PAD Leader Sondhi: Thaksin To Monopolize Political Power

webfact

PAD Leader: Thaksin to Monopolize Political Power

Sondhi believes that Thaksin will continue to struggle in Thai politics after fielding his younger sister Yingluck Shinnawatra as a prime minister candidate.

Sondhi Limthongkul, a core leader of the People's alliance for Democracy or PAD, spoke on Yingluck Shinnawatra being accused as the puppet of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawatra after being nominated as the Pheu Thai Party's prime ministerial candidate.

Sondhi said Yingluck will not be able to make her own decisions. He said her decisions will be dictated by the Pheu Thai Party executives.

Sondhi also accused Thaksin of aspiring to monopolize political power in his family by naming his sister as his proxy.

However, Yingluck still cannot shed the demand of the description of a reconciliation plan that many have speculated will involve granting amnesty for her brother.

Regarding Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's challenge to hold a debate, Sondhi reiterated that the current PM Abhisit Vejjajiva should not play games as Thais have acknowledged that a debate is not a great way to solve the political stalemate.

Sondhi said the only thing Abhisit was good at was talking and slandering others.

Last but not least, Sonthi has strongly supported the 'Vote No' campaign to obstruct ill-intended politicians from running the country.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-19

footer_n.gif

PAD Campaigns for "Vote No" at Registration Venue

The People's Alliance for Democracy promoted its “Vote No” campaign at the registration venue for party-list candidates this morning, attracting a lot of attention from the general public.

At the registration venue for the July 3 election, supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy conducted its “Vote No” campaign by showing posters mocking politicians, distributing free stickers that slam corruption-plagued politics and shouting the phrase “Vote No” periodically.

The campaign greatly drew attention from people nearby, but the group did not clash with supporters og the Pheu Thai Party, who were standing very close as police safeguarded the area.

The application process will continue until May 23.

PAD leader Major General Chamlong Srimuang, also a founder of the Pheu Fa Din Party, said his party decided not to field candidates in the poll because of the “Vote No” campaign.

He explained that his party would like voters to cast a “No” vote as the country cannot move forward due to corrupt politicians.

He said that even the PAD rally over the Preah Vihear dispute has failed to gain a response from the Abhisit administration.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Commissioner Police Major General Kririn Inkaew said he has ordered all Bangkok police stations to set up poll-related security centers to look after security leading up to the election.

He went on to say no electoral offense has emerged so far in Bangkok, adding that any MP candidate can request special protection from the metropolitan police force.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-19

footer_n.gif

I just wonder what the "invisible hand" will do if it does look like Thaksin's party will win? Clearly there's too much at stake for that to happen.

A coup seems out of the question and the army knows that managing the country and it's economy is not like in the 1990's. Disbanding Thaksin's party for the third time wouldn't be accepted by the people. The PAD is also fragmented currently and whereas before they held Abhisit for an alternative, the only thing they can call for going forward is in effect a coup.

I suspect that the only way left is to cheat in the election or try to prevent the election from happening using violence.

The "No Vote" could be a good excuse to rip up or destroy a good number of the opposition's votes. The dysfunctioning ID databases which are delaying new ID's for something like more than 2m people could be another means. Temporary ID papers will be issued which are easy to make. Foreign observers are not allowed to observe anything this year. Although in the past they've not been allowed to enter a voting centre, they have been able to interview voters leaving to find out who they voted for. This won't be allowed this time according to K.Suthep.

I just wonder what the "invisible hand" will do if it does look like Thaksin's party will win? Clearly there's too much at stake for that to happen.

A coup seems out of the question and the army knows that managing the country and it's economy is not like in the 1990's. Disbanding Thaksin's party for the third time wouldn't be accepted by the people. The PAD is also fragmented currently and whereas before they held Abhisit for an alternative, the only thing they can call for going forward is in effect a coup.

I suspect that the only way left is to cheat in the election or try to prevent the election from happening using violence.

The "No Vote" could be a good excuse to rip up or destroy a good number of the opposition's votes. The dysfunctioning ID databases which are delaying new ID's for something like more than 2m people could be another means. Temporary ID papers will be issued which are easy to make. Foreign observers are not allowed to observe anything this year. Although in the past they've not been allowed to enter a voting centre, they have been able to interview voters leaving to find out who they voted for. This won't be allowed this time according to K.Suthep.

I don't think the problem will come if the PTP look like they are going to win.

I think the army will allow the PTP to form government if they get enough votes and enough support from other parties (IMO, there is little chance of them getting a majority).

It's when the PTP start whitewashing Thaksin's crimes and the reinvigorated yellow shirts start protesting that a coup will most likely occur.

