Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

while I used to accept the looks of the WT just to get the spec and engine, I now honestly dislike it, I always did, I just managed to ignore it

Same - it ws only after seeing it in the metal that it struck me that it looked like a base model with a body kit..

I suggested the same way back at post no 309 MRO. You're right, the WT will not be a success due to the fact it looks ugly & Ford's terrible programme to date. Sadly, they possibly/probably? have the best truck in the segment and they've stuffed their golden opportunity to gain some sizeable market share from Izu and Toyota.

being abel to sell Vios and Altis in TH with rear trunk wings and TRD stickers as a 20k baht option, I believe WT will be a success. IMHO, their still all ugly thogiggle.gif

if they had just body color coded the doorhandles to make it different from XLT, it would have been ok. But the g®ay rollbar and doorhandles always put me off. The wind dragging and ugly roof bar to. But Thais ordr this sh-t as options on other models, so............

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conversely, some who buy the XLT want to make it look like the WT;

(photos taken from another forum)

Conversely, some who buy the XLT want to make it look like the WT;

(photos taken from another forum)

I think that looks really good actually with the chrome Ranger badge and the bumper.

I think it would look even better if the bottom grill was chrome.

I think it looks great as well, but I'd go with the lower grill blu, black allows and running boards.

So according to some posters there is a boat going to Aus every week with Rangers on them.

Then some others say that the Rangers in Aus are being sourced from Sth Africa.

The truth is out there, if only we could find it!

I am seriously looking at the BT-50 which seems not to have any similar issues(?).

Mazda are making all sorts of promises, which Ford are not making even as an apology for being a bunch of d**kwads.

The Colorado is 905k and its not even leather! So dropped that one straight off.

So the butt ugly BT-50 appears to be the best choice.

BTW, can I leave my Ranger order and 5K at Ford and when they ring in 2014 to say its here I can say "Sorry I forgot I don't want it give me back my 5K please?" and actually get it back?

Bt50 3,2 2 door out at dealers ready to be picked up, even here in the south

So according to some posters there is a boat going to Aus every week with Rangers on them.

I am seriously looking at the BT-50 which seems not to have any similar issues(?).

Mazda are making all sorts of promises, which Ford are not making even as an apology for being a bunch of d**kwads.

The Colorado is 905k and its not even leather! So dropped that one straight off.

BTW, can I leave my Ranger order and 5K at Ford and when they ring in 2014 to say its here I can say "Sorry I forgot I don't want it give me back my 5K please?" and actually get it back?

There could be a few reasons why they aren't (making/ delivering) Wildtraks in Thailand.

1, They can't be seen fulfilling orders in Thailand before Australia.

2, There are parts shortages in Thailand. (This for me is the least possible answer because I'm sure it's cheaper to send parts to Thailand than a container-ship of trucks to Aus from SA.

3, They are waiting for any teething problems to arise on the XLT before they start to mass produce the Wildtraks. (This for me is the most possible answer.)

4, There's a design fault on the Wildtrak.

5, The new ATT plant is having issues with QC. (This is also a good possible answer.)

All of these do not change the fact that they're not selling Wildtraks till after June. (maybe, who knows if that is for certain.)violin.gif

I went to the Mazda dealership yesterday, and I just can't bring myself to do it.cowboy.gif

Edit;

I read on an Aus forum that Ford has got massive fleet sales to mining corps.

One of these deals alone was in excess of 4,000 XLTs, maybe they just still can't keep up with demand in Aus.

Edited by stefan2519

I went to the Mazda dealership yesterday, and I just can't bring myself to do it.cowboy.gif

Take your wifr with you...

borrow my sunglasses

or get some rose tinteddrunk.gif

I just wish they would make my BT50 in TRUE REDintheclub.gif

I saw the Ranger in TRUE RED, was expecting to love it, but was disappointed. Not big enough for that red IMO. Looked good in the darker metallic red (that I thought I would not like) though.

Buy the BT50 in silver and have it two-toned.

I saw a true red XLT with 20" rims in Koh Lanta last week and it looked great!

the more fiesta and mazda2 and 3 I see in true red, the more certain I become this is my #1color for both Ranger and BT50, as long as they dont make them in 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Candy Apple red, or 2000 Ford Excursion red metallic. Chev Th red metallic as in Cruze and Captiva would have passed. 1998-2000 Dodge Durango in Chili Pepper Red would have been my first choice.

