What Cant You Get In Thailand?

First of all apologies! tried to post this a little while back and something strange happend to my PC and not sure if it got posted! I waited a while and it didnt show but dont know how long it takes to appear - so it may be here twice!

Ok, I am really thinking here of make-up, cosmetics in general that kind of thing! I am in the UK and I knowthere are body shops in Thailnd and i like their stuff but dont know what the prices are like there. I also know that lots of shops sell some nail varnish, sun lotion etc but from what i have seen they are brands I dont know. Can you get lots of brands from UK ( for instance L'oreal,) or are they expensive? Or do people use local brands? And are there any things that you either just cant get or are too expensive?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get most imported brands of cosmetics (like L'oreal, Clinique, Lancome, etc) in all Robinsons stores.

I know... my nickname for my Thai missus when we're shopping is "Miss Lancome". :D

Costs me a bleedin' fortune... :o

:D

First of all apologies!  tried to post this a little while back and something strange happend to my PC and not sure if it got posted! I waited a while and it didnt show but dont know how long it takes to appear - so it may be here twice!

Ok, I am really thinking here of make-up, cosmetics in general that kind of thing! I am in the UK and I knowthere are body shops in Thailnd and i like their stuff but dont know what the prices are like there. I also know that lots of shops sell some nail varnish, sun lotion etc but from what i have seen they are brands I dont know. Can you get lots of brands from UK ( for instance L'oreal,) or are they expensive? Or do people use local brands? And are there any things that you either just cant get or are too expensive?

yes, imported brands are expensive, but there are good local equivalents if you look around

ask Thai women about what you need :o:D

There are Boots, Watsons and the Body Shop in the really big cities but if you are out in the country you will find things hard to find. I tend not to bother with anything made for Thai women as almost all of those now have whitening products added. Even skin whitening underarm deodorant!

Before I came to Thailand I made sure I took advantage of the duty free shops! But while I'm in Thailand I tend to use foundations from The Body Shop aswell as other cosmetics. I find that whilst shopping for makeup they have colours that suit a Thai's complexion rather than a farangs, such as bright eyeshadows and lipsticks in pinks and reds which are rather suited to a Thai skin tone.

However, in The Body Shop and Boots I find a good range of colourings suited for everybody so I'd say you were better in those shops. Just a suggestion though. :o

Thanks for the replies- maybe when i am there permanently i will have to tey imported stuff as i dont think make up for thai women will probably suit my very pale skin tone! I don't want to be any paler than I already am.

Thanks for the replies- maybe when i am there permanently i will have to tey imported stuff as i dont think make up for thai women will probably suit my very pale skin tone! I don't want to be any paler than I already am.

I'm also very pale but I wouldn't want to be any different now :o I understand about you not wanting to be any paler!

You can get most imported brands of cosmetics (like L'oreal, Clinique, Lancome, etc) in all Robinsons stores.

I know... my nickname for my Thai missus when we're shopping is "Miss Lancome".  :D

Costs me a bleedin' fortune...  :o

:D

Too funny...that is what her cousin calls her also! What's crazy is the price for the stuff is about the same there as it is here (NYC)! I've tried to get "Miss Lancome's" cousin to shop for cheaper stuff. Hasn't worked. Oh well...the end result is worth the money... :D

Too funny...that is what her cousin calls her also!  What's crazy is the price for the stuff is about the same there as it is here (NYC)!  I've tried to get "Miss Lancome's" cousin to shop for cheaper stuff.  Hasn't worked.  Oh well...the end result is worth the money... :D

I've been able to wean her gradually off the Lancome products Craig... Clinique's the go now. :D

Still <deleted> expensive though... :o

But as you say... the results are worth it! :D

What do the rest of you ladies on the Forum think about imported cosmetics vs local stuff? Quality? Price? Value for money etc?

I'm a stingy soul and won't pay outrageous prices for stuff. That said, if someone buys it for me I never turn it down. (Is this my Scots heritage peeking through here?) Anyway, I have been blessed with good skin, the fact that I don't smoke, don't drink (not much anyway) and have never been into sunbathing has contributed alot but then so have good genes. I use a good moisturizer and a good cleanser but don't go overboard for the expensive products.

Besides which, none of those are available here anyway :o

I've used everything from the top end (La Prarie -spelling), to 20 baht tamarind scrubs. My constant stuff is a skincare line by Kiehls, which I get in New York. Large bottle of facial cleanser - 25 USD - lasts for almost 2 years; 2 large moisturizers - 50 USD - lasts 1 year; facial scrub - 15 USD - lasts about 1 year. It's a great skincare line and is quite economical; I swear by it.

