Uk Visit Visa Paper Work.

Quick question on how I should put together all my documents..

Do I need to photocopy everything ?

Do they keep the originals and translations while they are processing the application and then return them or do they just check the and take photocopies?

Cheers for any help , I am under a mountain of paper work!!!!!

From How to apply

Original documents & photocopies

You must provide original documents with a photocopy of each original document you are submitting (including your passport photograph page). In particular, you should include original documents relating to birth, marriage, divorce and death. If you are not able to include originals of these then you should send certified copies. Failure to submit original documents or certified copies may mean your application is delayed or refused. Your original documents might not be returned to you if you do not provide photocopies. For your convenience photocopying services are available at the visa application centre (fee payable). Please see the 'Additional Services' page on this website for more information.

They will keep all the documents submitted until a decision is made when the originals will be returned along with the applicant's passport; they keep the photocopies on file.

Obviously you cannot leave your passport with them, so photocopy the relevant pages and self certify the copies; e.g. "I (full name) certify that this is a true copy of British passport number ........... (signed and dated)."

Got a FAMILY VV for my wife 3 weeks ago.

If you're after a GENERAL VV the docs. might be slightly different from what I sent. But this should give you a reasonable idea.

Because of an earlier refusal, I was maybe a bit OTT with the docs. but we got the right result so all's well :) .

Here's what we sent:-

1. Letter from Sponsor/husband. Covered relationship history, sponsorship, accommodation in UK, itinerary (just said there was none), response to earlier refusal, employment history, REASONS TO RETURN – VERY IMPORTANT (family, property ownership, employment history, secure employment etc.), that we didn't want to jeopardise future apps. by overstaying)

2. Form VAF 1 B, recent photograph & supporting documents checklist.

3. Applicant's current passport. With entry/exit stamps from foreign trips, taken together, highlighted on a copy.

4. Thai ID card (copy).

5. Husband's passport (copy), inc. evidence of ability to return to Thailand. With current & previous extensions of stay highlighted, along with entry/exit stamps for trips taken with my wife

6. Applicant's bank account, 6-months activity, original + translation + copies.

7. Husband's bank accounts, 6-months activity.

8. Marriage Certificate, original + translation + copies.

9. Amphur marriage registration document, original + translation + copies.

10. Name change documents, originals + translations + copies. We had name problems at our marriage so not normally required, I'd imagine

11. Applicant's previous passport.

12. CD containing:- Had a HUGE number of photos & contact pages and didn't want to waste time & paper printing them all

a. Photographs of Wedding celebration, trips together etc. About 1000

b. E-mail headings, dialogue removed. 30 pages

c. MSN conversation date, time & participants, dialogue removed. 800 pages

13. Selection of printed photographs. 24 in all; 6 per A4 sheet, printed on home printer

14. Selection of printed pages from e-mail traffic, dialogue removed. 5 pages

15. Selection of printed pages from MSN traffic, dialogue removed. 30 pages

16. Singapore visit documents. Flight e-tickets, hotel bookings etc.

17. Hong Kong visit documents. Flight e-tickets, hotel bookings etc.

18. Letters of support & accommodation offers from family and friends, passport photo pages, driving licence etc. as applicable (copies). No floor plans or room measurements just something like "I am brother/sister/friend of applicant's husband, looking forward to seeing them, 3 bed house occupied by myself & wife". Plus something to personalise & dress-up each letter. You get the idea.

19. Teachers ID cards (copies).

20. Letters from Ministry of Education & School Director, originals + translations + copies. Gave permission for trip & confirmed ability to return to job afterwards.

21. Continuous record of schools at which employed, original + translation + copies. Covered 33 years!!!!!

22. Salary spreadsheets, 6 months, originals + translations + copies. Provided by school office with official stamp.

23. Husband's pension statements, 6-months.

24. Property ownership documents, original copies + translations + copies.

Your docs. are kept until the completion of the application and returned to you with a Yes or No, for collection at VFS, by courier to home (although that seems to be limited to Bangkok & that area) or couriered to a local(ish) collection point for you to pick-up.

I provided copies of docs. for which I wanted the original returned otherwise I said they could keep the originals if they wanted them. They kept the copy of the photo page of my passport and not much else. To be honest, I doubt they looked at most of the pages provided - some clearly hadn't been taken out of the folder.

We had some translations made by a commercial company but most were translated by a Thai English teacher friend. As long as they're signed & certified accurate by the translator, dated & with contact details it seems they're acceptable.

Where you don't provide the original document - e.g. your passport - don't forget to self-certify the copies as true copies of the original, as mentioned in the post above.

Time from VFS visit to delivery to courier's office - 5 days.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by MartinL