Vanilla And Caramel Syrup

LordPoona

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I decided to bump this old thread because it came up on a google search and could use an update. My comments all relate to Pattaya.

First, I use Vanilla syrup every day in home-made Vanilla Lattes. I rarely had issues finding the syrup until the Flood/Food distribution issues of October/November 2011. I previously purchased the Venezia Syrup from Villa Market, and only on some occasions did I find that they were out-of-stock of the Vanilla. But I always had an extra bottle on hand and never worried about it.

Second, with the flood came product shortages. I was unable to find Vanilla syrup at any store in Pattaya. That caused me to do a little more research.

VENEZIA:

Venezia syrup is sold in 750ml plastic bottle for 280-320b. It is an Australian import and I have only found it available at Villa market, next to the Honey and other syrups. Villa sells Vanilla and Butterscotch in this brand and size.

TORANI:

Torani is the most commonly recognized brand as it is the brand most often used in coffee shops. It is the most expensive of the brands, presumably because of the brand name recognition. IMO it has no quality advantage. Torani Vanilla syrup was difficult to find in Pattaya. I finally found it at the BonCafe office/store in Naklua. The 300ml bottle was 300b. Villa market was the only store carrying the Torani brand in Pattaya that I could find but they do not stock Torani Vanilla -- only other flavors (Hazelnut, Caramel, etc.) (including the sugar free Vanilla from time to time). The sugar free version is flavorless IMO. The other flavors sell for 289-300b.

LIN:

The third brand is LIN Vanilla Syrup and is manufactured by the LIN sugar company here in Thailand. In the past, I didn't know about this brand as it wasn't prominently displayed ... and in some stores, wasn't displayed near the other syrups. At one Tesco/Lotus, the LIN brand was displayed next to the sugar.

Lin Vanilla syrup is sold in a squarish-plastic bottle of 300ml. The cost is 89b. Lin also sells other flavors (hazelnut, caramel) and some fruit flavors (Apple berry and Forest berry). The berry syrups are much more expensive. I have purchased two bottles and will try the syrup tomorrow morning. My guess however, is that it will be equal to the other syrups I have been purchasing at a much reduced price.

In comparison, Venezia 750ml at 300b, would compare to Torani at 750b for 750ml, and LIN at 223b for 750ml.

Lin states their product is available at "Lotus, Tops, Foodland, The Mall, Villa, Tang Hua Seng, Tokyu" . Once I found the LIN syrup, I did find it at Foodland, Villa and Tesco/Lotus.

I hope this helps someone else someday. :)

post-83794-0-40000900-1320412157_thumb.p

post-83794-0-47192400-1320412171_thumb.p

post-83794-0-74628700-1320412180_thumb.j

I decided to bump this old thread because it came up on a google search and could use an update. My comments all relate to Pattaya.

First, I use Vanilla syrup every day in home-made Vanilla Lattes. I rarely had issues finding the syrup until the Flood/Food distribution issues of October/November 2011. I previously purchased the Venezia Syrup from Villa Market, and only on some occasions did I find that they were out-of-stock of the Vanilla. But I always had an extra bottle on hand and never worried about it.

Second, with the flood came product shortages. I was unable to find Vanilla syrup at any store in Pattaya. That caused me to do a little more research.

VENEZIA:

Venezia syrup is sold in 750ml plastic bottle for 280-320b. It is an Australian import and I have only found it available at Villa market, next to the Honey and other syrups. Villa sells Vanilla and Butterscotch in this brand and size.

TORANI:

Torani is the most commonly recognized brand as it is the brand most often used in coffee shops. It is the most expensive of the brands, presumably because of the brand name recognition. IMO it has no quality advantage. Torani Vanilla syrup was difficult to find in Pattaya. I finally found it at the BonCafe office/store in Naklua. The 300ml bottle was 300b. Villa market was the only store carrying the Torani brand in Pattaya that I could find but they do not stock Torani Vanilla -- only other flavors (Hazelnut, Caramel, etc.) (including the sugar free Vanilla from time to time). The sugar free version is flavorless IMO. The other flavors sell for 289-300b.

LIN:

The third brand is LIN Vanilla Syrup and is manufactured by the LIN sugar company here in Thailand. In the past, I didn't know about this brand as it wasn't prominently displayed ... and in some stores, wasn't displayed near the other syrups. At one Tesco/Lotus, the LIN brand was displayed next to the sugar.

Lin Vanilla syrup is sold in a squarish-plastic bottle of 300ml. The cost is 89b. Lin also sells other flavors (hazelnut, caramel) and some fruit flavors (Apple berry and Forest berry). The berry syrups are much more expensive. I have purchased two bottles and will try the syrup tomorrow morning. My guess however, is that it will be equal to the other syrups I have been purchasing at a much reduced price.

In comparison, Venezia 750ml at 300b, would compare to Torani at 750b for 750ml, and LIN at 223b for 750ml.

Lin states their product is available at "Lotus, Tops, Foodland, The Mall, Villa, Tang Hua Seng, Tokyu" . Once I found the LIN syrup, I did find it at Foodland, Villa and Tesco/Lotus.

I hope this helps someone else someday. :)

There's also Monin. At least there is in Chiang Mai at several different establishments. So it should be available in Pattaya, too.

... My guess however, is that it will be equal to the other syrups I have been purchasing at a much reduced price. ...

So far the LIN taste as good as the others, although possibly not as rich/strong as Venezia. I have only tried it one time so far.

Thanks, I didn't know about one called "Monin". I will keep looking for this one in Pattaya, although I believe I have exhausted the current stores.

post-83794-0-66577700-1320463949_thumb.j

Edited by chaihot

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I found a different brand of Syrup in Thailand (including my preference for Vanilla).

The brand is called ROUTIN. It is available at the HomeWorks store next to Big C South. At the entrance is a coffee shop and coffee shop SUPPLY store. They sell coffee equipment and the items needed to open a coffee shop.

The brand is ROUTIN but it is known on the internet as "1883 syrups by Routin".

"1883 de Philibert Routin, All natural gourmet syrups imported from the French Alps to flavor coffee based drinks, cocktails, sodas, beers and granitas. Considered the cadillac of all flavored syrups ..."

The store had multiple flavors, but I didn't write them down. The web shows more than a dozen flavors made.

The syrup is sold in a 1L (glass) bottle for a cost of 535b. That places it less than Torani, but more than the others mentioned in this thread.

post-83794-0-89994500-1322546894_thumb.j

In Pattaya you can find a lot of different syrups in the coffeeshop at Homeworks, Sukhumvit next to BigC. They use it for different coffee tastes and sale there packs of coffeebeans and syrup bottles too.

Edited by snowgard

Villa market in Pattaya has increased the space they allocate to syrups ... and now carry various syrups from LIN, Torani, Monin, Routin, and Venezia. However vanilla is only stocked under LIN lately ...

• 1 month later...

Today I found another Vanilla syrup sold in Pattaya. It is imported from France, with a brand name of Montania. Sold in 1l bottle for 268b. Available at the 94 coffee store in the old Carrefour Building (Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang).

The same amount of LIN (the lowest cost so far) would cost 297b. That places an imported syrup CHEAPER than a made in Thailand syrup!

post-83794-0-08644200-1325500815_thumb.j

Edited by chaihot