Two Bangkok Schools Shut After Deadly Brawl

webfact

One factor is the teachers (not all of course) who brainwash and encourage these kids into these actions for the glory of their school.

My understanding is that this 'factor' is well known, and the teachers concerned are well known to school principals, the police., etc, but there is never any action taken.

Yes indeed, my Thai friends assure me that there is a long tradition of 'Teacher' support for this mindless violence, staggeringly unbelivable, I know.

A teacher was stopped driving pupils in his pick up, the police found guns and swords . . . . . what action was taken, no one can recall.

Why aren't the PARENTS being called out? These are minors, right? The parents still have responsibility for their behaviours, too, right? It's all too easy to blame the schools but teachers can't be 24 hr police. Closing/blaming the schools simply means you lose one 'safe place' to keep the groups separated- let them all out on the streets and won't they just be able to fight all the time?

Now, one thing that the schools could do is make it clear that anyone who gets involved in any of these shenanigans gets expelled, immediately, no refunds issued, and thrown to the police to do whatever the law requires. Far too often the kids are shielded from the consequences of their actions by their schools. I think most parents would line up behind this kind of rule given these problems.

And, of course, public order has to be maintained by a municipal police force that has been demonstrated quite recently to have no moral authority, public trust, or competence in doing so whatsoever.

They should get rid of the school uniforms. This is the identifying trademark for targeting each other. If they want them to wear a uniform, then they can put them on after arriving on campus.

The Uniforms are nothing more than gang colors.

And, of course, public order has to be maintained by a municipal police force that has been demonstrated quite recently to have no moral authority, public trust, or competence in doing so whatsoever.

yes indeed -what do they actually do ? They make the Keystone Kops look very efficient :rolleyes:

I cannot relate to this mayhem in any meaningful way since at the tender age of 15 I enlisted in th e Royal Navy. I was one of the exceptions from the mainstream since I didn't come from a broken home and my parents lived together. Some had been persuaded to enlist by their parents so that they wouldn't end up working in a coal mine or end up as factory fodder. Most of the other lads came from orphanages or had been given the option of joining the Armed Forces or being sentenced to a Borstal institution as the Young Offenders confinement places were then known.

We were marched up and down quite a lot, shown how to launder, iron and repair our clothes, our mettle tested by having to climb a 120 foot mast before breakfast, paraded every day, attended school to improve education, learned how to tie knots (bends and hitches), taught to splice both rope and steel wire rope, taught to swim fully clothed, taught all the practices of a boats crew under oars or sail including being the coxswain, and just to make sure that we were ready for bed at 2100, there were football, rugby, cricket and boxing involvement. At all times we were under the watchful eyes of chief and petty officers and everybody who wasn't a Boy Seaman was addressed as 'Sir'. Discipline was very strict but fair. On one occasion another lad and I were punished by being caned by a Master at Arms, 12 strokes with a long rattan cane, for being out of our beds and skylarking after lights out. We didn't transgress ever again!

Of course this was donkey's years ago and the 'do gooders' have stopped all that. All the other old salts who underwent that regime admit now that that was the best thing that ever happened to them. It put many on the straight and narrow, gave us confidence in ourselves and our capabilities, taught us forbearance and respect both for ourselves and others, and showed us how to become team players.

Alas, society has changed and those who talk a lot and now seem to govern our lives look upon that as barbaric and akin to sending young children up chimneys. I do not believe in the kid glove methods employed these days. Delinquents know that nothing much will happen to them and that they can do as they like. I believe in short sharp shocks, and for repeat offenders, long periods of strict supervision without privileges, comforts, TV, PC's and Internet games, and if necessary, humiliation in front of their contemporaries. Facilities should be made available to enable personal growth and I am thinking the ability to read and write, maybe learn a trade, how to use the good things about the Internet and how a reasonable and well adjusted person should conduct themselves.

Would Thailand implement such a policy? I doubt it very much. Not only does it not fit in with Thai 'culture' (or that of the First World) but where would you get the supervisors to control it? Thailand boasts of corrupt policemen, corrupt prison warders and not a few of the monks are a bit dodgy so all of this is just whistling into the wind. The chaos will continue as will all the other ills of a sick society. Maybe Buddha will take care?

When at every level of Thai society violence seems to be the answer it is not surprising that youth follows that example. Also, the simmering fury that lies just beneath the surface of that calm Thai veneer is truly frightening. Loss of temper in Thailand is not a matter of foot stamping. Unless, of course, it's done repeatedly on someone's head.

We all know to be cool headed and hearted. The same as we know not to react to bad driving as the guy at the wheel is likely to lose it and shoot you as that is his right; anytime, any place, any where, and usually he'll be wearing a uniform. Thais believe that as it is their country they have the right to do anything, any time, anywhere. And we're not talking chew gum and fart. They haven't mastered that yet. There are no consequences. And lets not forget that final clincher; it's all in the hands of Mr. Buddha.

Therefore, we would be wise to avoid schools as potentially dangerous places. Along with every where else the other side of your front door.

Wow!!

I wish it wasn't all true

I cannot relate to this mayhem in any meaningful way since at the tender age of 15 I enlisted in th e Royal Navy. I was one of the exceptions from the mainstream since I didn't come from a broken home and my parents lived together. Some had been persuaded to enlist by their parents so that they wouldn't end up working in a coal mine or end up as factory fodder. Most of the other lads came from orphanages or had been given the option of joining the Armed Forces or being sentenced to a Borstal institution as the Young Offenders confinement places were then known.

