Internet Cafe

KRS1

Would netbooks be sufficient in operating an internet shop? They'd be hooked up to bigger monitors and keyboards.

The shop would mainly service tourist and not locals who would play online games requiring more powerful machines.

I have an acer laptop that never gets hot, so am considering the acer aspire one line of netbooks.

I don't think anyone would care, as long as it worked :)

They walk in, see the monitor and the keyboard, and off they go.

Good point about the photo's, if you're aiming at tourists they will most likely want to upload some photo's. A card reader or something that would make that easy might be a good idea? :)

All the best with it, hope it goes well.

I'm not sure that I understand the set-up here. Do you want to have your own laptops, connected to external monitors with an external keyboard? If so then a tower would seem to be the better option. Components, even low power / high efficiency ones are cheaper & easier to maintain / swap out, with additional cooling an easy option. I fail to see any advantage in using laptops in this manner, or am I missing something?<_<

Netbooks/notebooks are part of the exit strategy in case things don't work out.

I may just move up to 15" widescreen laptops instead and forget about the extra monitors.

I can get an Acer 5551 with amd dual core 2.1 ghz for around $550 USD. Anyone know whats available for around 10k-12k baht in a 15" screen?

So you're looking at making a quick getaway?:lol:

Seriously, is the resale value of laptops greater than desktops?<_<

If you're targeting the ex-pat on-line gaming community, who are more likely to be playing CoD than WoW, then I suggest investing in some 24" Dell monitors, along with GCs able to handle the high resolution & fancy effects such as HDR. You'll also need a reliable dedicated line to handle that fat bandwidth.:blink:

In my opinion I'd leave the money where it is or use it for something thats gonna work, yet another Internet cafe from a ferang is very doubtful and only likely to end in tears ................

but hey, what do I know, good luck anyway.

So you're looking at making a quick getaway?:lol:

Seriously, is the resale value of laptops greater than desktops?<_<

Yes, they sell much easier than desktops and retain value far better.

Plus if i need to relocate its as easy as making 2 runs with notebooks stuffed in a couple of duffel bags.

I fail to see the point of this thread. Seems like the OP has his plan already well defined, so why the question? Whether it succeeds or not? That's another question.

My personal opinion. I suspect not. Sounds like to me the OP is going down this route because of a limited budget. Has the OP really researched the market and all the issues? I doubt it.

Anyone with a crystal ball or a device that accurately predicts the the future? It's easy to post a stupid question on a forum.

Sounds to me like yet another novice farang try to eek out a living in Thailand, where work by foreigners is severely frowned upon. Anyone with experience wouldn't be asking such a dumb question.

Good Luck in your venture. You're going to need it.

Then again, this is probably another one of the many trolls on the forums.

I'm sure that BB1950 is just trying to open your eyes to reality.

For my thinking I can't see what you hope to save in money by having netbooks on the table, hooked up to large monitors and separate keyboards. If you have done the sums, perhaps you can advise.

A desktop can better survive any serious knocks, can't have coffee spilled into it, is easier to work on and can be placed on the floor if you need more desk space.

I too have my doubts that you can find a niche in the already over supplied internet cafe market, but good luck anyway.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

flame removed

You are correct on that I don't know you and you don't know me, However your deduction that I am prick is absolutely incorrect. Anybody who knows me, knows that I am not a prick. Indeed far form it. Mighty Mouse is absolutely correct. I was trying to open your eyes up to reality.

I have a Thai/Chinese friend who ones and runs an Internet Cafe for the past 10 years. I often volunteer my time in assisting her with problems Spending a lot of time there and assisting customers when she's busy with another customer.

One time she had a problem with a destktop (the motherboard failed). She connected the monitor and keyboard of the failed desktop to her personal laptop which was far better than most of the netbooks sold on the market today. It was far from successful. None of the customers wanted to use it for various reasons.They prefered the desktops and would wait for one to become available if they were in use, rather than use the laptop (maybe itr's a physiological thing).

An Internet Cafe is a service oriented business. Which means you need to satisfy the needs of the customer to survive. It is extremely competitive. I can tell you from experience that you will find that farang customers are extremely demanding (all nationalities). The Thais are less demanding, but for them you will need to provide a lot of assistance and be able to compose and translate emails between Thai and English (the girls need to communicate to their farang boyfriends). Many aren't computer savvy.

