Your Opinion On A Good Home Media Server Solution

floridaguy

Ok, I am looking for an inexpensive NAS type solution. I have a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports. I would like to add storage, connected by the Ethernet port, to my home network with the following criteria:

1. Quiet, low power consumption, cool running (it will always be on, see below)

2. 1 or 2 drive bays, not necessary to be hot swappable, with at least 1TB of storage or add my own drives

3. Able to do automatic and continuous background backups from multiple devices

4. Able to stream media over Wi-Fi and internet to multiple devices.

I have multiple Windows PCs and iPhones, a Mac, an iPad, an Xbox 360,and a PS3. My HTPC is wired to my network and connected to my main television; everything else is on Wi-Fi. My router is a Linksys WRT320N. I would like to serve files and media files both over the home network and also over the internet to any of these devices. I need documents (PDF, Word and Excel files) accessible anywhere in home or outside the home on my iPhone or iPad for work. I have media files (movies, music) that I need to be able to stream on the home network or to my iPad or Windows Notebook over Wi-Fi or 3G while on the road.

Ok, so what is a good solution that is readily available in Bangkok? I considered just leaving my HTPC on all the time and serve from there, but I would like to be able to use a dedicated storage device instead.

Edited by floridaguy

1 and 2 are fairly standard for any NAS box (have a look at the D-links), but 3 and 4 tend to be found in the more expensive units. I love my QNAP but they aren't cheap and not easy to get hold of (Banana IT online store). It has a Twonky media server built in which any DNLA device will see (including many late model TVs). So if your NAS is plugged into your wireless router then sharing media files at home is no problem. I set up a wireless bridge through to my TV and can watch downloads on the big screen now.

Backups, simplest way is to install some decent backup software on each of your machines and use a network share on the NAS as the target. Avoid the utilities that comes *with* the NAS, they usually suck. I hacked the QNAP to run rsnapshot but that's only useful with your Linux and Mac machines, forget Windows.

I've seen the odd Drobo in Fortune, they have a pretty good reputation although I haven't tried one out. Might be cheaper. The D-link is dirt cheap if you are willing to settle for a basic file server, but it doesn't have a media server. Most of these things come with Gigabit ethernet ports now.

Well, I went with a WD My Book World Edition NAS, because itis cheap and it runs on a stripped down version of Linux. There are customscripts that can be uploaded to the device that allows much more functionalitythan stock. I now have everything I want. I am even running a web accessserver, secured, that allows me to access all my files from anywhere. Tested iton my iPad and it works perfectly.

You can always make your own cheap nas using FreeNAS on a usb stick, Intel D510 mini-itx mainboard and a small ITX case that can support 2 or more sata drives. This will allow you more flexibility than anything else.

There is also xtreamer ultra software for PCs which can be used to make your HTPC similar to media players out there, which also has NAS features.

http://www.xtreamer.net/ultra/os/

I spent along time researching and trying various options to achieve this. IMHO by far the best solution is to set up an Unraid computer and use that as your media storage. Virtually any PC can be converted to this option and it's free to cheap depending on the options you choose.

It can be a bit techy to get it set up initially but there is a very friendly and helpful user community with a lot of experience and a willingness to help.

Once you have it running you can update, upgrade and add software including auto backups and web servers and mainly its all free. Your box will never be out of date (as dedicated NAS inevitably become) and you can add disks as your storage needs grow. My one is up to 15 terabytes now and I still have capacity to add another 15 terabytes if I ever need it.

Full details on the lime tech website at http://www.lime-technology.com/

Actually, if you have Windows 7 on your PC you can do pretty much everything in your OP, including streaming to the internet. Since hard drives are so huge and cheap now, the only real disadvantage is power consumption. But your home theatre should be a low power box anyway.

Actually, if you have Windows 7 on your PC you can do pretty much everything in your OP, including streaming to the internet. Since hard drives are so huge and cheap now, the only real disadvantage is power consumption. But your home theatre should be a low power box anyway.

I am trying to be environmentally friendly. I already have a Windows 7 PC that does all these things, but it is loud and hot and uses alot of energy. So the MyBook World is perfect. It has a web interface accessable from anywhere with internet, serves media on my home network and over the internet. You can add functionality by loading modules through the linux os built into it. Right now I have Transmission bit torrent client running, downloading directly to the drive. There is so much that can be done with it if you aren't afraid of a little linux biggrin.gif

You can always make your own cheap nas using FreeNAS on a usb stick, Intel D510 mini-itx mainboard and a small ITX case that can support 2 or more sata drives. This will allow you more flexibility than anything else.

My advice as well.

The mainboard is around 2400 baht. Mini-ATX case including power supply: 800 baht. Add memory (max 2x 2GB) and (a maximum of 2) SATA disks, install linux and you've got a machine that does anything you configure it to do.

It's silent and uses a minimum of power.

The successor of this board, the D525, doesn't run smooth without a monitor attached: it won't do warm reboots. So if you plan to use it as a headless server, go for the D510.

(if the problem mentioned above is fixed now, please do correct me)

I use a Linkstation Buffalo NAS - mine is a 4 bay one which i have filled up with 2TB drives - not the cheapest of drives but i needed a lot of storage. You can get smaller drives or go for the 2 bay option. It has a built in Torrent client, Media streamer, can handle backups etc - i think its likely to give you what you need, the bare units themselves are not overly expensive.

Its going to cost you the same as building something yourself (possibly less) and does what you need our the box.

As an actual Media player, i use a WD TV live edition, this is one of the best media players ive found. So far it plays every file i have tried to throw at it, including large .mkv's (8+ gb for instance) and it has regular firmware updates/support. My onlky gripe with this device is the interface, it feels a little bit 'yesterday' and they could have done much much better... but its capability to play stuff is just awesome.