be OK using synthetic turbodiesel oil surely ?

the golden rule is max 6 months, due to condense (water) and fuel in oil. the shorter trips/less use, the more condense and fuel in oil

I keep looking at all these post's about different oil's, but how dose it affect the guarantee. Maker's recomend that you use there stated oil so if you change it to synthtic how are you placed ??? I get round this by doing what they (Toyota) sugest but do it every 5/6000 km and not 10,000 as it only cost 1,200bt for a full service from Toyota's, to me this seem's the best bet.

I keep looking at all these post's about different oil's, but how dose it affect the guarantee. Maker's recomend that you use there stated oil so if you change it to synthtic how are you placed ??? I get round this by doing what they (Toyota) sugest but do it every 5/6000 km and not 10,000 as it only cost 1,200bt for a full service from Toyota's, to me this seem's the best bet.

Toyota would prefer you use synthetic oil as they do supply their own ' brand ' of synthetic which is beneficial for your rides longevity and they make a few extra baht taboot.

Just an add on, run mineral oil for first 1000km as supplied for run/break in then switch with new filter. :)

Got to go for a service in the next week or two and I'll ask, thank's.