The ID problems and lack of observers allows everyone to cheat, so I don't think that will play much of a role, but I'm sure it will be brought up again when the PTP aren't able to form government.

strange how in the OP the person changes from the convicted (but not serving his sentence) criminal Sondhi to the Army General that instigated, and then led an illegal coup, followed by a threat to accept the new constitution absolving him of any blame or the army would stay in power.

easy mistake to make, both criminals, although the latter has since said the biggest mistake made was not continuing Thaksins populist policies, so at least he ha admitted mistakes, not like the narcissist sondhi.

As for the election, it is clear the dems know they will not win a fair election so skulduggery is afoot, with the database etc, the refusal to allow foreign observers etc, then again they know if he do lose the elite will do all in their power to get rid of the PTP on some trumped up charges to get their buddies the dems back into power. the dems have been no better that TRT with their electoral frauds, their escape from punishment for misusing funds, and of course for overseeing the slaughter of unarmed civilians in bangkok, as I said at the time either abhisit ordered it, or has been complicit in whitewashing it, or was not in control of the country, do we really need person like that in power, lest face it he could not win the power.

strange how in the OP the person changes from the convicted (but not serving his sentence) criminal Sondhi to the Army General that instigated, and then led an illegal coup, followed by a threat to accept the new constitution absolving him of any blame or the army would stay in power.

easy mistake to make, both criminals, although the latter has since said the biggest mistake made was not continuing Thaksins populist policies, so at least he ha admitted mistakes, not like the narcissist sondhi.

As for the election, it is clear the dems know they will not win a fair election so skulduggery is afoot, with the database etc, the refusal to allow foreign observers etc, then again they know if he do lose the elite will do all in their power to get rid of the PTP on some trumped up charges to get their buddies the dems back into power. the dems have been no better that TRT with their electoral frauds, their escape from punishment for misusing funds, and of course for overseeing the slaughter of unarmed civilians in bangkok, as I said at the time either abhisit ordered it, or has been complicit in whitewashing it, or was not in control of the country, do we really need person like that in power, lest face it he could not win the power.

Nice random like post, many things thrown together, difficult to react on without needing to break it down in bits and pieces to show which are relevant and which not.

So let's only clarify an obvious redundancy. An 'illegal coup' suggest that there are legal coups.

Anyway did you get stuck in the office, or are you using the opportunity to mingle with fellow reds ?

Edited by rubl

Sondhi is no better than Thaksin, or Abhisit, or any other politicians. All these politicians have designs for their personal benefit, none for the country.

Sondhi's never been a politician, has he?

What has Abhisit done for his "personal benefit"?

I think the army will allow the PTP to form government if they get enough votes and enough support from other parties (IMO, there is little chance of them getting a majority).

It's when the PTP start whitewashing Thaksin's crimes and the reinvigorated yellow shirts start protesting that a coup will most likely occur.

The ID problems and lack of observers allows everyone to cheat, so I don't think that will play much of a role, but I'm sure it will be brought up again when the PTP aren't able to form government.

The acceptance that the army will play a role in the election results should the PTP get the majority of seats is hardly the best result of a "free and fair democratic" election and a sad reflection of what people expect from Thai politics.

But we all know it will happen, it will not be an "in your face" coup imo, just a gentle pulling to one side of the parties expected to form a coalition and being encouraged that the democrats provide the "best bet".

And Abhisit will accept this arrangement and convince himself that at last he has the mandate of the people.

The government will carry on the "Good Fight", the Army will pull back from causing confrontations on the Cambodian Border, the pigs will get their snouts back in the trough and Happy Ever After

.......................maybe.

But we all know it will happen, it will not be an "in your face" coup imo, just a gentle pulling to one side of the parties expected to form a coalition and being encouraged that the democrats provide the "best bet".

That will certainly be the line from the red shirt supporters if the Democrats are able to form a coalition.

I think everyone will have to accept that either the PTP or the Democrats will form a coalition government. How either of them do it will be open to conjecture. It will be either "Thaksin paid everyone" or "The army coerced everyone".

But the reality is, that's how it "works" in Thailand.

That will certainly be the line from the red shirt supporters if the Democrats are able to form a coalition.

I think everyone will have to accept that either the PTP or the Democrats will form a coalition government. How either of them do it will be open to conjecture. It will be either "Thaksin paid everyone" or "The army coerced everyone".

But the reality is, that's how it "works" in Thailand.

And it wouldn't be a reality if someone had the guts to put the army back where they belong i.e "not being involved in politics" but that would involve negating the power of the "invisible hand" and I'm not going to be brought into a debate about that.

