Divorce Thailand

Recently, October 2004, filed for divorce from my wife. Hired a lawyer who could bearly speak English. In December 2004, not hearing from him for 2 months, I went back to him to find out why he had not contacted me. He did not remember me! So, started over again and paid him his 10,000 Baht fee.

To make a very long story short. The wife was in the USA on one of her annual trips (1 each of 5 years). My son emailed me to tell me that she was not coming back (1966 all over again) - Dear John! Of course being that I was in Thailand, I went to the nearest bar and .........!

Oh! Forgot. She did come to Thailand in October 2004 and wanted to meet me at the local Amphur to file for divorce. So I traveled the 100 KM to the Ampur, at her chosen time - No wife. So I call her on the cell phone. 'I am getting my hair done and will be there in 2-3 hours!' Had no place to go so sat and waited. She comes 'struting' up to me, pointing her finger in my face and demands that I give her 50% of everything I have. I told her I wasn't giving her anything and walked away. Got back to my temporary home and filed for divorce.

The actual filing of papers was accomplished in January 2005. The trial was set for 4 April (my wedding anniversary was the 5th)! Prior to going to court the lawyer wanted to know what I expected to get from her. Nothing. I purchased 3/4 Rai of land for 60,000 Baht and built a 3 bedroom house for 400,000 Baht. I wanted nothing for her and I surely did not want to live in her village.

She was NOT notified of the court hearing. Not required according to lawyer because she was in the USA. Did have to publish a daily notice for 30 days in the newspaper???? I was living in Phayao at the time - no local newspaper!

Court day. Traveled the 100 KM to the court house at the appointed time! Waited 3 hours! Hummm! The lawyer shows up with a policeman as my interpreter - spoke darn good English. Finely get into the court, sworn-in, judge through interpreter asked many 'preprogrammed Q's and Answers', total elapsed time - approx 45 minutes. Judgement to be provided in a week - turned out to be 2 weeks. Over half of the Q's were answered by the interpreter. Spouse gets house and land. She already sold my car (October 2004). I want nothing except my freedom.

Lawyers gives me the judgement. I drive the 100 KM back to the Ampur. For 60 Baht I get the Final divorce degree. Ampur states that the former wife can get her copy when she returns to Thailand. 35 years down the drain. That's Life.

I scanned and emailed copies of all documents to my son. It was 2 weeks later I get and email stating that 'mom' got married !!