But thats all colors really needing cream leather. So black leather = TRUE RED

20 Lenso is already on the list

You have to appreciate that Ford doesn't make announcements each time a shipment of vehicles goes out, so we rely on intel from various different sources around the world to get this type of info.

Originally, it was openly discussed by various Ford insiders that Aus market Rangers would be sourced from Thailand, so everyone worked on the assumption that that was the case. However, the floods hit right around the time of the Ranger's offficial launch in Aus (October 2011), and supply lines were crippled. What we've since found out is that Aus have been getting it supplies direct from South Africa (inluding the first batch way back on October), and that the first shipment of Thai-made Ranger's only left the docks a few weeks ago..

This isn't some sort of up-to-the-minute blog - everyday there dozens of info snippets that come to light, but they don't get posted here until someone asks, heh ;)

There could be a few reasons why they aren't (making/ delivering) Wildtraks in Thailand.

1, They can't be seen fulfilling orders in Thailand before Australia.

2, There are parts shortages in Thailand. (This for me is the least possible answer because I'm sure it's cheaper to send parts to Thailand than a container-ship of trucks to Aus from SA.

3, They are waiting for any teething problems to arise on the XLT before they start to mass produce the Wildtraks. (This for me is the most possible answer.)

4, There's a design fault on the Wildtrak.

5, The new ATT plant is having issues with QC. (This is also a good possible answer.)

All of these do not change the fact that they're not selling Wildtraks till after June. (maybe, who knows if that is for certain.)violin.gif

Edit;

I read on an Aus forum that Ford has got massive fleet sales to mining corps.

One of these deals alone was in excess of 4,000 XLTs, maybe they just still can't keep up with demand in Aus.

It's well known that parts supply issues due to the floods crippled early production. While engines come from SA, body panels are all local, and it would be hard to imagine that Ford's SA suppliers who are already running at full capacity would spend the money to scale-up to help supply a very short-term transient demand from TH. Not only that, importing panels would cost substantially more than local suppliers, so would unlikely be able to make a business case.

As for the lack of 3.2L versions, I can't think of any excuses, seeing as both diesel engine variants come from South Africa anyway. My gut says there's a problem with the 4x4, or the LSD, or the W/T bits, and/or or some type of body panel related issue at play... but that's just a total guess.

The good news I guess is that they aren't letting a substandard product make it out the door - well, except for one particular media car, that's attracted a fair amount of criticism as a result.

Some of the original bookers are now receiving letters offering the Wildtrak 3.2 with some odd turbo blah blah blah name for 1.049m baht so this would seem to be the pre-release price to placate the people in the queue who have waited after booking at the motorshow (mostly I guess) last November.

Delivery I have been told is May or June, so not so far off the April timeline, but at least for me, a deal breaker to rely on and why I went and purchased a Mini Cooper S in the meantime ;_) Perhaps some people may still go through with the wildtrak 3.2 as well; depends on whether the 1.049m baht price is THE MARKET PRICE or a genuine special offer worth taking up.

Still no idea on whether trays, features, etc are all sorted yet; and in asking Ford despite the private letter offer it seems that they are still not publically stating the price as yet.

Finally got a call from Ford to get my financing ready...so I went there today (CM) and gave them all the paperwork+ tons of copies(!)...OK,if approved maybe 3 weeks-not to bad...still not sure about the color,but I think I'll stick with the Sparkling Gold...just bing conservative and practical...don't have to worry about this red dirt which is all present around here.I wanted white at the beginning,but this XLT looks like "white elephant" in this color...I would have to change to many things to like it.

BTW,saw a Chili Orange WT there...hmm,it just don't look right...the metallic helps,but my wife said it looks like "bad blood"(?!)...don't want that in this superstitious country...but I really liked the "smoke" headlights and taillights...well,they are not really "smoked",but the dark trim inside makes the appearance...and the leather seats look good,but...dam_n hot,almost burn my butt(it was there in the sun)...Cheers...

March to June? Talk about ballpark, Yikes,

And that's not even the 3.2 !! If ford isn't careful they will lose a lot of sales to mazda - faster delivery, cheaper, better service centres??

....and the girly styling. May be OK for those who think having a reversing camera on a truck is manly.

if you need a macho truck, get a macho truck, without camera

I dont give a shit if it comes with a smiling grill, as long as it performsgiggle.gif

However with the hatch often down and bed loaded, I need some reversing aid. 2 fixes, camera, or extra reverse sensors in top edge of hatch, working when hatch open. I prefere the sensors, but not sure if ranger/bt50 software accepts them with an alternating switch

I have 4 zone reversing sensors fitted by Ford in the back bumper of my new XLT auto. No problem, works well. BTW, I negotiated the sensors as part of the package deal (among other things). Very happy.

