Query About Studying In Thailand

Greetings...

First of all, my apologies is this question is in the wrong section ( i'm asking about being taught, not teaching myself ;) ). I was unable to find the right section for this. If there is, please do move the threat to where it belongs :)

I am currently studying Thai at a language school in the south of Thailand and meanwhile teaching English at several places. I do however have no degree at all due to travel throughout Asia since i was 20 y/o and during this time always managed good jobs where ever i was. Since i am done with all the traveling and more or less settled down in Thailand, i am feeling the urge of completing some unfinished business which is obtaining at least a Bachelor degree. Since ill be living in Thailand for a long time ahead, i might as well do it here.

Can anyone advice me whether this is a good idea to do this in Thailand and if possible, provide me with any feedback on the BA Arts Thai studies or any other piece of advice?

Thanks alot in advance!

(I don't expect alot of replies to this question, if anyone can point me out to a place/website where i can it would be appreciated :) )

Are you referring to a BA (Thai Studies) from a Thai university or to do one by distance mode from one abroad, e.g. Leeds? If the former, which Thai university do you have in mind?

There's also a thread on BA studies in Thai language in-country at

Edited by Xangsamhua

There are places in the south for you to study. Prince of Songla University in the Phuket has international programs. They have an excellent Chinese Business program that gets you a bachelors degree in 3 years by taking summer business classes in a different city each year in China. Cost is about average with other universities. Most places have some form of an international English BA degree. You have to decide what to study and where you think you want to live.

Chiang Mai is nice. Bangkok is busy. Phuket is touristy. Where do you think you want to live. International programs are everywhere.

On a side note. Scott, can you ask about having a sub forum on study in Thailand. There are almost 20,000 international students studying in Thailand. Perhaps we can get a new forum started.

I will bring it up with other Mods and Admin. I don't know if there is a lot of interest, but it is worth considering.

Thanks Scott. There are always study in Thailand questions in various forums.

International education is growing. Check out this news blurb...

The number of international students taking higher education programs in Thailand has overall risen by not less than 10% year on year. The total number registered by the Office of the Higher Education Commission from 103 institutions in 2009 was 19,052 students from 124 countries, an increase of 16.45% from 16,361 from 121 countries in the previous academic year (2008). Source

There are even more international students studying K-12. I'm sure there would be tons of interest.

Thx for the reply

I am living in Phuket for 1 year now, currently busy with long distance study and some English teaching left 'n right. The long distance study is from my home country and is only a certificate. Im not that young anymore (31 y/o) and i figured i could pick up where i left 10 years ago; getting bachelor degree. Since i am enjoying Thai studies alot i might as well start a BA Arts in Thai studies.

Xangsamhua, im going to do it in Thailand itself. Just seeking peoplé's thoughts on studying here as it does consume 4 years of time :)

Checking out the link you provided :)

More than i can get now :P

I have studied in India, got quite some certificates in ICT, got quite some experience on my CV (worked @ multinational companies in Asia, at my countries embassy, worked for govt. funded projects etc) currently teaching English as a non native speaker......all nice but i don't have a degree :D ......just bluffed my way through till now. Im sure a degree will create some more possibilities. It doenst really matter what i will study, i just want one and since i am obsessed with this place, Thai studies might be the right choice :)

I do need to add that i'm in a 'research - mode' now and starting with this ( or any other study in Thailand for that matter ) is still quite far away....just checking out what possibilities are available. :)

Edited by Yaroon79

I have to get out of the habit of reading through articles without really reading them well. I see now that you said you want to study Thai studies.

I am not aware of a BA program in Thailand that offers Thai studies as a degree. Most Thai studies programs are certificate or programs where a university sends a group of students to Thailand for a semester. They don't normally last 4 years. However, I don't know everything and perhaps someone else can shed some light on where a 4 year bachelors degree program is at.

I do have a friend who is studying Thai studies in the UK. So maybe there is a program here too.

I am at work now and have access to some more information.

Chulalongkorn University has a masters in Thai Studies

Mah Fah Luang University has a BA in Thai Language and Culture (sounds like Thai studies)

Prince of Songkla University has a BA in Thai Studies.

There are a few others offering BA programs for Thai language studies.

The book I am looking (dated 2011)at says there are 34 Public Higher Education and 26 Private Education institutions offering international higher education programs in Thailand. The programs I mentioned above are the only Thai studies programs in Thailand for a BA degree.

Richard,... i also found the info you posten left n right on the internet. Few days passed and i'm trying to find out IF i should pursue the Thai study program and where i would do it. Fact is that i have no plans to leave this country any time soon and this would make the Thai study kind of interesting.

Im currently living in Phuket but i am sure that Bangkok also has some options. Trying to find out the right ones at the moment :)

Richard,... i also found the info you posten left n right on the internet. Few days passed and i'm trying to find out IF i should pursue the Thai study program and where i would do it. Fact is that i have no plans to leave this country any time soon and this would make the Thai study kind of interesting.

Im currently living in Phuket but i am sure that Bangkok also has some options. Trying to find out the right ones at the moment :)

Yaroon, one of the hardest thing a student can do is pick their major. The next 4 years of your life will be dedicated to study. One thing you might want to consider though it what can you do with a Thai studies degree after you earn it. Will it help you find employment in the future or will your only choice be teaching English? There is nothing wrong with teaching English. It is a very honorable profession. However, you will have more choices if your degree is something other than an English or Thai studies degree.

You might be alone now, but in the future you might have a family. Plan wisely now for your future. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck.

Wise words :P

I do agree, it does limit the choices and it doesnt cover a wide area of professions. I am only probing at the moment after deciding to start a bachalor program in Thailand. After scorching the web looking for what's available the Thai studies captured my first interest. Thinking of what i can do with this in the future is what i am doing now, keeping in mind that i have no desire to leave this country any time soon.

It takes some time before i know what i will do as it also should have my interest too. I don't feel like ramming in topics and information in my head that don;t have my interest at all just for the sake of obtaining the degree.

:)

Wise words :P

I do agree, it does limit the choices and it doesnt cover a wide area of professions. I am only probing at the moment after deciding to start a bachalor program in Thailand. After scorching the web looking for what's available the Thai studies captured my first interest. Thinking of what i can do with this in the future is what i am doing now, keeping in mind that i have no desire to leave this country any time soon.

It takes some time before i know what i will do as it also should have my interest too. I don't feel like ramming in topics and information in my head that don;t have my interest at all just for the sake of obtaining the degree.

:)

If you have the time and the money, Thailand is just as good a place to study as anywhere else. You will need funds to live full time in Thailand so you can pay for a place to stay, food, as well as your tuition expenses. Every university charges a different price for their degree programs and the cost of living is different in every city. Your budget will have a lot to do with where you study. If you have a lot of money, you can pick a school like Chulalongkorn in Bangkok. If your money is limited, you might want to pick a less expensive school in a more affordable city. Also keep in mind how you will get back and forth to school. Your happiness level at times depends on your mode of transportation.