We were marched up and down quite a lot, shown how to launder, iron and repair our clothes, our mettle tested by having to climb a 120 foot mast before breakfast, paraded every day, attended school to improve education, learned how to tie knots (bends and hitches), taught to splice both rope and steel wire rope, taught to swim fully clothed, taught all the practices of a boats crew under oars or sail including being the coxswain, and just to make sure that we were ready for bed at 2100, there were football, rugby, cricket and boxing involvement. At all times we were under the watchful eyes of chief and petty officers and everybody who wasn't a Boy Seaman was addressed as 'Sir'. Discipline was very strict but fair. On one occasion another lad and I were punished by being caned by a Master at Arms, 12 strokes with a long rattan cane, for being out of our beds and skylarking after lights out. We didn't transgress ever again!

Of course this was donkey's years ago and the 'do gooders' have stopped all that. All the other old salts who underwent that regime admit now that that was the best thing that ever happened to them. It put many on the straight and narrow, gave us confidence in ourselves and our capabilities, taught us forbearance and respect both for ourselves and others, and showed us how to become team players.

Alas, society has changed and those who talk a lot and now seem to govern our lives look upon that as barbaric and akin to sending young children up chimneys. I do not believe in the kid glove methods employed these days. Delinquents know that nothing much will happen to them and that they can do as they like. I believe in short sharp shocks, and for repeat offenders, long periods of strict supervision without privileges, comforts, TV, PC's and Internet games, and if necessary, humiliation in front of their contemporaries. Facilities should be made available to enable personal growth and I am thinking the ability to read and write, maybe learn a trade, how to use the good things about the Internet and how a reasonable and well adjusted person should conduct themselves.

Would Thailand implement such a policy? I doubt it very much. Not only does it not fit in with Thai 'culture' (or that of the First World) but where would you get the supervisors to control it? Thailand boasts of corrupt policemen, corrupt prison warders and not a few of the monks are a bit dodgy so all of this is just whistling into the wind. The chaos will continue as will all the other ills of a sick society. Maybe Buddha will take care?

HMS Ganges?

I'm in that middle aged category so didn't have to do any of the above, so it may be "easy for me to say this" but I think a return to the above would be appropriate for modern day Britain...let alone Thailand.

Re this situation, lots of schools fight each other but it's mainly done without weapons and ends up being as much about bravado as actual physical fighting. Someone touched on the sports aspect previously - why not have this as the outlet, with competition between schools? That pretty much worked in my day and in adult life you end up being mates with some of those you used to kick the crap out of...and those who used to kick the crap out of you!

:w00t: :w00t:

Thailand have a police force :whistling::lol:

These tech guys will never stop fighting and its not the first time students have died , I think it is a bit harsh if the schools get closed down the police should take some blame.

Of course, Thailand has a police farce :rolleyes:

They should get rid of the school uniforms. This is the identifying trademark for targeting each other. If they want them to wear a uniform, then they can put them on after arriving on campus.

The Uniforms are nothing more than gang colors.

Good point and a fresh new idea. I like it :thumbsup:

Why aren't the PARENTS being called out? These are minors, right? The parents still have responsibility for their behaviours, too, right? It's all too easy to blame the schools but teachers can't be 24 hr police. Closing/blaming the schools simply means you lose one 'safe place' to keep the groups separated- let them all out on the streets and won't they just be able to fight all the time?

Now, one thing that the schools could do is make it clear that anyone who gets involved in any of these shenanigans gets expelled, immediately, no refunds issued, and thrown to the police to do whatever the law requires. Far too often the kids are shielded from the consequences of their actions by their schools. I think most parents would line up behind this kind of rule given these problems.

Maybe that's the idea. Let 'em all kill each other for two weeks. When school resumes all the nutters will be gone.

I have been coming here for 10 years , sometimes live 6 months . once for a year and worked here. In my opinion the future is bleak unless attitudes of those in authority change. and influence the countrys attitude.

Thailand has become hugely materialistic . large parts of the population only interested in wealth and consumer durables , electical goods , phones etc. Maybe the huge western influence has become too strong and the wealthy benefit with no regard for others and see the poorer thais gain very little. It could be dangerous and a powder keg .

When I was teaching 2 years ago the students I talked to at M5 and M6 were only interested in making money after school, you may say thats ok, but many of them didnt see educational attainment as the road to that. They would get there by whatever means they could.

Edited by KKvampire

With the realization that they are no longer cute little kids, and that they are more akin to their loser daddies and mommies, and that their lives will be fraught with uncertainties and no support from anyone, it is no wonder that these animals are coming apart at the seams and lashing out at their world with this kind of violence.

What are they; 17 and 18 or 19 years of age?

You have got to admit that these are the products of the Thai school systems and the Thai family way of life.

That's right. Everything we have read about, and re-read about, and the headlines that come and go on a daily basis; only to be ignored - and all the lip-service of all those politicians throughout the years that got a nod from idiots that believe that "well, at least something is better than nothing" and nothing was ever begun, followed through with or brought to fruition.

This is a classic case of the chickens coming home to roost, and all I can think is "Yes! Serves you right!". Pop out babies, and let grandma raise them and let males without fathers roam like feral dogs, and this is what you are going to reap. Children grow up and make their own rules when they get old enough to realize that the adults around them are losers and liars.

The statistics do not veer from the truth. These monsters have been raised by the one-eyed Mommy and Daddy, media and electronic gadgets that cater to their every carnal and emotional whim. They have grown up never having a mother or father ask them where they have been, and have had to find their own boundaries and rules from among their peers. It goes on and gets more bleak when one looks into these sub cultures of children that are going to be the next generation of voters and rule makers.

I might get drawn and quartered for this, but you can't blame the kids without digging up the reasons that they grew into these beasts.

Pathetic politicians; the inocent must suffer- lose their school, just because of the actions of a few.

To close a building, any building because of an incident no matter how bad, is unreasonable.

That is no solution, just avoiding a problem, that will move to another location.

More importantly, why punish the students that are happy and productive there?