Changing Plates

I am in the process of selling my car, the persective owner does not want to pay extra for my plates and would prefer to swap. Mine cost me 65,000 and are probably worth more tthan 100,000 now, so I don't want to give them away as I am sure you can appreciate. :ermm:

How difficult a process is this, and how can it be done?

My car was registered in Bangkok, potential buyer's in Issan.

I'm sure any transfer on my part would mean a trip to Bangkok, but its' not an easy process here like it is in the UK.

Does anyone have any experience in this matter, or are there agents who do this?

As its a private deal with no dealer involved I think it makes the process harder.

I really don't know where to start so any advice or experience would be very very welcome

Many thanks in advance

TP :jap:

You should call the DLT. They should be able to help. My insurance agent (of all people!) helped me. Long and short, you can keep the plate. He applies for a new one and gets a red plate until his arrives. In Thailand, plates are owned by the owner and go with the owner, not the car. You keep the plate and then register it to a new car later. I don't know all the details, but a phone call to DLT will clear it up.

Department of Transport 1032 Phaholyothin Road, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900 Telephone Number (center) 0-2271-8888.

It is very simple

Bring plate and book to DLT car is registered. request white plates at approx 800 baht

Have white plate number noted in reg book front page and page 18. All done in approx 45 minutes

Your keep your special number, and it is valid for 3 years if not being used on a vehicle

It is very simple

Bring plate and book to DLT car is registered. request white plates at approx 800 baht

Have white plate number noted in reg book front page and page 18. All done in approx 45 minutes

Your keep your special number, and it is valid for 3 years if not being used on a vehicle

Will I have to go to BK to have this done KBB?

Or can I do it here in CM?

It is very simple

if you have BKK plates, yes. but certain rules could apply to the colored purchased plates, so I would go ask DLT CM

if you have an CM adress, vehicle reg can be moved to CM. Bring book to DLT CM and proof of adress and request for transfer. 7 days later bring book and car to DLT CM. Recieve CM reg and CM white plates, but then again not sure how they handle the colored purchased plates

It is very simple

if you have BKK plates, yes. but certain rules could apply to the colored purchased plates, so I would go ask DLT CM

if you have an CM address, vehicle reg can be moved to CM. Bring book to DLT CM and proof of adress and request for transfer. 7 days later bring book and car to DLT CM. Recieve CM reg and CM white plates, but then again not sure how they handle the colored purchased plates

According to my local DLT (Chonburi, and sometimes things vary from province to province) you must go to the DLT office where the special plates were issued (Bangkok) otherwise CM DLT will simply change your special Bangkok plates for standard white CM plates and they will keep the special Bangkok plates. You will also need the paperwork proving your ownership of the plates, unless Bangkok DLT still has their copy, otherwise you may find proving ownership to be a lengthy process.

If you later transfer the plates to another car that car will have to be registered in Bangkok, obviously, not CM.