Uk Counterpart Driving License

ELCata

OK it's the big move tomorrow. Got my new(ish) photo-card license. Got my brand spanking IDP. My question is do I need the counterpart in order to obtain a Thai driving license?<_<

I'd rather leave it home if I don't need it. It's just another bit of paper to lose.:lol:

For non-UKers, it's a separate bit of paper that accompanies your license, which details any endorsements / convictions etc.:blink:

THe only thing you need is your DL. No counterpart and NO IDP.

No counterpart required, Although IDP not required by law, if you have it, put in with your application along with your DL for the Thai DL, so traffic departments do want to see it

I think I would at least bring a copy of it, just in case. Thai government officials are notorious for changing rules for no reason.

Good luck with your move :)

Edited by jaiyenyen

I got mine in Pattaya a couple of months ago and forgot to take my UK DL - only had IDP with me. I was going to go back and fetch it but the lady there said that the IDP on its own was fine as the details on it were taken from my UK DL.

THe only thing you need is your DL. No counterpart and NO IDP.

for non residents and max 90 days. If you have visa or permit to stay for more than 90 days, you need Thai DL asap to drive legally and have insurance cover

to swap UK lisence to Thai, most DLT want to see a IDP, or a translation and explanation of your UK DL in Thai and confirmed by UK Embassy

so better bring it :)

most DLT want to see a IDP, or a translation and explanation of your UK DL in Thai and confirmed by UK Embassy

an IDP is a legal "translation" of your your existing DL and since when when do you need this confirmed by the British Embassy ?? FYI....No such thing as the "UK Embassy"...its the British Embassy

most DLT want to see a IDP, or a translation and explanation of your UK DL in Thai and confirmed by UK Embassy

an IDP is a legal "translation" of your your existing DL and since when when do you need this confirmed by the British Embassy ?? FYI....No such thing as the "UK Embassy"...its the British Embassy

Several DLT requires this translation and explanation from your Embassy if you can not provide an IDP. Excuse me for not being British or native english speaker, but as you did understand what I meant by the "UK Embassy", whats the problem?

Several DLT requires this translation and explanation from your Embassy if you can not provide an IDP. Excuse me for not being British or native english speaker, but as you did understand what I meant by the "UK Embassy", whats the problem?

Only if the DL concerned is not in the English language or if there is no IDP (which is a translation), seeing as the OP specifically talks about a British DL, this requirement is not applicable, however some traffice departments want both DL & IDP, even if in the English language, but even in this case the British embassy has nothing to do with it.

The problem is you are telling the OP he needs to visit the British embassy to secure a "document" that does not exist/issued by them and is not required.

The hope is we are trying to provide people with the correct/best advice, and not sending them off on wild goose chases trying to get documents which dont exist from the British embassy.

Only if the DL concerned is not in the English language or if there is no IDP (which is a translation), seeing as the OP specifically talks about a British DL, this requirement is not applicable, however some traffice departments want both DL & IDP, even if in the English language, but even in this case the British embassy has nothing to do with it.

The problem is you are telling the OP he needs to visit the British embassy to secure a "document" that does not exist/issued by them and is not required.

The hope is we are trying to provide people with the correct/best advice, and not sending them off on wild goose chases trying to get documents which dont exist from the British embassy.

Please read my posts again, I said ",if you can not provide an IDP". and its not "traffic departments", it is Department of Land Transportation, DLT :)

Bottom line national DL, even if in english language, can often not be swapped to Thai DL if not supported by IDP. Most embassys (including my) is willing to stamp and sign a document with translation of natinal DL and what vehicles you are allowed to operate, to replace IDP if required by DLT :)

I have taken a closer look at my IDP & it includes a section named 'exclusions' (French / Italian). There is a similar section, with a circle surrounding the text, in every language section. I can only assume that any driving convictions are listed within that part of the IDP, making the counterpart surplus to requirements.:blink:

I will update the topic when I have applied for my Thai license FYI.:D