What Is The Best Internet Package?

Africk78

A mixture of naive and pressing questions...my wife is working as an international consultant from home while I teach in an international school--so while my internet access will be no problem, she needs consistent access to Skype, Gmail, various websites etc. We're not sure just how fast of a connection we should be getting from TrueLife. Unless there is some cable package out there with channels worthwhile to watch (i.e. something other than Thai reality shows and Chinese soap operas), we likely only need an internet package. Any thoughts?

She also has an unlocked Iphone, while I have the first model Droid (can't find someone in Bangkok who knows how to unlock it, though)--we keep trying to use the wi-fi connections in malls but we're not sure whether/how mobile service works. Is this a separate passcode for mobile internet usage? And is it worthwhile to purchase?

What is available will depend on the area you live in but I think the TOT 6M ADSL at 590THB/month is hard to better for value for money you need to pay a bit of 100THB/month for a phone line as well if you not got one. I have read bad things about True internet in this forum so I check if that the way you want to go. Most of the issues you hear about here are more about the age and quality of the cooper cabling so if your in a good newer area it wil be fine if it an older area ask around as you may find it less than 100% reliable. I am in Sathorn in a new part so it very good other part could be bad.

I think there are other ISPs doing 590THB a month for 6M but I have not used them so maybe other OPS can give us their options on those ISPs as well.

Depends where you are as to quality.

We are in Pattaya and have True 10 Meg DL 1Meg UPload and pay about 1200 a month.

On the whole it's pretty good but they do have a tendancy to drop connection and seem to drop Sundays for maintenance.

I think we have net about 95% of the time so on the whole it's not too bad, Bearing in mind we are in Thailand.

With that you get a passcode to use True Wifi on your mobile when out and about.

What version of Android are you using? And what phone is it?

A lot of Droids have the unlock code on the phone and Rooting it and unlocking it can be done via an App.

Post the details here and I'll see if I can find the info for your model and Android version.

Wait, so I have to pay for a phoneline as well? Where do I pay for that? We received our modem (not sure if we need to buy a separate router, as our computers are telling us that DSL hasn't been set up yet) from True a few days ago and apparently True has turned our internet "on," but our building needs to turn on our phone line through a technician...they've been stalling for the last day...does this mean there is someone somewhere we should be paying? We're on Sukhomvit Soi 10 and in a building that seems modern enough, maybe built 20 years ago max

Regarding my phone, it's just a standard first-generation Droid from Motorola...I tried to unroot it myself but had a lot of trouble doing it on my Mac (no surprise there) as well on my wife's several-years-old PC. Will try again on a Windows XP desktop tomorrow but am by no means sure re. which app and how to use it.

As always, appreciative of Thaivisa members' support!