The most important item, is that you will need a reliable and fast internet connection. Inexpensive ADSL service is not reliable or fast enough. Preferably ou will need a dedicated leased line. Word speads like wildfire, if the internet goes down constantly or is slow the word will spread you will not get repeat or word-of mouth business (an extremely powerful promotional tool).There are several other things you will need especially if you don't want to spend all you time reloading and maintaining Windows which gets very old after a while also customes will install programs and change the configuration. Which will make that system useless for the next customer.

Because of competition, it will be difficult for you to charge more than 30 baht/hour of usage. Very little profit! You will have to make it up by providing other services to make a profit.You cannot do it just on the internet service alone.

I thought it was amusing your main argument for the use of laptops was to make a fast dash.What about tables, desks, comfortable chairs, and other creature comforts such as refrigerator and coffee maker for beverages? That would be more difficult to move than just the desktops. The list can go on. Fold-up tables and chairs won't do. The customers do want be comfortable especially if you expect them to stay more than a few minutes.

Another thing I found amusing. You mentioned you would lock up the laptops so only the power key was accessible. Did you consider the number one problem with laptops is overheating? Also did you realize that on a lot of netbooks when you close the lid, the computer goes into hibernation? This is to save the battery.

You also mentioned another reason for the use of laptops was for energy usage. What about the monitors, or the air conditioning? Did you know that on many new motherboards for desktops that there are settings for hard drive and other functions of the motherboard to sleep when the computer is not being used (just like laptops)? I hardly think there wouldn't be a noticeable energy saving of using laptops over desktops.

The list can go on and on. But hey, what do I know? You already have researched and know everything. One thing for sure, you will have to change your attitude. Be a little more understanding and willing to accept suggestions Your previous posts are far from the contrary.

Like I said before, good luck. You're going to need it.

Edited by Boo
removed flame

for an internet cafe you need to accomodate CD/DVDs, USB sticks, cards from cameras, headphones and mikes

Desktop machines are dirt cheap, especially used ones.

As far as CPU power is concerned, even older P4 will do the work, no problem - 5000 baht a pop I would think.

The screens will be the main cost driver.

flame removed

Frankly ---- it doesn't matter WHO you were responding to. The consensus is that your idea is a failure. That doesn't mean give-up. It means do more research.

A reputable VAR that offers after-sales support (on-site maintenance) should be able to equip you inexpensively. Get your machines custom built and set your place up right. In the end is should cost you less than what your OP proposes.

Hi

I'd like to give you some encouragement. We have 2 cafe's. 1 is located on the beach on Koh Chang. Until 3 years ago we had desktops in there. The mobo's would corrode and die every year or so. Since 3 years we have used first generation eeePC's with 4gb SSD's and 512MB - upgraded 1 1GB of ram. We attach external monitors and usb keyboards, and we bring in a usb DVD writer whenever someone wants to burn a disk. The screens stay shut, and we have no heat issues. Have a stripped down windows XP which runs fast enough for your average holiday maker. All are still running fine, in fact are outliving some newer desktop machines in the other shop. When the time comes, we'll upgrade to similar.

Go for it, and good luck. Cheers.

We have 2 cafe's. 1 is located on the beach on Koh Chang. Until 3 years ago we had desktops in there. The mobo's would corrode and die every year or so.

Being located on or near the beach, it shouldn't come as any surprise. All that salt in the air...

Hi

I'd like to give you some encouragement. We have 2 cafe's. 1 is located on the beach on Koh Chang. Until 3 years ago we had desktops in there. The mobo's would corrode and die every year or so. Since 3 years we have used first generation eeePC's with 4gb SSD's and 512MB - upgraded 1 1GB of ram. We attach external monitors and usb keyboards, and we bring in a usb DVD writer whenever someone wants to burn a disk. The screens stay shut, and we have no heat issues. Have a stripped down windows XP which runs fast enough for your average holiday maker. All are still running fine, in fact are outliving some newer desktop machines in the other shop. When the time comes, we'll upgrade to similar.

Go for it, and good luck. Cheers.

Thank you for your kind advice, it will be taken with great gratitude.

If you have an external keyboard and monitor it might work. I have 3 computers, a Mac, a Toshiba full size laptop and an Asus EeePC. I cannot type fast on the little netbook, my hands are just too big! I would skip the little netbooks and go for a cheap full size computer.

Just an opinion.

Edited by karazyal