Crosspost: Where To Stream Music From For Thai Restaurant And What Kind Of Music Should We Play?

alexpoker

I'm helping a friend of mine make some changes to her restaurant here in Chiang Mai to cater better to her target customer base. She needs to be playing music. She has a pretty small place with 8-9 tables and serves mostly Thai Food to expats and tourists.

Im thinking instead having to burn CDs, its just better to steam some music online. However I want to use services without commercial ads.

I also need to figure out the best kinda music to be playing. During the evening some people also come just to have a drink/beer, so thinking the music during the evening should be slightly more upbeat than during the day?

Would greatly appreciate suggestions on music streaming services(not something expensive like Muzak), and what kind of music we should be playing at the restaurant.

Thanks a bunch.

Alex

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, and don't know the (Thailand) legalities of it, and I'm not a restaurant owner. But Apple's iTunes offers tons of broadcast streams of all types of music imaginable. And I would think other websites offer the same services.

You would be able to easily change from one type of music to another to suit whatever time of day or crowd of customers you have. And many of the broadcasts are commercial-free or mostly so.

ACCU RADIO on line is FREE and has a nice variety of genres and sub stations to chose from.

Not advocating using this in a business due to legal local Thai issues.

Better than burning CD's and having to DJ it all. But legality ???? well... up to you and the business owner to decide to use or not.

I use it at home and ........ errrrrmmm

Works great for me. I switch stations or Genres easily, and very few if any commercials. Plus it is free.

As for music styles, you start with a Genre, try that and if want to be more specific, check similar stations or sub stations. You and she will have to decide what works for that business.

Just search accuradio

Edited by KimoMax

Muzak costs about 495 Baht a month and you don't have to pay any licensing fees as they are included. Cheap and well worth not having to worry about the music police.

'Muzak' is the most negative and annoying use of background music.

Thinking who are the clientele/ what is the atmosphere/ design/ location/ what food is being served/ what times etc. is very important to make a decision IF and WHAT music to be played and on what VOLUME. If they have got no clue about this just DON'T !

burning CD's is illegal

Streaming Media - Live Radio

1Radio (australian radio)

RadioTuna

SKY.fm Webradio Player

Spider Player (webradio player)

Tuner2 (radio channels)

vTuner Internet Radio Index

WunderRadio

Yahoo Webradio Player

Streaming Directory - Icecast

Streaming Media Tools - Radio, TV

AccuRadio Webradio Player

Boxee (home theater freeware+)

BS Player (multimedia player)

Mini Stream (stream tools)

Playlist Convert .pls .m3u Software

Radio Sure (webradio player)

Spider Player (webradio player)

TVFox (firefox tv add-on)

Edited by Member

Thanks so far for all the suggestions. The main clientele are farrangs. The regulars are expats over 50 years old. Then you got occasional tourists coming in 18-35 years old.

Im guessing play more upbeat music(possibly 60s,70s music) during the evenings or from the time people start having a few drinks/beer?

Not sure about during the day tho. Smooth Jazz?

Thoughts?

Edited by alexpoker