I have 4 zone reversing sensors fitted by Ford in the back bumper of my new XLT auto. No problem, works well. BTW, I negotiated the sensors as part of the package deal (among other things). Very happy.

OK...what other things...and where ??

have 4 zone reversing sensors fitted by Ford in the back bumper of my new XLT auto. No problem, works well. BTW, I negotiated the sensors as part of the package deal (among other things). Very happy.

yep, and then they are not connected to dash display, audio (beep) only. Have same in my mazda2 and have had in a bunch of cars

However my mazda bt50 3,2 will come with 4 sensors in rearbumper, showing on dash display which sensor is triggered and distance to object.

My thought was to install same in top edge of hatch to replace bumper sensors when hatch is down, displaying on dash as original. If I cant make it work, pirate sensors in same position is an alternative, but of course not showing on dashdisplay

After silently reading 49 pages, I thought I'd finally add my input as a 2.2 XLT owner. I've driven her 2,500 km in the last month. 50% highway, 50% BKK traffic, averaging 11.8km/l. Happy with the handling, except the transmission.

Getting some strange shifting noises occasionally when driving in traffic (throttle, release, throttle). Sounds like gears rubbing. You can feel it in the accelerator as well.

The truck is also very unresponsive after slowing below 25km/h. After going over a speed bump, for example, you can press the accelerator all the way down with no attempt to downshift for around two seconds. Basically, the truck stays in a higher gear until it slowly reaches 1,500rmp, then it will downshift and peel out. This is very frustrating when you have to drive over 50 speed bumps a day.

I took the truck back to the ford dealer and asked if they could do a computer diagnostic and calibration. They said no, but they drove it around the parking lot and said it seemed fine. They told me the noise I heard was probably the air compressor kicking in.

I know stories like this won't help my resale value, but I thought it was my duty to share my experience after getting so much info from this forum.

I was told there were no bed liners available yet, but that some dealers were selling bed liners that didn’t fit quite right. If you get a reverse camera put in, it won’t be done by Ford, it will just be some shop. Ford won’t let you trade in your 17” tires for 18”, Ford will just take your 17” to a shop and sell them and use that money against the price of the 18”.

One more thing, the air-conditioning is very loud. There are 4 speeds. If you go to 3 or 4, you'll have to shout to have a conversation, (especially at my preferred settings of split head/foot and recycled air). Yet the air isn't coming out fast at all.

When I have some time, I'm going to ask Ford to do a test drive to see if these issues are specific to my truck.

"That is a automatic & 2012 model correct?"

2.2 auto 2012. Running at about 117km/h at 2000 rmp. No modifications yet.

seems to me you have a throttle error, its drive by wire, electronic, and as you say you can feel something in it, this would be cause its moving due to be told so (by ECU?), which again can appear as the autotranny/kickdown wont response

After silently reading 49 pages, I thought I'd finally add my input as a 2.2 XLT owner. I've driven her 2,500 km in the last month. 50% highway, 50% BKK traffic, averaging 11.8km/l. Happy with the handling, except the transmission.

Getting some strange shifting noises occasionally when driving in traffic (throttle, release, throttle). Sounds like gears rubbing. You can feel it in the accelerator as well.

The truck is also very unresponsive after slowing below 25km/h. After going over a speed bump, for example, you can press the accelerator all the way down with no attempt to downshift for around two seconds. Basically, the truck stays in a higher gear until it slowly reaches 1,500rmp, then it will downshift and peel out. This is very frustrating when you have to drive over 50 speed bumps a day.

I took the truck back to the ford dealer and asked if they could do a computer diagnostic and calibration. They said no, but they drove it around the parking lot and said it seemed fine. They told me the noise I heard was probably the air compressor kicking in.

I know stories like this won't help my resale value, but I thought it was my duty to share my experience after getting so much info from this forum.

I was told there were no bed liners available yet, but that some dealers were selling bed liners that didn’t fit quite right. If you get a reverse camera put in, it won’t be done by Ford, it will just be some shop. Ford won’t let you trade in your 17” tires for 18”, Ford will just take your 17” to a shop and sell them and use that money against the price of the 18”.

One more thing, the air-conditioning is very loud. There are 4 speeds. If you go to 3 or 4, you'll have to shout to have a conversation, (especially at my preferred settings of split head/foot and recycled air). Yet the air isn't coming out fast at all.

