Casings (Sausage Skins),

Boyce

Hello Boyce, go to any country market that sells fresh pork.

Show them this picture. see below!

With your thumb and index finger show the dia. you want.

With your arms spread wide apart, tell them how many Met

you want 'or' how many Kg you want.

Old price around here was B.125 Kg., or buy frozen at Makro.

Using your fingers/arms to show either size, length or weight,

you cam make your purchase without speaking any Thai.

rice555

ps,the sausage funnels come in 2-3 sizes, around B.50.

post-37242-0-29255600-1298181608_thumb.j

Boyce, i seem to remeber that you posted before about skins ect, cant get in Issan? just go to your local village food market, ask the vendor where they get skins for sausage, we pay 300bht a kilo for salted intestine skin,

I really dont think there are different sized skins for size of sausage, as the meat mix is pushed in, you decide what size you want, as i mentioned before, cut the top off a water bottle, use that as a funnel for the mix, push it down the skin,

Yes, we live in Issan, and skins no problem..

Cheers, Lickey.

Hi folks,

i'm a qualified Butcher by trade 32 years in the trade, i'm used to electirc fillers pumping out 70 Lbs of sausage meat at one time, there are different sizes in sausage on for small one for large swags, but all i have seen upto now is the one's at Makro in Pattaya,

the skins we used in the old days were on hanks in salt as thaigerd says there the one's i'm looking to buy.

thaigerd i think you are Bunterfoods of Bangkok , i have sent emails to you regarding trade prices but never had a reply.

Edited by Boyce

Hi folks,

i'm a qualified Butcher by trade 32 years in the trade, i'm used to electirc fillers pumping out 70 Lbs of sausage meat at one time, there are different sizes in sausage on for small one for large swags, but all i have seen upto now is the one's at Makro in Pattaya,

the skins we used in the old days were on hanks in salt as thaigerd says there the one's i'm looking to buy.

thaigerd i think you are Bunterfoods of Bangkok , i have sent emails to you regarding trade prices but never had a reply.

Sorry, but absolutely not from Bunterfoods.

I am a former Chef and work for one of the biggest food suppliers in Phuket.

Still love to cook and butchering my own stuff.

Gerd

Hello Boyce, I bought the one from the picture in the big market downtown Korat at a stall

that sold knifes, tableware and other kitchen type tools.

It should be the same in any of the large country market.

rice555

Thanks again i'll look out for them.

Hi folks,

Sorry, but absolutely not from Bunterfoods.

I am a former Chef and work for one of the biggest food suppliers in Phuket.

Still love to cook and butchering my own stuff.

Gerd

Sorry Gerd my mistake please except my opologies.:jap:

• 3 weeks later...

Soidogs,

We buy ours cleaned, salted and ready to go, i put the skin over the water filter pressure outlet just to make sure, and wash them in drinking water, with the homemade plastic funnel, i make the sausages exactly what size i want, just by squeezing the meat down the skin, whether its chipolatas or a big link, no problem..

Good luck..

Sadly the local sausage skins here don't come graded at all. The bags you get at Macro are just mixed and are generally very bad quality and haven't been cleaned very well, but they do work alright for larger sausages, although are a nightmare to untangle and a lot are full of holes. I wouldn't recommend using them for chipolatas though as you really need the correct size skin, but as a butcher of 32 years I'm not going to insult you and start telling you how to make sausages.

You can get good quality imported skins (Aus and US) from Royal Exquisite Food. They have the full range from 18/20's upto 32/34. As Thaigerd said they come in hanks (a hank is 100 yards) and they're tubed too.

Sadly the local sausage skins here don't come graded at all. The bags you get at Macro are just mixed and are generally very bad quality and haven't been cleaned very well, but they do work alright for larger sausages, although are a nightmare to untangle and a lot are full of holes. I wouldn't recommend using them for chipolatas though as you really need the correct size skin, but as a butcher :jap: of 32 years I'm not going to insult you and start telling you how to make sausages.

You can get good quality imported skins (Aus and US) from Royal Exquisite Food.

. They have the full range from 18/20's upto 32/34. As Thaigerd said they come in hanks (a hank is 100 yards) and they're tubed too.

Thanks that's perfect as i like the tube one's better than Makro's.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have found a place in Phuket that does various casings for sausage. Fresh salted and dried casings, but looking for black pudding plastic cases on a roll.

Any body know ?

I think Royal Exqusite supply Phuket. They sell black pudding plastic casing.

Sadly the local sausage skins here don't come graded at all. The bags you get at Macro are just mixed and are generally very bad quality and haven't been cleaned very well, but they do work alright for larger sausages, although are a nightmare to untangle and a lot are full of holes. I wouldn't recommend using them for chipolatas though as you really need the correct size skin, but as a butcher of 32 years I'm not going to insult you and start telling you how to make sausages.

You can get good quality imported skins (Aus and US) from Royal Exquisite Food. They have the full range from 18/20's upto 32/34. As Thaigerd said they come in hanks (a hank is 100 yards) and they're tubed too.

I went to their website and while they have lots of products listed, I couldn't find sausage casings. Do you go to their store to order them?

I went to their website and while they have lots of products listed, I couldn't find sausage casings. Do you go to their store to order them?

Makro.

No there in one of the freezers near the milk and cheese section , in bags there about 300Baht a bag.

Edited by Boyce

I'm guessing you're talking about the Royal Exquisite website not the Makro site.

You probably need to email them and get their latest butchers pricelist, they have it on a PDF document, none of these items are on their website. Although they stopped selling fresh skins about a year ago, only the collogen skins now. They told me they had issues importing them so stopped. If you're in Pattaya then go to their office and chat, they're very friendly and the woman who works in the office speaks perfect English. They are however a little unrealiable at emails, so face to face is better.

Edited by theseahorse

I'm guessing you're talking about the Royal Exquisite website not the Makro site.

You probably need to email them and get their latest butchers pricelist, they have it on a PDF document, none of these items are on their website. Although they stopped selling fresh skins about a year ago, only the collogen skins now. They told me they had issues importing them so stopped. If you're in Pattaya then go to their office and chat, they're very friendly and the woman who works in the office speaks perfect English. They are however a little unrealiable at emails, so face to face is better.

Do they have a website i can't find it on google.

The Pattaya office is the one that will return your call, I tried to communicate with the Bangkok office and never received a reply. Royal Esquisite Foods has 4 or 5 outlets, in Thailand- Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya and on one of the islands.

I purchased from them online, I called the Pattaya office placed my order and it is shipped to me, I believed that I paid for the shipping, which is not expensive, when I received the order I go to my bank and wire the payment to the Pattaya office.

Always received great service from the Pattaya office. The phone numbers of the various offices are on their PDF.

Good Luck!

Cheers:smile.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to pattaya next week , do Royal Exquisite Food still sell sausage skins any idea on price.

Thanks

Boyce

I found this site last week which looks interesting and it may be worth several of us getting together to place an order, what do you think?

http://www.naturalsausageskins.co.uk/shop.htm

I emailed them and got this reply

Hi

It is no problem to post to Thailand. The rate for outside Europe is £15.

It will come up in your shopping basket on line.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Rachel

Boyce - Aren't you based in Korat? I keep seeing stuff about Korat Chef and his sausages, all good butchers should sell a customer some casings so they can make their own - have you asked him?

If he won't help, PM me and I'll sort you out with some, I'm in BK though so Korat Chef may be a better option.