Bringing Money Back To Usa

Hello,

I wired the price of a pickup truck from my bank in the USA to my account with Siam Commercial Bank, Hua Hin in 2006, while working there as a teacher. My wife's brother bought the truck in 2007, after we returned to the States and placed the payment in my saving account with SCB. We'll be returning to Thailand for a visit next year and I'll want to close my account in Hua Hin and have 700,00 baht brought back to my bank in the USA.

My question is: What is the best way to go about moving the money back into USD? I've had a bad experience with HSBC in Singapore when wiring money back to my bank account in the USA. With their conversion rate and wiring fee I lost about 10% in fees! Is there a less expensive way than just having SCB exchange it at their rate and charge me their related fees? Also, is the fact that I have a bank book from SCB that shows the deposit of 900,000 baht from my account in the USA back in 2006 ( to cover the price of the pickup) enough proof to show that the money didn't originate from Thailand (thus quelling any suspicions that it is money made in Thailand)?

Any advice on this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

:jap:

The easiest would be to exchange the money to $ (or exchangeBth to $ in US) and then take the money as cash back home. Each of you can takeup to $10,000 for a total of $20,000 back home no question asked.

But if it is more than $20k then you have to present a proofof wire transfer to Thailand and then you can wire the money back to your USaccount