How To Sell My Old Imac?

sangenlait

Hi,

I have an old 20' iMac bought in 2007 and everything works perfectly except the superdrive.

I want to sell it because I'm moving back to the UK soon, and I really can't be bothered to carry that.

Is there any idea about where I can sell it with a decent (or reasonable) price in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance!

Depends. Where are you located and how much are you asking for it? Post some pics and specs in classified on Thaivisa/BahtSold/BKKcraigsList. There is also a 2nd hand mac store at MBK that would buy it, but not for what you would expect. They offered me 8K for a macbook that I bought in 2008 and I decided that i'd rather use it as paper weight than give it away to them at that price just to see them sell if for 15K+.

Depends. Where are you located and how much are you asking for it? Post some pics and specs in classified on Thaivisa/BahtSold/BKKcraigsList. There is also a 2nd hand mac store at MBK that would buy it, but not for what you would expect. They offered me 8K for a macbook that I bought in 2008 and I decided that i'd rather use it as paper weight than give it away to them at that price just to see them sell if for 15K+.

That's not all that bad to get rid of a piece of equipment you're not using. Having done some buying and selling in computer equipment, I don't find the buy or sell price that outrageous. They have to check out the unit, hold it and try to sell it. You could take the time and effort to sell it for 15k or what price you think it's worth, shop around for your best sell price or just let them give you 8k and enjoy the freedom from lugging it around. Used items are based on market prices and if someone can sell it for 15k, 8k is a good buying price.

But it's just my 2 satang.

Thank you guys!

I'm in central Bangkok. And this is my first time of selling an old computer so I really haven't a clue what's the reasonable price I should sell it for.

Normally I would just keep using my computers until they're falling apart or something.

But now I just wanna get rid of it and get some cash back as the fund of getting an iPad. :rolleyes:

Plus it's been travelling with me long enough (Taiwan→UK→Taiwan→Thailand) and I don't really want to take it back to the UK again.

I thought about trying to sell it on the forum but the problem is that the superdrive is not working.

I've asked the apple shop and it's gonna cost me around 5k to get it replaced.

It works completely fine with an external DVD drive but I think the broken superdrive wouldn't help to find a buyer myself.

It cost me about 65k in 2008. Cash matters but I do want to get rid of it quickly without too much hassle.

So I think I'll try the 2nd mac store at MBK.

dtrain5000, could you let me know where about it is in MBK?

Or has anyone tried Pantip?

Thank you millions!

:jap:

That's not all that bad to get rid of a piece of equipment you're not using. Having done some buying and selling in computer equipment, I don't find the buy or sell price that outrageous. They have to check out the unit, hold it and try to sell it. You could take the time and effort to sell it for 15k or what price you think it's worth, shop around for your best sell price or just let them give you 8k and enjoy the freedom from lugging it around. Used items are based on market prices and if someone can sell it for 15k, 8k is a good buying price.

But it's just my 2 satang.

Edited by sangenlait

I always buy second hand Mac's - have quite a few - but would not hold your breath for a good payout - I usually work retail about half the original retail. That leaves wholesale by out and refurbish/or checkout prior to sale. I think you may be lucky but I would think depending on drive, speed, capacity and RAM spec you may be pushed to get more than 10k for it. But try the ThaiVisa Classifieds - they do well. You can also try Facebook Classified.

Post it on thaisecondhand.com . I sold two Macs there over the years and one very aging DSLR. In each case I got a really good price with little effort. It's all in Thai so you may need a Thai friend to help you write it up for ya. Good Luck!

The 2nd hand Mac store is on the 5th floor by the Food Hall. There isn't much on the 5th floor so if you stroll through the area where all the restaurants are on the 5th, you should find it. I would probably go and talk to them first as it would suck to lug it down there and end up not selling it and lugging it home again. BTY - what are you asking for it? Some posters themselves may be interested and PM you arrange an offer. rakmans right - the offer wasn't too bad but I just wasn't really needing to sell. They are a business and they do have overhead and a keystone markup is not unheard of. If they offer you less than 10K let me know and maybe Ill take it off your hands....