British Coroner Queries Chiang Mai Death Plunge

webfact

British Coroner queries Chiang Mai death plunge

ANDREW DRUMMOND

An English coroner has expressed dissatisfaction with a Thai police report on the death of 40-yr-old Yorkshireman Edward Fairburn who fell from the Centara Group’s Duangtawan Hotel in Chiang Mail last year.

Halifax Coroner Roger Whittaker said: “I have grave concerns over the lack of information I have particularly in relation to how Mr Fairburn came by his death.

“It seems the Thai police have reached the conclusion that there were no suspicious circumstances but they have not provided any information on why they took that view.”

Mr Whittaker said he had asked the Foreign & Commonwealth office to ‘delve further’ into the case. An inquest due to resume this week is likely to be adjourned for the report. [more...]

Full story: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2011/02/20/4623/

-- ANDREW-DRUMMOND.COM 2011-02-22

footer_n.gif

British coroner.................Is this another typical never mind --note that- it should satisfy, these people should be qualified to conclude -a behond doubt verdict, are Thai police in general qualified enough to get a said report done honestly. It will be interesting to know the followup by the F.C.O. and it's report.

British coroner.................Is this another typical never mind --note that- it should satisfy, these people should be qualified to conclude -a behond doubt verdict, are Thai police in general qualified enough to get a said report done honestly. It will be interesting to know the followup by the F.C.O. and it's report.

You dont mean that:Thai police in general qualified enough to get a said report done honestly.

Highly corrupt force and incapable of doing even very basic tasks! Widespread lawlessness in Thailand! Police is involved in a lot of illegal activities, such as drugs and so on. This is widely known by Thai citizens and foreigners.

Widespread lawlessness in Thailand!

It's not Somalia you know?

Highly corrupt force and incapable of doing even very basic tasks! Widespread lawlessness in Thailand! Police is involved in a lot of illegal activities, such as drugs and so on. This is widely known by Thai citizens and foreigners.

Well at least it's widely known on ThaiVisa where all the highly qualified investigative fact-finding barflies tend to congregate to exchange all their widely known "facts."

Why is it, one wonders, that so many fugitive Brits (and Germans and Americans, et al) manage to escape the clutches of the highly efficient Farang-police forces and find their way to Thailand where Thai police end up having to catch and repatriate these upstanding individuals? Thai Airways must have a standing block of seats reserved on their flights to Farangatopia just to accommodate the deported felons and sexual miscreants "holidaying" in Thailand.

It looks like post-mortems in UK aren't all that great either. Maybe Roger Whittaker [great singer, incidentally] should look closer to home to point a finger:

Quarter of coroner post-mortems 'unsatisfactory'

A quarter of post-mortem examinations performed on the request of a coroner are poor or unacceptable, according to a report out today.

The National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death (NCEPOD), which carried out the study, found that 26% were unacceptable, 52% were satisfactory and just 23% were good or excellent.

It also found that the cause of death registered by pathologists was "questionable" in about a fifth of all cases.

The NCEPOD operates under the umbrella of the National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA), but is a confidential, independent enquiry.

In one third of mortuaries, the pathologist did not always inspect the exterior of the body before it was opened up and the organs removed, the report said.

It also found evidence that elderly patients were not examined as closely as younger patients [wonder why??] and that some autopsies were speeded up.

Edited by Suradit

The amount of times that we joke about suicides from balconies in Pattaya and a case like this surfaces!!Other cases down in Hua Hin for example ...and you hear nothing further about them basically as soon as the Thai police release their findings!!F...ing scary sometimes and you know nothing will come of anything!!

We know.

Thailand claims to have law and order, they claim to have a police force. They claim to have a judicary that is fair and reasonable. They don't admit to lawlessness within their police forces and not to corruption with their governing systems.

Somalia on the other hand is a totally dysfunctional state that has no government or law and order.

The amount of times that we joke about suicides from balconies in Pattaya and a case like this surfaces!!Other cases down in Hua Hin for example ...and you hear nothing further about them basically as soon as the Thai police release their findings!!F...ing scary sometimes and you know nothing will come of anything!!

Whats to report , falang coming to the end of their money cant face going home to the real world . one or 2 months of heavy drinking severe depression setting in , beginning to realise that the girls who are stunningly beautiful and half the mans age do not actually find the man attractive or want to listen avidly to his moronic banter ...you butterfly me same same but different ha bloody ha . The man gets back to his room alone ( because he's skint ) drunk the last of his money and jumps off balcony case closed lol. my point is i think that suicide is a lot more common than murder and suicide happens all the time and is not actually that big news to anyone other than close friends and relatives of the deceased. Also thais are commiting suicide probably just as frequently as falangs but you dont read about that every time you pick up a paper (foreign language or Thai).

You dont mean that:Thai police in general qualified enough to get a said report done honestly.

Correct,

It seems as if the coroner in question doesn't have anything he would like explained.