Unfortunately, Kiehls hasn't come to Thailand yet - but I hear it will be here in a matter of months. It will be interesting to see how much it costs here.

In the meantime, I'm using a cleanser by Shiesido, and a 100 baht Thai herbal moisturizer. I also use a nivea undereye moisturizer. Thai herbal products are great! And the point about tumeric is spot on (which is in another thread - oops!)

Edited by kat

Apart from cosmetics, I have found it really hard - if not impossible to buy bras, super plus tamons and shoes, tops (not blouses or anything you can have made at a tailor) off the peg clothing in general (I am nearly 6 feet tall though!) amongst other things.

oH YES CAN WE TALK HERE!! Mini tampons, super slim how about those of us that have had children? I have now (Finally ) found a brand at boots that works. Had my sister send me blonde eyebrow pencils from home. No thank you on all the skin whitening products including hand lotion! :o

Finding a good face cream isn't easy, (I'm also not into the whitening products) I brought some back from Canada last year.

Last time friends came over from Canada, I asked them to bring me: "Secret" antiperspirant sticks which used to be available but no more, "Caramilk" chocolate bars, sweet green relish, and bras I bought on the net but could only be shipped to an address in America or Canada.

Nakhon is getting a "Booths" soon, never thought I would be excited about a drugstore opening

:o

I find it difficult to get a decent haircut anywhere, even at the higher end places. Ive been given Barbie doll hair twice now at two of the most expensive hairdressers here. :o

And i always struggle to find really intensive conditioners, so tend to get large shipments of hot oil and hair masks sent over.

My boss went to a salon yesterday to get her hair highlighted and came back with huge orange streaks through her hair :D

I did find a few bras in the big Tokyu dept store in BKK once but I tend to buy my bras and undies from Victorias Secret when I go home every year.

Oooh, Gisele, I am envious. You are getting a Boots!!

i would say bras are the number one thing i can not find in thailand, along with underwear (thais wear what we americans refer to as "granny" underwear for the most part). besides that, the things i miss from home are all food related. like cheese, good mexican food, krispy kreme donuts, artichokes, etc.

Oooh, Gisele, I am envious. You are getting a Boots!!

and to my surprise and incredible joy, Robinson's has "Body Shop" products.

I go to Samui once a month or so to get my fix of Mexican food, and to buy some magazines and decent cheese.

i would say bras are the number one thing i can not find in thailand, along with underwear (thais wear what we americans refer to as "granny" underwear for the most part).  besides that, the things i miss from home are all food related. like cheese, good mexican food, krispy kreme donuts, artichokes, etc.

I have trouble with bras too. Most sizes are too small, or look ugly.

i would say bras are the number one thing i can not find in thailand, along with underwear (thais wear what we americans refer to as "granny" underwear for the most part).  besides that, the things i miss from home are all food related. like cheese, good mexican food, krispy kreme donuts, artichokes, etc.

I have trouble with bras too. Most sizes are too small, or look ugly.

Well.... girl of your age can do without anyway... :o

totster :D

Haircuts - whether cheap or expensive. I had a couple of good ones in the beginning, but soon realized it was very lucky.

Bras - they never fit right, and most are filled with mountains of padding :o

And recently - a good facial. It seems like even the best places don't really understand how to clean pores or give the proper facial for varying skin types.

Can anyone suggest a place?

What cant you get in thailand.............................depressed because your in England! and cant wait to get back to your house in thailand thats what!!!!!!!! :D

Umm.. Daveb1... I hate to break this to you but most of the Ladies on this forum are living in Thailand so it doesn't really apply here. But thanks for reminding us to be grateful for some things anyway!

and Totster, I believe a girl should always wear a bra because without one the weight will eventually pull them down and by the time she is 40 she will have papayas instead of melons :o:D

i hear that cosmetics and underwear aren't too bad a problem but for many western women in thailand, its almost impossible to get laid.

otherwise most other things are available if you look hard enough.  just my 2 satangs.

Sorry but thats really not true, I actually get laid on a very regular basis :D

A bit too regular sometimes, not that im complaining :o

i hear that cosmetics and underwear aren't too bad a problem but for many western women in thailand, its almost impossible to get laid.

otherwise most other things are available if you look hard enough.  just my 2 satangs.

And that is about all its worth too. :o