When I have some time, I'm going to ask Ford to do a test drive to see if these issues are specific to my truck.

The issue with the gear box sounds the same as the one in Aus.

Some say it's the adaptive programming learning, some a software fault but most say after awhile it starts to get better.

One poster said took it to Ford and they checked and the tail drive-shaft was out of alignment, when replaced it was fine.

The issue with the noise in traffic is a new one. I haven't heard anyone as yet reporting it, if you get any info it would be good to know.

The low fans speed could due to the filter, at a guess.

It's located behind the glove-box. I would remove it all together and see if it makes a difference, if it does take it into Ford.

I hope you get it sorted!

and the worst part is the crap poor service by Ford.

"and the worst part is the crap poor service by Ford."

Maybe it is just normal for this truck. I found these posts claiming a similar acceleration lag.

"I’ve test driven the 3.2 litre several times (different one each time) and they all have the serious lag on full throttle take-off. You’ll have time for a cut lunch and a cup of tea before you have to shift your attention back to it actually moving. Once it heads off it’s quite pushy, but then as you get faster it gets all fussy and asthmatic. What a pity. The Hilux is less powerful, but it has a very even and predictable power band."

JJD of New Zealand Posted on 06 February 2012 5:25pm

"I have the new Ford Ranger XL 4x2 Hi Rider 2.2liter t/d and there is a dangerously noticable flat spot on take off. I feel it is turbo lag as one the revs hit around 1300rpm it takes off. I have had this looked at by fords at first service. According to them it is the characteristic of the vehicle. So if anyone is considering the 2.2 litre t/d I would strongly suggest comparing it against the 3.2 litre first. Apart from that overall the vehicle is a great package."

Jason M of Adelaide Posted on 26 January 2012 7:00pm

Edited by thamilto

"That is a automatic & 2012 model correct?"

2.2 auto 2012. Running at about 117km/h at 2000 rmp. No modifications yet.

seems to me you have a throttle error, its drive by wire, electronic, and as you say you can feel something in it, this would be cause its moving due to be told so (by ECU?), which again can appear as the autotranny/kickdown wont response

Thanks for the advice. How would I get a throttle error checked if Ford thinks it is fine?

"and the worst part is the crap poor service by Ford."

Maybe it is just normal for this truck. I found these posts claiming a similar acceleration lag.

"I’ve test driven the 3.2 litre several times (different one each time) and they all have the serious lag on full throttle take-off. You’ll have time for a cut lunch and a cup of tea before you have to shift your attention back to it actually moving. Once it heads off it’s quite pushy, but then as you get faster it gets all fussy and asthmatic. What a pity. The Hilux is less powerful, but it has a very even and predictable power band."

JJD of New Zealand Posted on 06 February 2012 5:25pm

"I have the new Ford Ranger XL 4x2 Hi Rider 2.2liter t/d and there is a dangerously noticable flat spot on take off. I feel it is turbo lag as one the revs hit around 1300rpm it takes off. I have had this looked at by fords at first service. According to them it is the characteristic of the vehicle. So if anyone is considering the 2.2 litre t/d I would strongly suggest comparing it against the 3.2 litre first. Apart from that overall the vehicle is a great package."

Jason M of Adelaide Posted on 26 January 2012 7:00pm

Anyone know if these are also issues with the bt50, having the the same drive train and all...

The issue with the gear box sounds the same as the one in Aus.

Some say it's the adaptive programming learning, some a software fault but most say after awhile it starts to get better.

One poster said took it to Ford and they checked and the tail drive-shaft was out of alignment, when replaced it was fine.

The issue with the noise in traffic is a new one. I haven't heard anyone as yet reporting it, if you get any info it would be good to know.

The low fans speed could due to the filter, at a guess.

It's located behind the glove-box. I would remove it all together and see if it makes a difference, if it does take it into Ford.

I hope you get it sorted!

Thanks to your help, and katabeachbum's, I might of found the cause of the low-speed throttle lag. According to http://www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com/rmp/blog/ranger-2012-technical-driving-analysis:

"The Ranger’s auto shift points and throttle mapping are also changed according to what the car is doing. In low range, Ford say "the throttle response is changed to an off-road setting which provides a less sensitive, softer pedal feel. This helps prevent unintentional acceleration due to the bouncing motion of the driver’s foot while moving over bumpy ground.“"

If this throttle mapping can't be adjusted, I might be selling my truck.