Take the example someone used above of a poor soul who just couldn't face a return to the UK, If there were no witnesses coming forward and no massive ante-mortem bruising evident, and the body was within the typical distance of the building that jumpers normally fall in ... what more would the police be able to say?

Would "we talked to the neighbors and the man has been reclusive recently" make the coroner feel any better? This one really seems like a non-event story to me, unless there is a back story I don't know.

Well at least it's widely known on ThaiVisa where all the highly qualified investigative fact-finding barflies tend to congregate to exchange all their widely known "facts."

Why is it, one wonders, that so many fugitive Brits (and Germans and Americans, et al) manage to escape the clutches of the highly efficient Farang-police forces and find their way to Thailand where Thai police end up having to catch and repatriate these upstanding individuals? Thai Airways must have a standing block of seats reserved on their flights to Farangatopia just to accommodate the deported felons and sexual miscreants "holidaying" in Thailand.

It looks like post-mortems in UK aren't all that great either. Maybe Roger Whittaker [great singer, incidentally] should look closer to home to point a finger:

A quarter of post-mortem examinations performed on the request of a coroner are poor or unacceptable, according to a report out today.

The National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death (NCEPOD), which carried out the study, found that 26% were unacceptable, 52% were satisfactory and just 23% were good or excellent.

It also found that the cause of death registered by pathologists was "questionable" in about a fifth of all cases.

The NCEPOD operates under the umbrella of the National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA), but is a confidential, independent enquiry.

In one third of mortuaries, the pathologist did not always inspect the exterior of the body before it was opened up and the organs removed, the report said.

It also found evidence that elderly patients were not examined as closely as younger patients [wonder why??] and that some autopsies were speeded up.

Thank you for posting. An honest answer and insight. Beats as you said " Well at least it's widely known on ThaiVisa where all the highly qualified investigative fact-finding barflies tend to congregate to exchange all their widely known "facts.""

Keep up the good work

Thai Police like the rest of us, hate the Thai paperwork. No suspicious circumstances - man died, end of story! Nothing will bring him back and he was Farang. No need for further investigation...

Next ...

So if he was Thai you think they would investigate ?

We know.

Thailand claims to have law and order, they claim to have a police force. They claim to have a judicary that is fair and reasonable. They don't admit to lawlessness within their police forces and not to corruption with their governing systems.

Somalia on the other hand is a totally dysfunctional state that has no government or law and order.

So, your're saying Somalia doesn't have uniforms?

Whats to report , falang coming to the end of their money cant face going home to the real world . one or 2 months of heavy drinking severe depression setting in , beginning to realise that the girls who are stunningly beautiful and half the mans age do not actually find the man attractive or want to listen avidly to his moronic banter ...you butterfly me same same but different ha bloody ha . The man gets back to his room alone ( because he's skint ) drunk the last of his money and jumps off balcony case closed lol. my point is i think that suicide is a lot more common than murder and suicide happens all the time and is not actually that big news to anyone other than close friends and relatives of the deceased. Also thais are commiting suicide probably just as frequently as falangs but you dont read about that every time you pick up a paper (foreign language or Thai).

A very puzzling response - murders outnumber suicides in all countries, usually by 100 to 1 or more.

Definitely a fiction created to justify Thai police ineptitude.

A very puzzling response - murders outnumber suicides in all countries, usually by 100 to 1 or more.

Definitely a fiction created to justify Thai police ineptitude.

Please cite ANY source that states murders outnumber suicides (and particularly by 100:1 or more.

Indeed, it is more catchy to watch the deaths committed by a suicidal terrorist or the crime of a psychopath, while ignoring your neighbor who threw himself from the 9th floor. Anyway, he was old/depressed/alcoholic. But an expert has signaled that, annually, more people commit suicide than are killed in wars,

terrorist attacks and homicides. "There are more than one million people who die by suicide each year in the world, which is more people than those who die from war, terrorist attacks and homicides every year. So more people kill themselves than are killed by other people," said Brian Mishara, the president of the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) and a University of Quebec psychology professor.

source

http://news.softpedia.com/news/More-People-Commit-Suicide-than-Being-Killed-80650.shtml

Very strange post dighambara, murder out numbering suicide by 100 :1 ??? not even close . maybe if you lived in soweto it might be near even . I know of at least 10 people who have killed themselves but only 0ne who was murdered, perhaps you move in dodgy circles :whistling:

Edited by malcy

Well said. But it's unlikely the Punch cartoon barflies will notice as they share another round of mordant insights, and burp their affections for all things Thai into one another's gin-flowered profiles.

