Pda Phone Gprs Connection Problem

Rags

Following discussions on a previous thread regarding choice of a PDA/Phone with email and internet capabilities I recently got around to buying an Asus P505. It has Windows 2003 SE and similar specs to the Xda 02 mini, but is a fair bit cheaper.

I am very happy with it except for the fact that the GPRS connection often requires a soft reboot to activate the modem. I am using DTAC, and the connection settings were setup at the DTAC call centre.

The GPRS will work fine for a few connections and I can send and receive email without a hitch. Then if I try to connect again after leaving the machine in standby for an hour or two, I get a message saying that the modem cannot connect and to check my settings. (I will post the actual message shortly, but as Sod's Law would have it the bl00dy thing is connecting fine this morning!)

If I perform a soft reboot then a 'G' appears for a few seconds at the top of the windows screen and then disappears, after this the GPRS works fine again for a few hours. When I am actually connected there is no 'G' shown at the top, but the standard signal bars has two arrows displayed.

I assume that the 'G' indicates that it is initiallising the GPRS modem settings, which for some reason then get lost during the day - any ideas...?

Does this sound like a software, hardware or network problem?

Cheers

Rags

The G in the corner means you have an active GPRS connection.

I have the same problem with my Nokia phone/laptop combination. It seems like the modem disconnects/locks up, but this disconnect is not acknowledged at the providers side. Hence all subsequent attempts will result in failure...

Only solution with my phone is to shut it down (resulting in my number being removed from the active list at the provider) and then just turning it on again.

Subsequent gprs connections are succesful again.

I guess this is what happens when you do the soft reset. The built in phone shuts down, restarts and connects again with the dtac network. After the reboot you see the G for a short while until your phone detects there is no more gprs connection active and updates the screen accordingly!

In short, a network problem, might be caused by a temporary interuption in data flow due to some interference...