The OP post is really just conjecture, nonsense, a second opinion, etc. Anyone reading it as news or facts is extremely easy to mislead. Who cares what Sondhi says - it's a completely empty and meaningless post. There's no facts, no nothing....its a complete smear job without any substance. A poor, poor try.

What are PM Abhisit's views on Article 112, les majeste? Would he support modifications or outright repeal? Or, does he support it?

All I see is sniping between candidates and their entourages. How about discussing issues?

And it wouldn't be a reality if someone had the guts to put the army back where they belong i.e "not being involved in politics" but that would involve negating the power of the "invisible hand" and I'm not going to be brought into a debate about that.

I went to a lunch with K Voranai (Bangkok Post) speaking a couple of months ago, and he was talking about the "invisible hand" too.

Yes, it would be good if the army were not involved in politics, but then the corruption would get way out of hand. Unless the police did the job that is expected of them, but that's harder than dealing with the army.

I went to a lunch with K Voranai (Bangkok Post) speaking a couple of months ago, and he was talking about the "invisible hand" too.

Yes, it would be good if the army were not involved in politics, but then the corruption would get way out of hand. Unless the police did the job that is expected of them, but that's harder than dealing with the army.

I'm sure that is a topic of several conversations these days. How would you say the army keeps corruption from getting way out of hand, I'm curious? Do they keep a special eye on the BJP? Personally I would have thought the only way they only keep corruption in check is by diverting a large amount of it their way and thus leaving less for the others to fight over B) . Seriously though, I am interested in your opinion on this.

The acceptance that the army will play a role in the election results should the PTP get the majority of seats is hardly the best result of a "free and fair democratic" election and a sad reflection of what people expect from Thai politics.

And Abhisit will accept this arrangement and convince himself that at last he has the mandate of the people.

The government will carry on the "Good Fight", the Army will pull back from causing confrontations on the Cambodian Border, the pigs will get their snouts back in the trough and Happy Ever After

I'm really surprised to see you refer to 'your acceptance the army will play a role', as if it's a fact. It's like others who promised me a coup and that for months already. 'but WE all KNOW it will happen', the 'we' and 'know' refers to your opinion which may be shared by others, but hardly a 'we know'. The rest is based on your presumptions / opinion. Since I do not agree with one, I can hardly agree with whatever you deduct or assume from that position either. No surprise to you, I'd say ;)

Sondhi is no better than Thaksin, or Abhisit, or any other politicians. All these politicians have designs for their personal benefit, none for the country.

You dont have to sit in parliament to be a politician. When you try to topple a government, you ARE automatically a politician. Do you need me to list out everything Abhisit AND his subordinates do for their personal benefits? EVERY politician here in Thailand is a hypocrite, speaking to win hearts, but only with ulterior motives!!

You dont have to sit in parliament to be a politician. When you try to topple a government, you ARE automatically a politician. Do you need me to list out everything Abhisit AND his subordinates do for their personal benefits? EVERY politician here in Thailand is a hypocrite, speaking to win hearts, but only with ulterior motives!!

Let's start with the list of everything k. Abhisit has done for his personal benefit, if you please :ermm:

I'm really surprised to see you refer to 'your acceptance the army will play a role', as if it's a fact. It's like others who promised me a coup and that for months already. 'but WE all KNOW it will happen', the 'we' and 'know' refers to your opinion which may be shared by others, but hardly a 'we know'. The rest is based on your presumptions / opinion. Since I do not agree with one, I can hardly agree with whatever you deduct or assume from that position either. No surprise to you, I'd say ;)

No, no suprise, perhaps you're right, the gentle dove Gen. Prayuth will be happy to sit in his barracks - it just means that those who are to fill the boots of the coalition partners to the democrats will have to go there, or maybe one of the houses of the "invisible hand" whose existence is acknowleged by others, but maybe not by you.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/05/20/national/Reds-try-to-come-to-terms-with-bloodshed-30155738.html

http://www3.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=969&Itemid=185

and just for the sake of balance here's Suthep blaming "an invisible hand" (the same - could be) for the assassination of Seh Daeng

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?34370-CRES-blames-invisible-hand-for-Seh-Daeng-shooting

If PTP win and forms the government then I hope the Army has the forward planning in place and the patience to play the waiting game for when Thaksin steps back into the country as he has promised, as for that to occur then the constitution and the justice system will have been already compromised. Many birds could be killed with the one stone or is that one coup.

Edited by Roadman

I think the army's role here is overstated. They accepted a Thaksin government gracefully once before. The army is just one of many dodgy players involved in the mess, each trying to protect their interests and avoid punishment by doing what Thai (and indeed Asian and many) politicians and business leader do; lobby. In Washington I believe it's full time occupation including well paid people lobbying on behalf of the military, foreign governments, etc.