Very strange post dighambara, murder out numbering suicide by 100 :1 ??? not even close . maybe if you lived in soweto it might be near even . I know of at least 10 people who have killed themselves but only 0ne who was murdered, perhaps you move in dodgy circles :whistling:

Or perhaps it has something to do with being your friend...:whistling:

Whats to report , falang coming to the end of their money cant face going home to the real world . one or 2 months of heavy drinking severe depression setting in , beginning to realise that the girls who are stunningly beautiful and half the mans age do not actually find the man attractive or want to listen avidly to his moronic banter ...you butterfly me same same but different ha bloody ha . The man gets back to his room alone ( because he's skint ) drunk the last of his money and jumps off balcony case closed lol. my point is i think that suicide is a lot more common than murder and suicide happens all the time and is not actually that big news to anyone other than close friends and relatives of the deceased. Also thais are commiting suicide probably just as frequently as falangs but you dont read about that every time you pick up a paper (foreign language or Thai)

To address the above statement

The gentleman was 40 and in great physical condition even playing in league football.In the report it was stated that he was seen smoking on the 12th floor but jumped off the 24th. What measurements were taken because a simple engineer can tell you how far from the building one would fall. (This you can replicate from each floor) Its a sealed window building that looks relatively new yet where is the video footage? He had money. Witnesses not interviewed. This does not happen all the time! People who sit idly by and think this is the Thai way are full of it. Its pretty amazing isn't it! There are good people here just far and in between so you must be very careful! Find a good attorney and let them place a reward with the police and see what happens. One hundred thousand baht usually starts the wheels of justice moving forward. My condolences to the familysad.gif

From:<BR><BR>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate<BR><BR>UK 9.2 <BR>Thailand 7.8 <BR><BR>and<BR><BR>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate <BR><BR>UK 1.28 <BR>Thailand 5.9 <BR><BR>all per 100,000. <BR><BR>The figures are nowhere near 1:100 as previously quoted. Another piece of b**ls**t from an uninformed and too lazy to look it up user here who actually had the nerve to say somebody else was posting fiction. You know who you are..

What is it with this crazy editor...first post was formatted nicely...after first edit it ignored my line breaks...one second edit it changes them all to html code but ignores that.......I give in...

Edited by KKK

I live in Chiang Mai. I was actually on the scene within 2 minutes of the crash landing. In fact, I heard it from across the road.

I was walking my boy in the stroller when I heard the 'smack'.

I am not a great supporter of Thai police, .... but in this instance - they were there fast (within minutes).... and doing their job... I suppose as best as they can.

No one will ever know if he did the jump... or if he was thrown off. How can Thai police determine that?

I live in Chiang Mai. I was actually on the scene within 2 minutes of the crash landing. In fact, I heard it from across the road.

I am not a great supporter of Thai police, .... but in this instance - they were there fast (within minutes).... and doing their job... I suppose as best as they can.

No one will ever know if he did the jump... or if he was thrown off. How can Thai police determine that?

By proper investigation by well trained and qualified well paid police. 5555555555

Almost impossible unless they have neighbours who can testify to something (noise, arguments etc) coming from the room prior to the 'jump', and/or they find a suicide note (12-20% of suicides leave a note.)

Jumping is an uncommon method of suicide. Therefore a thorough investigation should be made prior to announcing it as suicide. I don't know / can't find the figures but to me it would seem more likely to be homicide or accidental death rather than suicide.

By proper investigation by well trained and qualified well paid police. 5555555555

What .... you think that there are Sherlock Holmes investigators here? You think that there are well trained and well paid police here?

Get real buddie!

But with regard to the local police, WE ARE in bloody Somalia, even here within the friendly, polite society of Chiang Mai!!!...

Have you ever had any dealings with the police here?

I have, I've been set up by them, swindled by them, lied to by them, extorted from by them & I've had genuine crimes commited against me which have been ignored... And I don't care how loudly I broadcast it!

They are the Mafia here... They are the biggest gang in town & it wouldn't come as any surprise to find out that a policeman might have been throwing people off a balcony for a price.

This country would be one of the greatest place on earth without this cynical filth they call a police force spreading it rancid, repugnant disease all over this country.

Have you started to the picture now mate?;)

GOD BLESS THE BIB!!!!

But with regard to the local police, WE ARE in bloody Somalia, even here within the friendly, polite society of Chiang Mai!!!...

Have you ever had any dealings with the police here?

I have, I've been set up by them, swindled by them, lied to by them, extorted from by them & I've had genuine crimes commited against me which have been ignored... And I don't care how loudly I broadcast it!

They are the Mafia here... They are the biggest gang in town & it wouldn't come as any surprise to find out that a policeman might have been throwing people off a balcony for a price.

This country would be one of the greatest place on earth without this cynical filth they call a police force spreading it rancid, repugnant disease all over this country.

Have you started to the picture now mate?;)

GOD BLESS THE BIB!!!!

Yep, ...- you are spot on. I have witnessed the 'gang' in action first hand many times and have been on the receiving end numerous times, - because they need to be paid.

The Thai police force is an opportunity to earn big money.

I know many police officers who own big houses and others who are in the process of building. How can that be.... on a salary of under 10,000 baht a month?

There is so much more I could say .... including names.... but that would be my demise. But, what you say is absolutely 100% correct.