Did You Ever Visit Pattaya

WinnieTheKhwai

Visiting Pattaya  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am surprised at the number of people who say they haven't been and never will go.

I'm not going to bleat on about the amount of countries I've been to, but wherever I've been, both the famous and infamous places within those countries intrigue me. I'd feel cheated being so close and not at least having a look, even for just one day.

I avoided the place totally before I moved to Thailand and had a foreign friend that moved there the same time I moved to HuaHin. If it hadn't been for that friend I probably never would have gone .. and wouldn't have missed it.

It's fun enough for a lark but truly loses its shine fast once you have a fairly decent understanding of Thailand.

I avoided the place totally before I moved to Thailand and had a foreign friend that moved there the same time I moved to HuaHin. If it hadn't been for that friend I probably never would have gone .. and wouldn't have missed it.

It's fun enough for a lark but truly loses its shine fast once you have a fairly decent understanding of Thailand.

Too true, but I think it's a place people should at least see once, if they are in the country.

Edited by uptheos

Too true, but I think it's a place people should at least see once, if they are in the country.

I have a fairly decent understanding of Thailand, but it's also in places like Pattaya where I extend this understanding. It's probably the one place inside thailand that's the most unlike 'Thailand', and yet you learn so much there, about Thai people and people in general.

I'd go there for boys night out. Other than that... sh•thole...

Admittedly I've been there only once and with wife but nothing about the place made me think hey I'd really like to come here again. Alone or in company. I think it would be fun for a night, but that's pretty much it. As for the attractions other than what it's famous for - I guess I didn't see them. So there's restaurants.. just like pretty much anywhere else in Thailand... western foods... just like in any other tourist destination... a crappy beach... allright. anyway, I'd much rather go to Samui or Phuket, Ko Chang or even the rather boring Hua Hin...

Edited by nikster

I am surprised at the number of people who say they haven't been and never will go.

I'm not going to bleat on about the amount of countries I've been to, but wherever I've been, both the famous and infamous places within those countries intrigue me. I'd feel cheated being so close and not at least having a look, even for just one day.

Couldn't agree more. Also on a single visit (especially a family visit) it's all too easy to end up in the wrong places. With some very minor research that can easily be avoided.

I didn't visit Pattaya due to all the bad rap for perhaps 5 years or so.. Then when I finally visited I realized the incredible attraction to those living in (other places in) Thailand, specifically that it's (superficially) so different from almost everywhere else in Thailand. It's like going abroad while remaining in Thailand. But then only later you realize that Pattaya is more 'Thai' than it initially seems, and also that there is more of 'Pattaya' everywhere else.

I have lived here for 27 years, and I have never visited Pattaya. EVERYTHING I have heard tells me it is a shit-hole and very unThai. That is plenty for me, so I will enjoy my time in Chiang Mai :)

I visited Pattaya twice before. Once when I first moved to Thailand and again last year. That's about 5 year gap in between. I think it is more interesting as a single man in the tourist mode but once you have lived in Thailand for a while and go back it doesn't seem as spectacular. There is definitely more to Thailand that places like Pattaya.

There are some great places along the beach to eat some excellent seafood at night though and I suppose if you golf it's a good place to go. (from what I hear)

However, Chiang Mai probably is the best place to live in Thailand.

I have lived here for 27 years, and I have never visited Pattaya. EVERYTHING I have heard tells me it is a shit-hole and very unThai. That is plenty for me, so I will enjoy my time in Chiang Mai :)

Did you come straight to Chiang Mai?

Never even had a peep 27 years ago?

I have been visiting Pattaya infrequently since 1987 - Jomtien beach was "outside" Pattaya then development since then has been of course enormous and has brought with it it's problems.

If one wants an exciting few days Pattaya is the place to go - and one can even take his mother there as I did a few years back!

There are plenty of interesting tourist attractions in and around Pattaya to fill a few days but if one wants a decent beach one has to travel to one of the surrounding Islands of course - as Pattaya beach and Jomtien are finished - the water quality is appalling.

One thing I always notice though with the enormous quantity of restaurants and international food offerings it is quite difficult for a visitor to find really good Thai food in Pattaya - I am sure there are good places if one knows where to go - (and I am not talking about these touristy seafood places) - even friends who live there have difficulties to point us to a Thai place which they could "wholeheartedly" recommend. When they visit Chiang Mai and we take them to our favorite Thai restaurants here they are always delighted with the food.

Prices in Pattaya are moderate compared to Phuket and hotels / restaurants cater to every budget. Nightlife is exciting if one wants to participate. As I said nice and exciting for a few days (who would not be flattered hearing young beautiful people shouting at you from across the street "hello sexy man - sit down - have a look first!" - one wonders who the "sexy thing" is one has missed himself when looking into the mirror that morning?) - but I could not live there the place is just to much - I enjoy a few days visiting Pattaya but I am glad every time I arrive back here in Chiang Mai after a visit.

