Thejobpro

mr hippo

I had a badly-worded e-mail from this company a few months ago now and a friend suggested that I go to see them for a job. After looking at their website and speaking to them, I have decided not to go. The site to me says only one thing - SCAM!

Has anyone heard of 'The Government Project' mentioned on their home page? Get a job with no qualifications or experience.

'All accepted applicants are granted a 1 year work permit' but later they say 'The school will organize all issues about work permit, visa

and accommodations.'

They even throw in an advert for their modelling agency halfway through explaining about 'The Government Project'

Anyone know about this outfit?

It sounds like one of those agencies which will sell your services for a good bit more than they will pay you. An aquaintance of mine (whom wished to remain in Bangkok for what many will say was the wrong reason i.e. a woman) worked for one such place.

He was promised all the above but never got a sausage qualification, accommodation or Work Permit wise. His pay averaged 250B an hour and he was working all over Bangkok often with some pretty nasty commutes thrown into the mix. To his credit he lasted a year before he actually revealed that he had a Degree and managed to get a permanant situation.

There may well be some reputable agencies in Bangkok however unless you fulfil the criteria for a work permit which I'm certain is set at the minimum of a Batchelors Degree for teaching (although I could be wrong) then you won't get a work permit therefore any work you do in Thailand will be illlegal.

As with anything in life; if it seems too good to be true, treat it with extreme caution.

• 2 months later...
I had a badly-worded e-mail from this company a few months ago now and a friend suggested that I go to see them for a job. After looking at their website and speaking to them, I have decided not to go. The site to me says only one thing - SCAM!

Has anyone heard of 'The Government Project' mentioned on their home page? Get a job with no qualifications or experience.

'All accepted applicants are granted a 1 year work permit' but later they say 'The school will organize all issues about work permit, visa

and accommodations.'

They even throw in an advert for their modelling agency halfway through explaining about 'The Government Project'

and accommodations.'

Tha agency is called OLA and the badly written email was written by a swede with only passable English.

I am working on the govt project that they advertised (In Nonthaburi). They are paying 40k mnth. Haven't seen any signs of a scam yet, however some of the organisational skills on display would make your eyes water. The school they have given me is 1st class and I don't have any complaints, but I know some of the other teachers are not as happy as I am. They hired 211 teachers for 159 schools, all in Nonthaburi.

Hi my name is Tom, one of the owner of www.thejobpro.com

to clarify some of the statements above. The government project has now around 280 Teachers on going employed either trough Chalongorn University or Ramkamheng University. Thejobpro.com was contacted by the project group in a short notice to supply these teachers and we did. The project group (OLA is 1 part of them) is a fraction between many government schools/leading officials to seek out the best project leader. Thejobpro gets its foundlings from the government, and any school company or agency can hire thejobpro.com for recruiting/training personnel in any field of work WE ARE NOT AN AGENCY only a recruiting company where any one can find an employee for by posting a free ad on our site. Any might wrong doing from a school or agency past on from our company web site its out of our hands, but we do take it serious if it will happen and will consider any further commitments if it will happen.SCAM they said ??? 280 people are working inside the project already and all of them have a work permit as we promised. Now we are going to continue with the next step of the project and hopefully it will be better then the first 2 steps. Please reply and i will sort things out if I can. Tom

Individual schools it seems (when they actually get them).

Tom from one of your teachers:

Hi I'm one of the teachers in the Nonthaburi Government Project, from Chulallongkorn University. Our work permits was just issued to us this week and we have been working since July this year. we paid a lot for this and we will be using it for two months only. our Visas will expire on Feb 2006 also but we paid for one year extension of Visa. Does it mean if get a job again after February we have to renew our Visas which I think should not be the case. We feel that we have been cheated on. We paid 6,000 all in all for extension and work permit. please help us. Thanks and Merry Christmas to you.
Edited by kenkannif

Tom, you represent yourself to be one of the owners of the recruiting agencies for English teachers, responding in a Thai teaching forum. Your spelling and especially your grammar are unprofessional. Some of your sentences are almost indecipherable. You were given a most difficult if not impossible task at the last minute, in a project which by all reports is an unholy mess. It appears the majority of your recruits are not native speakers of English, and the reported salary is well above the going standard in the greater BKK area for non-native EFL recruits. The reports we've seen from folks in the project indicate that the organization is very chaotic, the information is not forthcoming, contracts were not issued until well after the program started, commmunication is lacking, and these primarily non-native EFL teachers are being farmed out to schools in Nonthaburi that are unprepared to receive or utilize them.

Is that fair enough, based on all the comments on another forum? One more thing - how are you checking the degrees? Are you checking the references, looking for academic transcripts, actually interviewing candidates and requiring them to give demo lessons?

Edited by PeaceBlondie

Individual schools it seems (when they actually get them).

Tom from one of your teachers:

Hi I'm one of the teachers in the Nonthaburi Government Project, from Chulallongkorn University. Our work permits was just issued to us this week and we have been working since July this year. we paid a lot for this and we will be using it for two months only. our Visas will expire on Feb 2006 also but we paid for one year extension of Visa. Does it mean if get a job again after February we have to renew our Visas which I think should not be the case. We feel that we have been cheated on. We paid 6,000 all in all for extension and work permit. please help us. Thanks and Merry Christmas to you.

Hi again, Yes! My English is not perfect (I am not a native speaker), but I will try to make my self as clear as possible. I am working inside jobpro.com and we was hired to get the first batch for chula. and also the second batch for Ram. Our responibility, contract said max 50% south east asians, minimum 25% native speaker and 25% other. We did the recruitment,just, with this in mind. The first batch went to chula and they will be tranfered over to Ram for the second semester (as far as I know). The second batch went to Ram. Both Ram as well as chula did the final screening, thejobpro.com was not involved in the final screening. We do have a contract for follow ups, but Ram trying to do it all by them selfes and in my mind they dont have the experiance needed to the full. Both UNI. are responsible to handle all matters, WP etc. for the teachers, not the schools. Tom