As long as the army have not shown up in parliament with guns forcing people to stick their hands up then it's not entirely accurate to say they running the show. Ultimately the next government will be the decision of Newin and Barnharn, both of who will consider their options based on money, lucrative opportunities, their future relationship with the coalition partners and also pressure groups. The latter is important for there will certainly be groups from the so-called elite pushing them not to get into bed with Thaksin. On the flip side there will be many influential people pushing for the opposite so that they might benefit from a change at the top.

So, unless PTP beat the Dems by a convincing margin, I don't think we can really say which side will gain the right to govern, but whichever the coalition partners choose, we should respect that as part of the democratic choice. And if the PTP get the most seats marginally but are turned down, they ought to consider if it's got something to do with their stated objectives being at odds with everyone else.

Furthermore, what might likely happen is one party gains the most constituency MPs while the other gains the most votes in the party list system. Both can then legitimately claim they were the 'winner'.

If the PTP do get to form the next government I don't think the army will have a problem with that. When the PTP try to pardon Thaksin they can expect multiple hurdles from many quarters. If they pull off a blatant stunt, fiddling the law, they can expect a lot of the people on the streets. When it gets messy and the police are their usual incompetent selves, then what role does the army play?

So, in short, there will many invisible hands at play here, from the barracks, from quarters we can't mention, from Dubai, from business lobbyist, even the PAD might try their luck...that's politics for you.

Nice random like post, many things thrown together, difficult to react on without needing to break it down in bits and pieces to show which are relevant and which not.

So let's only clarify an obvious redundancy. An 'illegal coup' suggest that there are legal coups.

Anyway did you get stuck in the office, or are you using the opportunity to mingle with fellow reds ?

it is better to use the words 'illegal coup' as many on here still seem to be confused.

mingle with fellow reds?? have you decided that I am a red? thanks for that, maybe you can decide other things for me as well based on your lack off any knowledge about me or what makes me tick, well done you.

as for the relevance of the post, it is all relevant if you read it and digest it rather than rushing in to write a post just to try and discount it based on who wrote it rather than the content, again well done you. Have a lollipop

it is better to use the words 'illegal coup' as many on here still seem to be confused.

mingle with fellow reds?? have you decided that I am a red? thanks for that, maybe you can decide other things for me as well based on your lack off any knowledge about me or what makes me tick, well done you.

as for the relevance of the post, it is all relevant if you read it and digest it rather than rushing in to write a post just to try and discount it based on who wrote it rather than the content, again well done you. Have a lollipop

I apologize, with your post history I shouldn't have said 'fellow red-shirts', 'fellow anti-current-(caretaker-)government' would be more accurate.

Thanks for the lollipop, my little niece really likes them :)

PS Who wrote it, yes ... well ... I've got a reasonable memory, former member of the English police force as you wrote a few times ;) )

Edited by rubl

I think the army's role here is overstated. They accepted a Thaksin government gracefully once before. The army is just one of many dodgy players involved in the mess, each trying to protect their interests and avoid punishment by doing what Thai (and indeed Asian and many) politicians and business leader do; lobby. In Washington I believe it's full time occupation including well paid people lobbying on behalf of the military, foreign governments, etc.

As long as the army have not shown up in parliament with guns forcing people to stick their hands up then it's not entirely accurate to say they running the show. Ultimately the next government will be the decision of Newin and Barnharn, both of who will consider their options based on money, lucrative opportunities, their future relationship with the coalition partners and also pressure groups. The latter is important for there will certainly be groups from the so-called elite pushing them not to get into bed with Thaksin. On the flip side there will be many influential people pushing for the opposite so that they might benefit from a change at the top.

So, unless PTP beat the Dems by a convincing margin, I don't think we can really say which side will gain the right to govern, but whichever the coalition partners choose, we should respect that as part of the democratic choice. And if the PTP get the most seats marginally but are turned down, they ought to consider if it's got something to do with their stated objectives being at odds with everyone else.

Furthermore, what might likely happen is one party gains the most constituency MPs while the other gains the most votes in the party list system. Both can then legitimately claim they were the 'winner'.

If the PTP do get to form the next government I don't think the army will have a problem with that. When the PTP try to pardon Thaksin they can expect multiple hurdles from many quarters. If they pull off a blatant stunt, fiddling the law, they can expect a lot of the people on the streets. When it gets messy and the police are their usual incompetent selves, then what role does the army play?

So, in short, there will many invisible hands at play here, from the barracks, from quarters we can't mention, from Dubai, from business lobbyist, even the PAD might try their luck...that's politics for you.

Well put.

Sondhi was the leader of the New Politics Party.