Microsoft Unveils 'Windows 8' To World

Supernova

It is actually a very impressive presentation. The problem I think will be that it will take considerably resources to provide all the eyecandy in Windows 8, which usually translates to reduced battery life, but time will show.

Not a fan of Microsoft but competition is good. I hope Google/Android is watching ;)

Now your 24" wide screen desktop will handle just as shitty as your phone, with 10 HUGE buttons to choose from, but without the touch screen.

Great for disabled people unable to point a mouse at a small icon though.

I think it's pretty cool for tablets but pretty useless on 'real' hardware.

It is actually a very impressive presentation. The problem I think will be that it will take considerably resources to provide all the eyecandy in Windows 8, which usually translates to reduced battery life, but time will show

They are claiming that the specs required to run Windows 8 are the same as Windows 7.

Now your 24" wide screen desktop will handle just as shitty as your phone, with 10 HUGE buttons to choose from, but without the touch screen.

Touch screens will probably be the norm a few years down the track (IMHO).

Could be, though it will prove to be very awkward on a regular desktop screen, imagine sitting hunched forward an inch in front of a huge widescreen tapping away at enormous buttons that don't scale with the screen estate, but are made to fit on the lowest denominator, the 8" pad.

all this and much (much more) more including the MS OEM presentation were on satellite last week live and free to view - see http://www.thaisatellite.tv/home/intelsat-8/620-2-x-microsoftoem-feeds.html and by the looks of it they have some nice things coming to market, and I did download their free MS Mathematics for my kids after seeing this presentation from them (A must for all kids today and us oldies to keep up)

It is actually a very impressive presentation. The problem I think will be that it will take considerably resources to provide all the eyecandy in Windows 8, which usually translates to reduced battery life, but time will show

They are claiming that the specs required to run Windows 8 are the same as Windows 7.

Oh yeah! finger prints all over my desktop screen.

Great for disabled people unable to point a mouse at a small icon though.

I think it's pretty cool for tablets but pretty useless on 'real' hardware.

Don't write it off too soon people. This change to a "HTML" based OS is radically different to what we are all using now. I have a pretty 'high end' desk top and have been lucky enough, to have given Win 8 a four week test run. My 24" Hi Def LCD is not a "touch screen" and I didn't find that to be a problem at all. I ran it in 'virtual PC' mode to be safe for the 1st week and was quite impressed I must admit. So I then installed it as a 'second boot' and it was terrific. Cause of it being 'HTML' based, it was very light on the CPU. It seemed the same as Win 7 on the RAM - which I guess it would - but yes programs that I have used for a while now, started up much faster and appeared to run faster as well. I am not saying this will run just any old software, as I really don't know that it will or not. I didn't get IEX 10, but IEX 9 ran well enough. I normally run/use Firefox 4.0.1 and am now trying out vers 5 & 6, which both ran well, as did all my usual tabs and setup, though quite a few "add ons" were not compatible (or needed tweaking?). better/faster than before (though a clean partition has to be factored in there), were MS Word 2010, MS Reader(.Lit eBook reader), Corel Draw X5, Daemon Tools Lite, Win Rar, Win AVI Video converter, JLDownloader, Rapid Manager and Mega-manager, as well as VLC Media player, the Crysis 2 game, Serious Sam 2 game along with a few more that I don't recall. I am a little unsure if Win 8 was running in 64 bit mode (I run Win 7 Ultimate x64) as I didn't change the Bios, or in x86 - or maybe it is neither - I should know but sorry I don't.....will find out though. :whistling: I wish I had had a couple of those fast Solid State HDs to try it on. I am positive that would have been amazing. All in all, I was very impressed with Win 8, even though I only tried an early 'M1' build (build 7850 I think - not yet beta) of this new OS. Give it a chance people and don't shoot it down before it even gets finished and off the ground, especially as none of us can possibly have enough facts or knowledge at hand, to offer any really constructive criticism of it. I am just passing on how it performed during my short experience with it. I am not saying it's just the Ducks Nuts or anything else just yet. I am waiting for a newer build that I have been promised to download and try, before I say much else. Though I only ran this a short time, not yet sure how much more "resource heavy" this will be for it's eye candy etc, as this OS is built totally different from anything we've seen to date. From what I experienced, it was far lighter on cpu/mem than Win 7 and the 3D desktop app gave stunning effects with no noticeable loss of performance at all. For now though, good on Ya Microsoft and keep up the good work is how I'm thinking. The desktop screen I had, still had some similarities to Win 7s desktop that I am sure will change. It clearly read "concept" and despite the wee 3D screen app (which I hope they keep), I'm sure this is not how the full release version will look. It was fun though..... Very different to the "Mobile Desktop" screen shown in the you tube video in 'Supernovas' post here. It didn't have the right side task bar either, that was shown in that vid.

Edited by newtronbom

Oh yeah! finger prints all over my desktop screen.

Not my cup of tea either.....