Cleaning The Klong

Hi there,

I was caught driving while being slightly intoxicated (0.58).

After paying Bail/fine etc. and seeing the judge the outcome was that I need to do 20 hrs of cleaning the Klong. However my question now is: Do I need to be given a work permit for working for the government?

Dont want to spent extra nights in jail for working without work-permit?!

I remember when the government cracked down on the volunteers in the South after the tsunami.

Raybkk,

Play safe go for the work permit.

Don't forget you can't start work until you get the permit. Insist on this.

You'll need to go back to the Judge (your employer) and get copy of Govt registration papers, accounts, details of other employees, salaries etc etc. Don't forget to try for the minimum wage (depends on your nationality).

Judge may think the paperwork isn't worth and let you go with a slapped wrist or you could be jailed for contempt. But surely better than worrying out committing another offence. :o

It does not matter what the work is, or how you came by it, you need a

Non-Immigrant visa and a work permit.

However if you push the matter the judge may change the sentence and

send you to jail!! Be careful.

Ray,

My comments were intended tongue in cheek. I suspect your original post was intended to elicit a light hearted response.

I don't know how to interpret Astrals comment. Taken to extreme if you decide to change a cracked roof tile on your house you need a work permit.

Seriously. Just do the 20hrs. You are not doing paid work and you are definitely not a volunteer. You are carrying out a sentence imposed by a court.

Isn't Bangkok Hilton the womens Correctional Facility at Bang Khen?

Bang Kwang Prison

Inmate’s daily routine (except Saturday, Sunday and national holidays)

06.00 Hours Breakfast

08.30 Hours Attend vocational training or educational programs

12.00 Hours Lunch

13.00 Hours Attend vocational training or educational programs

15.30 Hours Recreation and personal activities

16.30 Hours Dinner

17.30 Hours Lockup

21.00 Hours Prayer and bedtime ovaltine (I added the ovaltine)

Source: Dept of Corrections.

If you are executed that morning you forgo lunch.

So seems even Thai inmates don't work. Don't see what good vocational training is if you are on death row. Still as they believe in reincarnation gives you a good start in your next life

Anyway....treatment of foreigners is insidious...if they can't work how on earth do they pay off the 200baht/day fine when their visa expires or do they have to apply for visa extensions every year? If refused do they qualify for deportation.

Health hazards - bring in UK Elf and safety executive that'll sort things out.

Isn't Bangkok Hilton the womens Correctional Facility at Bang Khen?

You mean Khlong Prem prison.

It is often referred to as the Hilton.

The Bangkok Hilton is a nickname remember.

The original one was Bang Kwang, Nonthaburi, and will always be.

OP, I can't believe you are serious when thinking about getting a WP, you must be joking, right?

I do some voluntary work for a government institution, there's no way they would try to do me for not having a WP.

Neeranam,

No I did mean the womens faciltiy also in Nonthaburi. In the UK, reports always focused on the womens prison as it ellicits sympathy (male traffickers don't) and they invariably refer to it as the Hilton. In fact I have just read the transcript of an australian TV report for a programme called 60minutes in which they state Bang Kwang is only the mens equivalent of the Hilton.

However the BBC confirms the Hilton is the mens prison. It also reports that one Englishman is allowed to work teaching english to Thai inmates. The report is over a year old but I presume he is still there.

But be assured, I would have accepted your reponse irrespective of the BBC.

Anyway I stray from the purpose of this forum

Raybkk, I'm curious, what is the bail and fine of driving while drunk in Thailand? Also, I wonder if Thai citizens pay the same price.

It all depends on their mood. At the night of the arrest they asked 20000 Baht in Cash. I refused and choose to stay overnight so that I could sort things out.

In the morning they called my boss (they had my passport & Workpermit) and told my boss to sent somebody with 30000 Baht.

A friend (Thai) who found out i was at the police station came in the morning and negotiated Baht 10000. (Other Thai Guys that where also arrested and spent the night in jail had to post Baht 20000.-) I gave him my ATM and was on the street within 2 hours.

However I ended up paying the police an extra 1000 in Cash and a bottle of 100 pipers.

The worst part is to get the money back after you have seen the judge. They stall you for days and then finally they give you a check which takes another 3 days to clear.

The judge gave me 20 working hours and a fine of Baht 4000.-

Reported yesterday morning to show up for duty but the parole officer told me that the judge had withdrawn my job duty as cleaning klongs and only have to report once every 3 months starting in January 2006. The parole officer said that most foreigners are more lucky then Thais.

Well all in all, I am not driving and drinking anymore. Now just go home, park the car and take a taxi should I go out.

I was a good lesson. Strange though... during the 11 years being in Thailand I thoght it would never happen to me. Well.... comes to show... you never know.

Raybkk,

Play safe go for the work permit.

Don't forget you can't start work until you get the permit. Insist on this.

You'll need to go back to the Judge (your employer) and get copy of Govt registration papers, accounts, details of other employees, salaries etc etc. Don't forget to try for the minimum wage (depends on your nationality).

Judge may think the paperwork isn't worth and let you go with a slapped wrist or you could be jailed for contempt. But surely better than worrying out committing another offence. :o

Well, as you can see from my earlier reply the judge has changed his sentence and doesn't let me do the job for which I turned up yesterday morning. Really I wouldn't have mind doing some work for them since I was at fault. But if they tell me that the judge has changed his ruling in this case I am not comlpaining (all papers where shown to me that morning)

Interesting story.

Having fallen foul of the law here a number of years ago, I quickly learned that the bail period in Thailand is 12 days. That was confirmed by my Embassy and lawyers.

As far as a work permit is concerned and that getting you off deportation, I think you're lucky.