Will Thai Wife Need To Take An English Test?

Hello all.First post so bare with me.Until recently i lived in Bangkok for over 2 years with my Thai wife.I am currently back in the UK due to work,probably for about 1 year,then plan to return to the LOS.

I guess this is really a question for any Brits on this forum.I am about to apply for a 1 or 2 year family visa for my wife.Will she need to take an English test before applying for the visa,to prove that she can speak English okay? I have done the obvious and looked on the UK border agency website.This seemed to say that she will have to,but someone i spoke to about it says that she will not,as it's only a test that needs to be taken & passed if she was going to settle in the UK for good.

I can't see anywhere on their website where it specifically says that,but that would make sense.I mean if someones spouse was going to visit them for say just a 2 week hol,would they still have to take this test? Is there a time span over which if they wanted to stay longer they would need to take this test? Or as my friend says,only if they were to apply for a settlement visa to stay here permanently?

Anyway many thanks in advance to any replies that may be of help.

I don't really understand what visa you're talking about? Are you talking about this? :unsure:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/generalvisainfo/applyingforavisa#22856841

If you want a Visit Visa...no she doesn't have to take an English Test...

For all Settlement Visa's she does...All the information you need is on here:

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Indeed, visitors do not need to take an English test; only those applying for settlement as a spouse, partner or fiance.

I am about to apply for a 1 or 2 year family visa for my wife

I take that you are talking about family visit visas. In which case remember that she can only spend a maximum of 6 months in the UK in one visit and, in most circumstances, a maximum of 6 months out of 12 in the UK.

Thanks for both replies. - 7by7,thanks for that info,but is that right about only being allowed a maximum stay of 6 months? Sorry i'm sure you are a lot more knowledgable about this than me,but on the UK border agency website why when applying for a family visit visa do they give you the option of applying for a 6 month,1 year,2 year,5 year or 10 year visa?Sorry i tried to just put a link on that shows the application form giving those options,but as i've only been a member a few hours i was not allowed to- Thanks again.

If you want your wife to be with you for the whole time you are back in the UK you could consider the extended student visitor visa, allowing her to be in the UK for up to 11 months. She will of course have to study, but this is another option to consider. And the period of study could be beneficial depending on future plans.