Edited by Cnxforever

Did you come straight to Chiang Mai? Never even had a peep 27 years ago?

I didn't either; straight to Chiang Mai. Then only 5 years later and having visited all regions in Thailand I finally got around to Pattaya. And found it remarkably friendly, with an interesting vibe.

If one wants an exciting few days Pattaya is the place to go - and one can even take his mother there as I did a few years back!

Yes me too. And sister, wife, kids.

There are plenty of interesting tourist attractions in and around Pattaya to fill a few days but if one wants a decent beach one has to travel to one of the surrounding Islands of course - as Pattaya beach and Jomtien are finished - the water quality is appalling.

There are some beaches further south that are good too. Also some inside the naval base. You just leave some ID and you can enter.

One thing I always notice though with the enormous quantity of restaurants and international food offerings it is quite difficult for a visitor to find really good Thai food in Pattaya - I am sure there are good places if one knows where to go - (and I am not talking about these touristy seafood places) - even friends who live there have difficulties to point us to a Thai place which they could "wholeheartedly" recommend.

Also agreed.. From that point of view it was very sad to see Vientiane restaurant go, and be replaced with the D2 hotel. Thai food in restaurants is definitely more pricey than Chiang Mai. When I'm by myself this isn't much of an issue because of all the excellent street vendors; when you're at a bar you can easily get some of the staff to go source some Thai food. (and share). Cheap as chips. No wait, cheaper. But when with the family you do often need a proper restaurant. There are some very good ones on Third Road though. Again this is a case of doing some research; you're not going to find these places walking around beach road.

The only good thing about Pattaya is when I leave it - last time I went I was supposed to stay a few days but left the next day - it's soooooo depressing.

You were so depressed after one day, so decided to leave?

Leaving aside the obvious wink.gif, you don't think you could have found something interesting to do or places to see for a few days?

Did you leave your hotel room?

The only good thing about Pattaya is when I leave it - last time I went I was supposed to stay a few days but left the next day - it's soooooo depressing.

Yea it was kind of depressing to me when I had to leave my banana split on the bar on Soi 6.:lol:

I think he stuck a pin in a map of Thailand and the pin chose CM. :D

Very clever pin, wouldn't mind the number :lol:

I don't think that he meant eunuchs in the literal sense.

I'm pretty sure that he was suggesting that the gentlemen in question suffer from physical or psychological problems that keep them from obtaining and maintaining a healthy erection.

The genuine eunuchs that have retired from working in Pattaya and moved to Chiang Mai are very unlikely to post on Thai Visa. :D

I think he stuck a pin in a map of Thailand and the pin chose CM. :D

Very clever pin, wouldn't mind the number :lol:

I agree and Chiang Mai is a good place to be thumbsup.gif

Pattaya was the first place in Thailand I came to, more years ago than I care to recall. There wasn't the wealth of information technology available that there is now and although I had been told many stories by others who had been to Thailand, I had no real idea what to expect. To say I was gobsmacked on my first venture onto the streets and into the bars is an understatement. I was there for two weeks only and had one of the best times of my life - looking back it's an experience that I'm glad I never missed. Several years later when I moved to Thailand from UK I traveled around a lot and like many others I fell for Chiang Mai, so this is where I stayed. I did go back to Pattaya, but it wasn't the experience I'd had on holiday and I noticed the change. Nowadays, I still go there when friends visit and make a point of enjoying myself (otherwise why go) together with my friends, otherwise I don't visit. I will never forget that first visit and I'm certainly glad I went......not to have gone would have deprived me of seeing somewhere I had only imagined and a lot of great memories that hopefully I'll never forget! smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

You were so depressed after one day, so decided to leave?

Leaving aside the obvious wink.gif, you don't think you could have found something interesting to do or places to see for a few days?

Did you leave your hotel room?

well... to be fair I told only half the story... I left out that it was my third or fourth visit and I didn't particularly enjoy those other occasions and a friend invited me to go down again and I walked along walking street and all the screaming hard nosed girls making a living and yes, I found it depressing. I believe there are few people who have experienced Thailand over a few years who would choose to stay there - it's more of a tourist 'get laid' trap.

up to you! if people like good luck to them - but give me the choice between a long legged Northern Lanna girl and some over lipsticked well used little girl turning tricks every night and I know what I'd choose - and do choose! they have a certain 'hardness' down there and a cynicism (which is probably warranted to be fair) that doesn't really gel with me - more for the drunken tourist, bottle of Singha in hand out on a 'bender'.